Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19
reply to SwedishRider

Re: Voltage Drop Tolerances

Where are you getting 30A from?
And what do you mean by "single set of conductors"???

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
said by Speedy Petey:

Where are you getting 30A from?
And what do you mean by "single set of conductors"???

I have a 30A breaker backfed (with an interlock) for the generator, which is 30A, 120V/240V. Wire is 10 gauge. I'm assuming maximum capacity of load on that wire.

Single set of conductors was one of the choices in that calculator... click the link I posted and check it out. I think my situation is "single set of conductors". Something has to be selected in that spot for the calculator to work.

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19
said by SwedishRider:

Wire is 10 gauge. I'm assuming maximum capacity of load on that wire.

Not at all. What is the output of the genny?

said by SwedishRider:

Single set of conductors was one of the choices in that calculator... click the link I posted and check it out. I think my situation is "single set of conductors". Something has to be selected in that spot for the calculator to work.

You should have used "raceway cable or earth" for the calculation.
What kind of wire did you run?

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
said by Speedy Petey:

Not at all. What is the output of the genny?

Generator is 6000 running watts, 7000 surge. I was told that I could use a different generator up to 7500 watts given my setup (30A breaker with 10 gauge wire).

You should have used "raceway cable or earth" for the calculation.
What kind of wire did you run?

Not an option in that calculator. Must choose one of the following 4 options:
-single set of conductors
-2 conductors per phase in parallel
-3 conductors per phase in parallel
-4 conductors per phase in parallel

And they give this note:

Examples for parallel runs: 120/240V single phase system with single black-red-white conductors (installed in single conduit) select "single set of conductors", 120/208V 3phase system with 2 conductors per phase and neutral (installed in 2 parallel conduits) select "2 conductors per phase in parallel", dc system with 3 positive and 3 negative conductors select "3 conductors per phase in parallel".

Currently have 10 gauge wire from the main panel to the inlet box (about 50') and 25' section of 10 gauge wire with 4-prong ends (male and female). To comfortably reach where the generator is, I probably need to have a bit longer cord made up... say 30ish feet. I could get 8 awg cable for that run... not sure if gauge upgrade is needed given my circumstances.