spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

skyfox31

join:2012-11-10

Installed equipment but wont turn on?

Hey everyone. I've got a situation that I dont understand. Several months ago windstream installed fiber to our switch and added a dslam. After weeks of waiting and calling 1800 only to find out its not on yet I called the local engineering office. they told me that our switch is ready to go but corporate wont let them turn it on due to budget reasons??? Does anybody know of this happening and what way could we persuade them to activate our service? We do live in a remote area but everyone working out of our remote wants dsl. You cant make money if you dont sell a product or service windstream!

m12345s

join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO
Do you care to tell where you live? I live near Bolivar, MO and have a similar situation, but they tell me they are still working on it, I haven't heard anything about budget. Were you in the stimulus project area? Thanks.

skyfox31

I'm outside of Quitman, Ga. There have been several new installations
around the area only one of witch I know of being a stimulus project. I can't confirm if any of the others are in service. Our equipment was installed back in late June. According to our engineer it's been ready since that time and corporate won't let him turn it on due to financial reasons

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Well, you don't live near me, but they also installed the fiber and equipment here in June, according to my engineer the last time I asked about it, they said they are still in the turn-up process, not sure what you could do in your situation though, surely they will turn yours on though, wouldn't make sense to spend all the money for the fiber and electronics then just let it sit.

skyfox31

reply to m12345s
That's what I said As a matter of fact they just finished laying fiber to another switch a few miles down the road this week. I hope we both get it on soon

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Yeah, they have been laying fiber here like crazy, all over the county, since spring time, hopefully we will get it soon.

wheelbarrow

join:2010-01-06
USA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Google Fiber
·Windstream
reply to skyfox31
Honestly I think the whole "budget" statement you heard from them is bs.

Windstream has seen increasing revenues in pretty much every area for a number of years, with nice profits to boot. They've also been eager to take government handouts for providing rural services and upgrades.

With the way their service quality has been heading, it would be in their best interest to keep the customers they've got - i.e. actually using equipment that the government likely paid for.

skyfox31

I have that feeling too. Any company wouldn't just spend money if they didn't intend on making a profit and on top of it there still laying fiber. What windstream needs is costumer relations and let people know whats really going on. As far as the problems I've been reading about the best way to solve it is to add more dslams and even the load wich is what I think there trying to do. Going to the town north of us there's 3 new dslams within 2 miles of each other

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Hey, have you heard anything else about your situation? I'm curious as too how long the turn up & cut over process usually takes after the fiber is laid and electronics are installed. Anyone have any idea?

skyfox31

I did have have a rep call me today and told me that she talked to the manager and engineer. As of now there expecting a mid January startup. Aparently there's still more to do before it's ready.

thutchings6

join:2006-12-01
Whitney, TX
Reviews:
·Windstream
They laid fiber to my dslam last year..they started offering 12Mb service then. It worked well for a while but now they have over sold the main equipment coming in to our area. This is how they work.Just to show you what you can look forward to this is my 6MB/768Kb service this morning..

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Fortunately there are not many people at all living near me and I'm close to the new DSLAM so hopefully I'll be OK. I hope they eventually get yours working right, that is horrible.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to skyfox31
Heard from my local manager last week, he said that around the first of the year, hopefully he can give some estimated dates. Not sure what the hold up is.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to skyfox31
Got some good news about my situation, the local manager told me that they began turning up the DSLAMs today and that it could be done in 2 weeks possibly. As I drove by the new DSLAMs this morning I could hear the buzzing of the fan in them when I rolled my window down. Did you hear anything more about your situation? Hope you aren't to far away from being turned up as well.

skyfox31

reply to skyfox31
That's real good news. I haven't heard anything new about my area but I haven't really had a chance to ask. They had told me the first of the month that they were to have ours up by the end of the month and I'm guessing that would apply for all of them that we're built out and ready going by what you were told. I did see a few windstream trucks in town I haven't seen before. I'll try to get in touch with them tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know what they tell me

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Well, they said that they were turning up the dslams in my area, not sure if it applies to the ones in other areas though, Missouri and Georgia are pretty far apart, haha.

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
·HughesNet Satell..
Everything in this thread is the same as Orange Springs, FL. New equipment was put in Nov 2012 and no power is even hooked up. I can't even get an answer.

You know I worked IT for decades. I found an honest answer, even sorry we are a year away works better than what they are doing.
--
| Speedstream 4200 Modem - 3m/384 plan | W98-W2KSP4-XPSP2 - All AMD | Buffalo WHR G54S with Tomato 1.18 | 3 downstream switches feeding 6 total clients (no wireless) | Including the Data port on the side of my neck |

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Have you asked the techs in this forum or the wincanhelp email?, they were usually always able to get an answer for me, they have much more resources than the 1-800 number for tech support. hopefully they will have your service fixed soon.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to skyfox31
Heard more about my situation today, the local manager told me that the contractor still has to do the cutover process on the remote in my area, I assume its turned up, not sure how long cutover usually takes though.

skyfox31

Sounds like your getting close to having service. I'm not sure about what's involved in a cutover but if it's what I think it shouldn't take very long. Was your remote a whole new setup or was there already a pots switch there? For me they put the new equipment in next to the old switch then came out and removed the old switch. It's a pretty big box mounted on posts next to a cross box and the new fiber j-box and I would assume everything is tied in or we wouldn't have phone service. I had a 1-31 ready date and now I'm waiting on a new date from manager.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO

2 edits
»Broadband Stimulus
Scroll down towards the bottom, those are pictures I took of the new DSLAMs, that first pic is one about 5 miles away, there was nothing there at all in the past, that second pic is one about a mile away, that's the one that's going to give me service, the older fenced in box in the 2nd pic was already there, but they haven't taken it away, did they just recently remove yours? Or did they do that months ago?

skyfox31

Our equipment looks nothing like that, however there is a similar setup around the corner but we don't work out of it. Originally we had about a 3x3x5 can on the power pole. Then they installed the fiber and another can identical next to it. About a week after they put in the new can the old one disappeared So we haves pots switch and a dslam in one single cabinet. All of this was done within a month after they started last June. I'm guessing they moved us to VoIP or pots over fiber back to co because voice seems clearer and louder to me.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Interesting, they must not be using the same kind of remotes everywhere for their stimulus projects. Hopefully you get some good news from your manager soon.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to skyfox31
Got a call from the local manager this morning, he said that they finished cutting me over yesterday and that my line qualifies for 12 Megs! I have a question though, any of you guys know if the modem they install needs to be at the phone jack right at the NID or can it be in the center of the house. I would rather it be in the center because the router's wireless signal has trouble getting from one end of my house to the other, I have a phone jack in the center of my house that would work much better, I already have a router, so all I need is a modem.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to skyfox31
Well it was activated today and so far so good, right now I am connecting between 10 and 15Mbps, but my ping isn't the greatest, my ping is about 60-80, I would think I would get a better ping with these stats:
Mode: ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type: ATM
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On On
SNR Margin (1 dB): 24.2 18.1
Attenuation (1 dB): 23.5 11.5
Output Power (1 dBm): 13.0 9.9
Attainable Rate Rate (Kbps): 26172 1267

Path 0
Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 14975 761

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 59 41
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 233 11
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 2
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 2 3
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 0 2
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.4989 0.9811
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 3752 212
D (interleaver depth): 1 1
Delay (msec): 0.12 0.24
INP (DMT symbol): 0.0 0.3

Super Frames: 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 0 0
RS Words: 0 2248398
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0
RS RS Uncorrectable Errors s: 0 0

HEC Errors: 0 0
OCD Errors: 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0
Total Cells s: 94030028 4772566
Data Cells s: 4441885 491028
Bit Errors s: 0 0

Total ES ES: 0 0
Total SES SES: 0 0
Total UAS UAS: 18 18

How does that look?

skyfox31

That actually looks pretty good, the dslam must be in your front yard lol. Im glad to see that you finally got your dsl on and working. Our local manager got a phone call from me Friday about a time for ours and as I expected no one has calls back yet. It's hard to believe that no one in the company knows anything about what's going on just a big Mickey mouse operation if you ask me. If anyone from windstream that might know something sees this would you please get back to me.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Surely they are getting close on getting yours done, the DSLAM is about a mile away from me, but hardly anyone on it, in fact I'm likely the only one subscribed to broadband on it right now.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to skyfox31
I have a question, I have been testing my speed on different servers and sites, I am paying for 12 megs and the tests with the servers vary widely, on one server I may get 12.5 down, on another I will get only 9 or 10, seems like almost all servers are different, test my.net which doesn't use flash consistently gives me about 15 megs down, while one server on speakeasy gave me only 5 down. Do you think my connection is erratic or do servers vary that much? I tested servers very close together and got big differences, even ping varies, on some I see around a 40 ping, on others I see around 80.

skyfox31

I think it depends on the server and the location. I always use speedtest.net and almost always get close to the same thing from local servers, the number of streams the connection uses can increase or decrease the total throughput. There's a lot of variables involved in terms of measuring speed and also the serving end's connection plays a role too.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Yeah, I'm not that worried about it, I was watching a YouTube video and pulled up task manager and looked at the speed, I was pulling 12.5 to 13.5, I think I'm getting what I'm paying for, only thing I worry about is that I put the modem/router in a cabinet in my entertainment center so I wouldn't have it exposed on top of it, there is a opening in the back of the cabinet and the cabinet is large so it has lots of space, just worried it might get hot in there, it feels warm but not hot, anyone with the sagemcom, think this is OK or not? Thanks.