All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF

[DVR] So what's the word on the FiOS Home Server?

I think that is what it's called?

Has anyone been able to test it out yet? I thought Verizon said they would have it deployed in Q4. I think we're about half way through, so I'm guessing it must be in trials?

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

1 edit

nascar

VMS testing is still in the labs at Vz.

Also you must choose between your current QIP setup or VMS. They can not coexist in the home.

I would think (realistically) we are looking at Q1/Q2 for a roll out.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

Wish they had a place to sign up for beta test.
Unless it would be really buggy, I have no problem with swapping out my STBs for VMS.
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

said by crgauth:

Wish they had a place to sign up for beta test.
Unless it would be really buggy, I have no problem with swapping out my STBs for VMS.

»www36.verizon.com/MM/Pro ··· nIn.aspx

No gurantee the VMS will be part of this but if it is we should get to beta test it.
Timothy28

Timothy28 to nascar

to nascar
I would have no problem choosing the VMS. It would be a big help having 6 tuners with all the shows we record.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to DGGSLF

to DGGSLF
If it doesn't cost me much more money, I would do it. Especially since I would then have DVR capabilities. However, we watch mainly on TV's, so I would need 5 new boxes.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to DGGSLF

Premium Member

to DGGSLF
Very excited for this.
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver to DGGSLF

Premium Member

to DGGSLF
I currently have a Silicon Dust 6CC HDHomeRun Prime. It is used on one laptop and two XBOXs from a Media Center Desktop. I also have three Verizon DVRs. It would be great if the VMS replaces all of this. I would get three remote units for the TVs. I would want the Laptop and two XBOXs to be able to connect to the VMS and get all channels and recordings. My expectation is that something will not work as I would like. We will see.
nfotiu
join:2009-01-25

nfotiu to DGGSLF

to DGGSLF
Will these be rvu compatible and allow us to ditch the extra boxes eventually?
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94 to OwlSaver

to OwlSaver
said by OwlSaver:

I would want the Laptop and two XBOXs to be able to connect to the VMS and get all channels and recordings. My expectation is that something will not work as I would like. We will see.

Assuming that the VMS is RVU based, the XBOX and laptop would only work if RVU client applications were built for them, and building an application requires a company to become an RVU member at a cost of $8000 a year, not to mention implementing DTCP-IP (DRM) on the client.
This is unlikely to happen.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to DGGSLF

to DGGSLF
I read recently that Verizon has been asking the FCC to establish some kind of universal streaming/connection format for mobile devices. In that I assume they are concerned they will need to program for multiple device formats. Android, Windows, Mac, etc.
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver to tennisman94

Premium Member

to tennisman94
said by tennisman94:

said by OwlSaver:

I would want the Laptop and two XBOXs to be able to connect to the VMS and get all channels and recordings. My expectation is that something will not work as I would like. We will see.

Assuming that the VMS is RVU based, the XBOX and laptop would only work if RVU client applications were built for them, and building an application requires a company to become an RVU member at a cost of $8000 a year, not to mention implementing DTCP-IP (DRM) on the client.
This is unlikely to happen.

I would think that Microsoft or Verizon would have the capability to build it for the XBOX. Verizon already has a very limited app for the XBOX. Also, it would seem that adding RVU and such to Media Center would be relativly easy for Microsoft. Then again, just because they can do it, does not mean either will.
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

2 edits

DGGSLF

So any new updates on where they are with this? Saw this update today that the FCC granted an 18 month extension.
DGGSLF

DGGSLF

Saw this link yesterday, so I wonder if Verizon will go with RVU or some other standard? Looks like they now have 18 more months to roll it out.

»www.broadcastingcable.co ··· line.php

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to DGGSLF

to DGGSLF
This damn thing should utilize IPTV and free themselves of constraining franchise agreements, and give themselves an unlimited amount of HD channels.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to DGGSLF

to DGGSLF
I just wish we'd hear more news on it.

2012 is coming to an end.

I plan to order soon and would like the opportunity to decide which STB architecture to use, rather than have it installed on Wed, and they announce two days later that it is now available.