spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

WCCP and proxy settings

What can you tell me about WCCP? I was running an ISA2K4 server and using WPAD to manage IE proxy settings but was ordered to dismantle it and relinquish control to CorpIT (I am DivIT).

Corporate standard is IronPort and they use WCCP. There is a bit of a power struggle between DivIT and CorpIT and they use secrecy as their primary weapon, so asking them questions is not an option.

The group that manages IronPort are weak on the client side and say only that I should be setting IE to "Automatically detect settings" but won't say why. Doing so, introduces a considerable delay for all of my XP/SP3 clients.

I blanked out and turned off all proxy settings and it solved the delay problem but I don't know if there may be a downside to it. Preliminary testing revealed none so far but I wonder if there may be something lurking to bite me come Monday morning.

Thanks

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We ··· Protocol
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

I had already skimmed over that doc but didn't see anything that would suggest it interacts in any way with Internet Explorer proxy settings like WPAD does.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

it has 0 interactions with any OS. it's the routers job to detect and redirect all HTTP(S) traffics to the proxy server. So not sure how and OS works, that's up to DivIT. From the network perspective no settings are needed. Please go read up a bit on Google and not sure how you ended up in DivIT without research...
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

said by Da Geek Kid:

...not sure how you ended up in DivIT without research...

I could say the same for the CorpIT that say to set IE to "Automatically detect settings" but then not be able to explain why.

Why should I have to learn about WCCP when I have nothing to do with the Cisco routers and IronPort?

I learned all I had to know about WPAD and ISA server when I implemented and supported it. If they (CorpIT) want to take it over they should learn what they need to about client req's and not be spouting off crap they don't know.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

said by LLigetfa:

... but then not be able to explain why.

Because they don't know any better? Secrecy rarely cloaks incompetence. (I've worked with enough .gov sites/people to know this.)

Why should I have to learn about WCCP when I have nothing to do with the Cisco routers and IronPort?

Who said you had to? If a different group is going to do the network policing, then it's their f'ing problem to understand how to do it.