Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Boricua

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 - best to pass it up: review Read more: ht

I've recently spent several hours with 8 on a new build. After installing classic shell I'm a complete fanboi of 8. It runs my 16 Bit executable correctly where W7 would choke and hang. Metro has a lot of stuff to explore, but classic shell boots right to desktop and for all practical purposes everything is the same as W7. All software and utilities are functional. It is much faster. Shutdown is 1.5 seconds, boot is 5 seconds. ( I5 CPU @ 3.4 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, raid 0 SSD ). I LOVE W8 and will now be skipping 7. IE10 is fantastic.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to howardfine

Optimizing for IE 10 (technically optimizing for Windows 8) is no different than optimizing for mobile (phablet). If other browsers are fully compatible with Windows 8, and they'll need to be to maintain market share, they'll display the optimized pages in a similar way.

The point is that Windows 8 is going to put an end to those cluttered webpages with tiny pictures and a million links on the main page, instead of a few section links that you drill down deeper if you need to, by swiping or clicking.

USA today is another site that's cleaned up its main page Windows 8 style,.

»www.usatoday.com/
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Boricua

So I read it,...

I think he clearly commented on something he had no experience with when referring to Windows 8 on touch devices. When writing I think its best to stick with what you know and his suppositions in this respect call into question his credibility fairly early on IMO. I’ve used Windows 8 on more then one kind of touch enabled computer as well as with non-touch enabled computers and I don’t honestly think he knows what he is talking about in this respect.

I also used Vista quite extensively with no noteworthy issues for my usage model. I can guess why its been vilified by many but I certainly don’t agree with the general consensus.

Anyway, I would also like to make it clear that stating that the interface (Metro or New Windows UI) was designed for touch screens specifically (assuming its 100% true) isn't a pro or a con. People will have conflicting viewpoints based on their hardware or their intended use so it isn’t an absolute truth one way or the other. I say this because I am not staunchly entrenched in the use of touch or the traditional input devices with exclusivity.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

2 edits
reply to digitalfutur

said by digitalfutur:

If other browsers are fully compatible with Windows 8, and they'll need to be to maintain market share, they'll display the optimized pages in a similar way.

No browser optimizes itself to any operating system. The W3C is the only spec a browser follows. In fact, the current movement is to responsive design where the device itself is all but ignored.
quote:
The point is that Windows 8 is going to put an end to those cluttered webpages with tiny pictures and a million links on the main page

Windows never had anything to do with that. Such designs have been out of favor for years. The USAToday site you point to is only a javascript slider which we've been using for a long time and you can even get a canned version of the same thing.

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit

Did an Upgrade Install of WIndows 8 to start with, eventually will do a fresh clean install of Windows 8, but NO Problems, Performance is Excellent, All programs work great

Very Happy with Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
Start Screen does not bother me

Came from Windows 7 64bit
been using it daily since the 26th, Not a single issue with crashing or problems at all, Very Fluid Response, Start screen is not a problem, hot corners easily accessible with a mouse just fine. Built in Windows Defender working great for protection, if I should decide to switch back to Avast when Avast 8.0 comes out and it's stable, then I may do clean install then, but for now happy

Does anyone else with WIndows 8 Media Center have Internet TV or ability to burn Cd/dvd's right from Media Center--mine is missing those options

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

said by computerman2:

Does anyone else with WIndows 8 Media Center have Internet TV or ability to burn Cd/dvd's right from Media Center--mine is missing those options

I know for Windows 7, Internet TV went away back on Sept 20th. I would think the same would be true in Windows 8.

See this thread for more info

»[WIN7] September 20th Internet TV in WMC ceases

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Brian is correct, Internet TV is not longer available with any version of Windows Media Center.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI

Oh ok thank you both

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to computerman2

I forgot when Media Center lost some specific features. However, even when you could burn disc of recorded TV easily it could only be done with mpeg not H.264 / AVCHD based recordings.

Many of my recordings are H.264 / AVCHD and are DRM free.

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI

Not sure at this point and time when I may do a clean install of WIndows 8 in the future, Debating as well if I need HP Recovery Paritiion anymore as well.

Otherwise running great even if was in-place upgrade for now

Expand your moderator at work

georgermct
PERFORMANCE

join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Boricua

I'm sure Windows8 if a fine OS and will run great when installed on a brand new set up (not an upgrade).

BUT...Microsoft needs to make two versions Win8 Classic and Win8 Touch.

That's all they have to do.

Give us the familiar desktop environment on a traditional desktop (using mouse/keyboard etc) set up and the "Surface" interface on touch oriented media.

MS just doesn't think.
--
OOL Subscriber Since - 10/18/00 . . . iO Subscriber Since - 11/22/04 . . . Optimum Voice Subscriber Since 06/30/11

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Boricua

No DirectX 11.1 for Windows 7?

quote:
According to a Hardware Info report that cites a post on Microsoft Answers Forum by Microsoft employee Daniel Moth, the company may restrict DirectX 11.1, of which the newest generation of GPUs from AMD and NVIDIA are compatible with, to Windows 8. Windows 7 users will have to make do with DirectX 11.

reply to georgermct

said by georgermct:

I'm sure Windows8 if a fine OS and will run great when installed on a brand new set up (not an upgrade).

BUT...Microsoft needs to make two versions Win8 Classic and Win8 Touch.

That's all they have to do.

Give us the familiar desktop environment on a traditional desktop (using mouse/keyboard etc) set up and the "Surface" interface on touch oriented media.

MS just doesn't think.

The desktop environment is still there.

Cartel

join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

quote:
According to a Hardware Info report that cites a post on Microsoft Answers Forum by Microsoft employee Daniel Moth, the company may restrict DirectX 11.1, of which the newest generation of GPUs from AMD and NVIDIA are compatible with, to Windows 8. Windows 7 users will have to make do with DirectX 11.

LOL Microsoft loves shooting itself in the foot.
most games are still on DX9

RazzyW8

@rr.com

said by Cartel:

said by Octavean:

quote:

DX9 games still works fine with Windows 8 =) Even EverQuest still running great.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Cartel

said by Cartel:

said by Octavean:

quote:

Exactly, so why waste the effort? No foot has been shot at all, name me that "for Windows" game released between 2010 and 2013 that can't be played on Windows 7 or Windows 8? You must have one, else your foot is fine.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Boricua

As someone who's been evaluating the beta for months on an all-in-one touch based system and using it in final on a touch based system, drop me into the 'it fucking sucks' category.

Even with the freeware classicshell application, which brings back the start button, the OS still has serious UI issues.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by urbanriot:

As someone who's been evaluating the beta for months on an all-in-one touch based system and using it in final on a touch based system, drop me into the 'it fucking sucks' category.

Even with the freeware classicshell application, which brings back the start button, the OS still has serious UI issues.

Care to elaborate on some specifics, especially since you've been using it on touch-type systems?
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to urbanriot

Is it true that, when in the desktop, you have to go to the "Metro" tiling thingy to start up programs?

RazzyW8

@rr.com

Yes it is true. You move the mouse to lower left corner and the start button shows up. Then you click that Start button. Then Start screen (or metro start page) will show up, you click one of the tile - if it's a desktop application - start screen disappear back to desktop with the software loaded.

Or you could "pin" applications to task bar or make shortcuts on desktop. Or make a menu system from the taskbar with your favorite applications.

So you haven't used Windows 8? Why do you feel that you should trash it blindly?

Cartel

Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to markofmayhem

said by markofmayhem:

Exactly, so why waste the effort? No foot has been shot at all, name me that "for Windows" game released between 2010 and 2013 that can't be played on Windows 7 or Windows 8? You must have one, else your foot is fine.

I can name a dozen that you wouldn't want to play (install) because it say for Windows.

I'll start with L.A. Noire

Cartel

Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Boricua

And another thing, touching the screen is like elbows on the table.
you just dont do it.

It's like in the 50's you slap your wife like Elvis did on the big screen.......why slap your screen?

Maybe the lick screen is next.........lick your charms ....lol

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting
reply to howardfine

said by howardfine:

Is it true that, when in the desktop, you have to go to the "Metro" tiling thingy to start up programs?

Without a third party program there is only one time you need see the metro screen and that is when the computer starts up. After that is very similar to a Windows 7 experience sans the start button. There are numerous third party apps that re-create the Start button and eliminate the first stop at Metro or you can brew your own using the Windows toolbar system. This is my own opinion, but I think the whole Metro thing detracts from an otherwise significant upgrade to Windows, but it isn't like you have to marry it. I haven't seen the Metro screen in days and since I am using Classicshell now, I'll probably never look at it again.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to Boricua

I guess I'm kinda torn on 8 so far.

I just installed it on my home PC (new HD to avoid upgrade headaches, and if I hate it, can easily enough switch the drive out)

I really don't like the metro UI, I didn't like it when I ran the beta. It just screams "I need a touchscreen to make sense!" at me.

I don't care for apps in all honesty, this isn't a smartphone, it's a computer! Sure, they're programs, but the naming bit is just annoying to me.

Performance wise so far, the system is snappy enough, (core 2 quad / 3GB) and Windows detected all my hardware easy enough. That's pretty sweet.

No aero glass look anymore?

So after a quick run with it, I'm still torn. On the one hand, I like the way it works, but on the other, hate the way it looks. I really don't like the control options, and that "Start over" thing scares me. I'm just waiting for the viruses to be written to script that sucker.

As a tech, I feel obligated to run this to get a better feel for how it performs, so I can better handle problems when I eventually see them, but as a person that thinks 7 was damn near perfect, I see no reason to upgrade to this.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

If you like the way it works, but dislike the way it looks, well... there have been third-party shells and shell mods (I've tried at least four of them but always end up back at bblean personally) for a long time, and there's no reason to believe Win8 will be no different. So looks are only a temporary issue for any new Windows.

I don't really mind Metro myself. I thought I'd hate it, but so far it just doesn't bother me at all. I never even got around to trying Start8 before it went pay.

I plan to upgrade at least my desktop, possibly over the Thanksgiving holiday so I have plenty of time to fiddle with it.

And I don't even have a touch screen and no plans to get one.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Expand your moderator at work

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to sivran

said by sivran:

If you like the way it works, but dislike the way it looks, well... there have been third-party shells and shell mods...

The whole point of Windows 8 is the new interface so for someone to need to install, learn and run 3rd party software to make Windows 8 look better kind of defeats the whole thing.