how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mojorific

@rogers.com

[Extreme] Call and ask for same pricing as start.ca

Hi guys,

Just wanted to mention that I recently found out about start.ca, a competing DSL and Cable internet service based out of London. Their prices are fantastic, and I recommend you contact them if you are tired of Rogers service. Very friendly folks and seemed like a good service.

For me, I was 'ok' with Rogers, but not the prices they were charging me. I called them up and mentioned the deal they were offering for 59.95 a month, 32MBit download, and 400GB usage.

Rogers counter offered to give me 25Mbit and 300GB usage for slightly (very slightly) less than that.

I also got them to wave my overages for the previous month (where my usage limit was only 100GB a month with 1.25 per GB overage charger).

So, if you are in an area where start.ca is available, either cancel, or tell Rogers that you want similar service and usage amounts. I did, and i'm now only being charged about $63 a month with taxes.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

said by mojorific :

Rogers counter offered to give me 25Mbit and 300GB usage for slightly (very slightly) less than that.

Hate to break it to you.... but that's not a very good deal. They just gave you Express at the regular price with a higher cap. You would have been better off with Start's 28Mbit (should soon be 35) with 300GB usage for less per month.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to mojorific

I agree with bt See Profile. Remember that Rogers is upgrading current plans. You got the Express plan while Start.ca's offering is an Extreme tier equivalent and will probably be upgraded in the next few months.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to mojorific

FYI, the Express with 300GB is only guaranteed up to 12mbps, you'll get more during a speedtest due to speedboost, but your sustained download speeds will range within 12-18mbps.

saphier

join:2012-11-10

said by yyzlhr:

FYI, the Express with 300GB is only guaranteed up to 12mbps, you'll get more during a speedtest due to speedboost, but your sustained download speeds will range within 12-18mbps.

I'm on this package as well currently. The CSR I spoke with last night trying to up my speed actually says that even at the 300gb tier the download speed should be increasing to 25mbps (though of course another tech told me earlier that I was stuck at 12).

My personal experience however seems to make me believe that I'm stuck at the 12mbps speed - nothing I've done has made it gone up, even though Rogers states that i'm provisioned for 18-25mbps.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2

said by saphier:

I'm on this package as well currently. The CSR I spoke with last night trying to up my speed actually says that even at the 300gb tier the download speed should be increasing to 25mbps (though of course another tech told me earlier that I was stuck at 12).

My personal experience however seems to make me believe that I'm stuck at the 12mbps speed - nothing I've done has made it gone up, even though Rogers states that i'm provisioned for 18-25mbps.

Like yyzlhr said, if you are at 12mbps then you will get 12mbps but you will still get speedboost and your speedtest results should be higher than 12mbps but if your speed test results are at exactly 12mbps then there is something else going on.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to saphier

said by saphier:

said by yyzlhr:

They are wrong the Express for 300GB is ONLY 12mbps and there are no plans at least at this time to bump up the speed. This tier was originally created for the student promotion. The original student promo gave customers 160gb at 18mbps, but Bell came out with a promo that gave customers a lot more usage but often with lower speeds due to lower FTTN penetration. In response, Rogers created a 12mbps tier with 300gb of usage.