join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: Verizon not going to replace copper damaged by Sandy

There are a couple of reasons:

- Because FIOS is not available everywhere the copper was damaged

- The regulations are different for FIOS and people should not be forced on to it

- It will take much longer to move people into FIOS as opposed to simply fixing the copper

- In all likelihood, FEMA is giving them money to FIX the copper... not ignore it.

For an area that isn't livable right now and must be completely rebuilt I can see Verizon doing this; there is no reason to put copper into a greenfield area. Where there are people living and businesses trying to open this should be illegal.

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

rit56

And when the next storm rolls around no service. Copper wired phones have electric backup and people here I know with old landlines still had access to the world.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer
said by CXM_Splicer:

- In all likelihood, FEMA is giving them money to FIX the copper... not ignore it.

I think that is insane. Shouldn't Verizon or whoever the local phone company is be expected to have some form of private insurance, or money set aside, to fix these things?

Verizon was a Fortune 10 company the last time I checked. They don't need corporate welfare. If I am expected to save up my own cash or have insurance to cover the costs of catastrophic losses for my stuff, then so should they.

This and every other disaster proves that FEMA is the biggest, saddest joke of a government agency. They literally cannot do anything right, period. Perhaps it IS time to disband it and simply let states and local government have access to these funds so they can do their own disaster preparation instead. Consider how California responds to an earthquake, or how Florida responds to a hurricane. They seem to be far more on top of things than the federal government ever will.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by pnh102:

said by CXM_Splicer:

I think that is insane. Shouldn't Verizon or whoever the local phone company is be expected to have some form of private insurance, or money set aside, to fix these things?

Verizon was a Fortune 10 company the last time I checked. They don't need corporate welfare. If I am expected to save up my own cash or have insurance to cover the costs of catastrophic losses for my stuff, then so should they.

This and every other disaster proves that FEMA is the biggest, saddest joke of a government agency. They literally cannot do anything right, period. Perhaps it IS time to disband it and simply let states and local government have access to these funds so they can do their own disaster preparation instead. Consider how California responds to an earthquake, or how Florida responds to a hurricane. They seem to be far more on top of things than the federal government ever will.

Your attack on FEMA is based on one posters speculation that they're giving money to Verizon. I have found no proof of that anywhere.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

1 recommendation

meeeeeeeeee

Anyway... next disaster how would we survive without the Feeble Excuse Making Agency? It's a tough job... but SOMEONE has to do it.
lv66vette
join:2004-07-01
Miami, FL

lv66vette

Go ahead and knock FEMA, until you need it, you will be the first in line.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by lv66vette:

At which point you will be like the poor saps in New Orleans and New York who did not heed the warnings and prepare. Starving and without energy.

We should all simply accept that when (not if) disaster strikes, you will be on your own and no government help will come at all. Plan and prepare accordingly. It is not that hard to do.
pnh102

pnh102 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Your attack on FEMA is based on one posters speculation that they're giving money to Verizon. I have found no proof of that anywhere.

This is government we are talking about. It is prudent to assume they are always doing the wrong thing until proven otherwise.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
said by CXM_Splicer:

There are a couple of reasons:

- Because FIOS is not available everywhere the copper was damaged

- The regulations are different for FIOS and people should not be forced on to it

- It will take much longer to move people into FIOS as opposed to simply fixing the copper

For an area that isn't livable right now and must be completely rebuilt I can see Verizon doing this; there is no reason to put copper into a greenfield area. Where there are people living and businesses trying to open this should be illegal.

This is Old Union Mentality, replace Obsolete Copper for job security. You can't fix Copper you have to replace it, so why not do it with Fiber. Copper is even more expensive these days. So spend the money wisely and put it into Fiber connecting equipment that is not obsolete and going to be taken out soon. Verizon in a crises like this does not worry about where the funds are coming from, they could sort that out later. Like I said before, Verizon main concern is The Customer, but they will work in the fastest, most efficient way possible, and utilize their funds effectively.

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

1 recommendation

meeeeeeeeee to pnh102

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

said by lv66vette:

At which point you will be like the poor saps in New Orleans and New York who did not heed the warnings and prepare. Starving and without energy.

We should all simply accept that when (not if) disaster strikes, you will be on your own and no government help will come at all. Plan and prepare accordingly. It is not that hard to do.

How many people DIED in New Orleans waiting for the Feeble Excuse Making Agency? You BETTER be prepared to take care of yourself, because Washington won't.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
NYC

1 edit

CXM_Splicer to alchav

Premium Member

to alchav
quote:
This is Old Union Mentality, replace Obsolete Copper for job security. You can't fix Copper you have to replace it, so why not do it with Fiber. Copper is even more expensive these days. So spend the money wisely and put it into Fiber connecting equipment that is not obsolete and going to be taken out soon. Verizon in a crises like this does not worry about where the funds are coming from, they could sort that out later. Like I said before, Verizon main concern is The Customer, but they will work in the fastest, most efficient way possible, and utilize their funds effectively.

Strangely, your post didn't address a single one of the problems I brought up. Your dismissal as 'old union mentality' isn't going to help the people who will be out for months waiting for a FIOS roll-out nor the people who live in areas without a franchise (IOW, no chance of FIOS).

There is little doubt in anyone's mind that the shareholders are Verizon's main concern; pretending otherwise is akin to believing in Santa Claus.
CXM_Splicer

CXM_Splicer to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

TRUST ME... if someone else wasn't paying the bill, Verizon wouldn't have us working 12 hr days, 7 days a week; they have lobbied away most of the regulations that would require them to expedite repairs. Verizon has to declare a 'State of emergency' (which forces us to work) in order to get the bucks from Uncle Sam. I don't have proof that it is FEMA but it seems likely since they are tasked with infrastructure recovery... the managers quite openly state we get money from them. Maybe it was just a coincidence that immediately after the FEMA relief fund for hurricane Irene was closed, Verizon's emergency was over and our overtime cut. I will try to dig up some documentation tomorrow at work.

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

1 edit

meeeeeeeeee to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
said by CXM_Splicer:

There is little doubt in anyone's mind that the shareholders are Verizon's main concern; pretending otherwise is akin to believing in Santa Claus.

There IS a Santa Claus, for Verizon anyway. It's name was Sandy this time, and came just a little early and Verizon is going to Ho Ho Ho all the way to the bank.

Before you start, there's a Tooth Fairy too. She rips the gold crowns from taxpayers mouths at night to pay for it all. Her initials are I.R.S.

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
said by CXM_Splicer:

quote:

Strangely, your post didn't address a single one of the problems I brought up. Your dismissal as 'old union mentality' isn't going to help the people who will be out for months waiting for a FIOS roll-out nor the people who live in areas without a franchise (IOW, no chance of FIOS).

Remember we are mainly talking about Phone Service, replacing the Copper only deals with Phone and maybe old DSL Internet.

- Because FIOS is not available everywhere the copper was damaged.

Verizon is a Service Company, and they will work with what is available to serve their Customers as fast and efficiently as possible. If there is Fiber there they will use it, if not Verizon will make plans to run Fiber or in some cases where this is not feasible existing Copper will be replaced. A Service Company is there to provide Service.

- The regulations are different for FIOS and people should not be forced on to it.

Regulations for Phone are no different whether on Copper or Fiber. Most people will not know the difference as long as they get Dial Tone.

- It will take much longer to move people into FIOS as opposed to simply fixing the copper.

If the Fiber is there all they have to do is install the Interface Equipment and fire it up Dial Tone is there. Should be no problem.

Like I said, Verizon is not worried about the funding, they are a Service Company, and they will provide Service to their Customers in the fastest most efficient way.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

quote:
Verizon is a Service Company, and they will work with what is available to serve their Customers as fast and efficiently as possible. If there is Fiber there they will use it, if not Verizon will make plans to run Fiber or in some cases where this is not feasible existing Copper will be replaced. A Service Company is there to provide Service.
I guess you didn't understand my first post... existing copper is NOT being replaced, that's the point. If you want to pretend that it is, why not just save yourself a step and pretend their phones are already fixed?
quote:
Regulations for Phone are no different whether on Copper or Fiber. Most people will not know the difference as long as they get Dial Tone.

Wrong. FIOS is VoIP, are you familiar with it? Try and call your state PSC and tell them your Vonage or Magic Jack isn't working and you want to file a complaint.
quote:
If the Fiber is there all they have to do is install the Interface Equipment and fire it up Dial Tone is there. Should be no problem.

Well, that I almost agree with... at least those people will get dial tone back. Problem is many don't want FIOS; as was just made perfectly clear, it is unreliable in a power outage. Many don't want to be responsible for replacing a backup battery. Many don't want a large box added to the side of their house. Many don't want to wait the weeks or months it will take to get FIOS to them.

What about the people where the fiber isn't there? What should I tell them?

How about the people who aren't getting fiber and who's copper isn't getting fixed? What should I tell them? Just that it 'should be no problem'?

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess you didn't understand my first post... existing copper is NOT being replaced, that's the point. If you want to pretend that it is, why not just save yourself a step and pretend their phones are already fixed?

I said Verizon is a Service Company, and if the Copper is not being replaced there is a good reason. Fiber is a better Infrastructure, and Verizon is probably headed in that direction.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrong. FIOS is VoIP, are you familiar with it? Try and call your state PSC and tell them your Vonage or Magic Jack isn't working and you want to file a complaint.

Splicer, I know you mean well but you are way off base, FiOS Phone is not VoIP it is a form of Packet Switching. The Phone Data comes over Fiber to the Interface Equipment, and out the RJ11 Jack over the Home Copper Wiring. To the Average Person it's transparent, the Dial Tone sounds a little different. I have an Ooma Line which is VoIP and connected to my Router and the calls come over my Internet connection. Another Digital Phone is TWC that comes over Coax to their Modem...Packet Switching.
quote:

Well, that I almost agree with... at least those people will get dial tone back. Problem is many don't want FIOS; as was just made perfectly clear, it is unreliable in a power outage. Many don't want to be responsible for replacing a backup battery. Many don't want a large box added to the side of their house. Many don't want to wait the weeks or months it will take to get FIOS to them.

What about the people where the fiber isn't there? What should I tell them?

How about the people who aren't getting fiber and who's copper isn't getting fixed? What should I tell them? Just that it 'should be no problem'?

You are correct FiOS does have some draw backs, the biggest being Power. Sometimes progress has it's short comings, but I'm sure in the future this will be worked out. Bottom line is that Copper Equipment is obsolete and will be eliminated. If the Fiber is not there it will be laid, and like I said, if it's not feasible to run Fiber I'm sure Copper will be used. Verizon will not leave anyone without Service.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

You are apparently unfamiliar with Verizon's Digital Voice service which is the only option for new subs (which storm victim conversions will be) and is a VoIP service. If you make a change to your account, they also will put you on DV service; like it or not.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi ··· al_Voice

This thread will enlighten you:
»The end of Freedom Essentials

You (and others here) claim that copper is obsolete despite the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of customers across the country still working on it. Do you work for Verizon? Shareholder perhaps? Maybe a contracted PR company? Many people (almost always with a financial interest) claim that any form of less regulation is 'progress'. Your version of progress apparently includes leaving customers without service.

For more enjoyment and greater efficiency, consumption is being standardized. THX1138

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

One would think with all the NOISE coming from Washington about infrastructure security that they would encourage keeping the old copper networks up and running as a backup to the new fiber networks. They do the job (voice and even limited data communications) quite well and in the case of a catastrophic failure (a small example of which we recently saw when two fiber cables were accidentally cut in the Mid West leaving much of the North West in the dark) would at least allow people to communicate. If a couple of accidental cable cuts can wreak this much havoc, what would a planned terrorist assault do?
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

I would at least think that they would demand some kind of quality standard for reliability. Eight hours of phone service is pretty ridiculous in a disaster but they will use the 'most people have a cellphone' excuse as a way out. As we saw, cell service doesn't fare well in a disaster either.

alchav
Saint George, UT

1 edit

alchav to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
said by CXM_Splicer:

You are apparently unfamiliar with Verizon's Digital Voice service which is the only option for new subs (which storm victim conversions will be) and is a VoIP service. If you make a change to your account, they also will put you on DV service; like it or not.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi ··· al_Voice

You (and others here) claim that copper is obsolete despite the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of customers across the country still working on it. Do you work for Verizon? Shareholder perhaps? Maybe a contracted PR company? Many people (almost always with a financial interest) claim that any form of less regulation is 'progress'. Your version of progress apparently includes leaving customers without service.

Okay, I did some research and Verizon Digital Voice is VoIP, and Wikipedia is correct. Phone Service is all Packets, but the delivery is the difference. FiOS Digital Voice are Laser Light Signals sent over the Fiber from the C.O. Equipment to the Premise ONT and converted to Electronic Signals and then out on the RJ11 at the ONT connected to the Phone. VoIP has Voice Packets or Data coming over the Internet portion of FiOS at the ONT and out the RJ45 or Coax to the Modem/Router. Digital Phone makes for a better Quality of Voice.

I know what I am talking about, I retired from PacBell with 31 great years. I started as a young Frame Person in a Step C.O. in L.A., and retired a Second Level Service Manager in San Jose. As for Copper being obsolete, it had it's run, and you guys are correct, "It takes a Licken and keeps on Ticken." I saw Copper go through many Storms, and we kept the Dial Tone coming. That Equipment is old and has to be replaced. Things just don't last forever, no matter how much we like them.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Somehow 'Okay, I did some research' and 'I know what I am talking about' just don't go together well:
quote:
Verizon’s FiOS Digital Voice was always digital, but relied on central switches to route phone calls. Now the product uses Session Internet Protocols and softswitches in the home to privately manage calls on Verizon’s network which increases QoS while also reducing costs for Verizon

»gigaom.com/2010/06/04/ve ··· ll-voip/
quote:
Verizon has announced a VoIP-based service for its residential FiOS customers: FiOS Digital Voice has been launched in 11 states and the District of Columbia.

»www.networkworld.com/new ··· ce1.html
said by Verizon :
3. What is Digital Voice broadband phone service?

Digital Voice is a Voice-over-Internet-Protocol (VoIP) service that offers phone service over a broadband Internet connection instead of through a traditional telephone network.

»support.verizonwireless. ··· hub.html
said by the Digital Voice User Guide :
Since your FiOS Digital Voice service is VoIP-based, you aren’t
limited to a telephone number from your local area.

»www22.verizon.com/fiosvo ··· uide.pdf

The main point that you are neglecting is that many customers will be without phone service for MONTHS while Verizon rolls out FIOS to all the effected areas. CLECs will never be reconnected. How exactly is this 'Customer Service'?

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
With everything going LTE things just got a whole lot worse for cellphone reliability from a security standpoint (see tonights news about knocking out a city's LTE network for around $700). I hate to say it, but that old copper network really has the best reliability. Little pieces could get knocked off by a tree, but it was really hard to knock out much more than a neighborhood without a LOT of work.

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
Okay Splicer, you were correct, FiOS Digital Voice is VoIP I was wrong. I corrected my previous Post. It's all Packet Data now and Convergence has taken over. The traditional PSTN is going to be a thing of the past, and I guess that is what you were saying we should keep it as a back up. I'm sure they will as long as it is possible. These old Networks come in handy in time of crisis.

As for your main concern, rolling out FiOS is going to take longer than replacing damaged Copper. I'm sure Verizon will take all this into account and will come up with a plan to provide Service to their Customers as fast as possible. The CLEC's are Customers too and Verizon will come up with a plan to take care of them.
RudolfR
join:2012-11-26

RudolfR to lv66vette

to lv66vette
Well, actually, you might do better with private insurance. Quite a few people have reported that their interacting with FEMA (and SBA) contributed more to their health problems than to their recovery.
RudolfR

RudolfR to alchav

to alchav
Verizon will not leave anyone without Service.
RudolfR

RudolfR to alchav

to alchav

I am a Verizon customer, and I remain without service. I have been told, effectively, to screw off; I use DSL (working, so the twisted pair is fine...) and that means POTS, not FIOS.

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav

said by RudolfR:

I am a Verizon customer, and I remain without service. I have been told, effectively, to screw off; I use DSL (working, so the twisted pair is fine...) and that means POTS, not FIOS.

In a crises like you have there in your area, Verizon will prioritize their work and try and to Service the most effected. Fiber is the Future Infrastructure, and if it is available Verizon will use it. You have elected to wait for the Copper to be replaced. So Verizon will take this into consideration, but will use it's resources with what is available now which is Fiber. When Verizon has time and resources to analyze the remaining un-served Customers, then the Copper may be replaced in certain areas or the Customers will be told their options. Remember Copper is old technology connected to old equipment, that will be removed eventually.

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee to RudolfR

to RudolfR
said by RudolfR:

Most states have a "Public Service Commission" or "Public Utilities Commission" that rule copper and certain legal requirements for copper's maintenance. Perhaps you should call yours and see if they can assist you in your situation.