Search similar:

uniqs
m12345s
join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO

2 edits

m12345s to skyfox31

to skyfox31

Re: Installed equipment but wont turn on?

»Broadband Stimulus
Scroll down towards the bottom, those are pictures I took of the new DSLAMs, that first pic is one about 5 miles away, there was nothing there at all in the past, that second pic is one about a mile away, that's the one that's going to give me service, the older fenced in box in the 2nd pic was already there, but they haven't taken it away, did they just recently remove yours? Or did they do that months ago?
skyfox31
join:2012-11-10
Dixie, GA

skyfox31

Our equipment looks nothing like that, however there is a similar setup around the corner but we don't work out of it. Originally we had about a 3x3x5 can on the power pole. Then they installed the fiber and another can identical next to it. About a week after they put in the new can the old one disappeared So we haves pots switch and a dslam in one single cabinet. All of this was done within a month after they started last June. I'm guessing they moved us to VoIP or pots over fiber back to co because voice seems clearer and louder to me.
m12345s
Bolivar, MO

m12345s

Interesting, they must not be using the same kind of remotes everywhere for their stimulus projects. Hopefully you get some good news from your manager soon.
m12345s

m12345s to skyfox31

to skyfox31
Got a call from the local manager this morning, he said that they finished cutting me over yesterday and that my line qualifies for 12 Megs! I have a question though, any of you guys know if the modem they install needs to be at the phone jack right at the NID or can it be in the center of the house. I would rather it be in the center because the router's wireless signal has trouble getting from one end of my house to the other, I have a phone jack in the center of my house that would work much better, I already have a router, so all I need is a modem.
m12345s

m12345s to skyfox31

to skyfox31
Well it was activated today and so far so good, right now I am connecting between 10 and 15Mbps, but my ping isn't the greatest, my ping is about 60-80, I would think I would get a better ping with these stats:
Mode: ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type: ATM
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On On
SNR Margin (1 dB): 24.2 18.1
Attenuation (1 dB): 23.5 11.5
Output Power (1 dBm): 13.0 9.9
Attainable Rate Rate (Kbps): 26172 1267

Path 0
Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 14975 761

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 59 41
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 233 11
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 2
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 2 3
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 0 2
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.4989 0.9811
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 3752 212
D (interleaver depth): 1 1
Delay (msec): 0.12 0.24
INP (DMT symbol): 0.0 0.3

Super Frames: 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 0 0
RS Words: 0 2248398
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0
RS RS Uncorrectable Errors s: 0 0

HEC Errors: 0 0
OCD Errors: 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0
Total Cells s: 94030028 4772566
Data Cells s: 4441885 491028
Bit Errors s: 0 0

Total ES ES: 0 0
Total SES SES: 0 0
Total UAS UAS: 18 18

How does that look?
skyfox31
Dixie, GA

skyfox31

That actually looks pretty good, the dslam must be in your front yard lol. Im glad to see that you finally got your dsl on and working. Our local manager got a phone call from me Friday about a time for ours and as I expected no one has calls back yet. It's hard to believe that no one in the company knows anything about what's going on just a big Mickey mouse operation if you ask me. If anyone from windstream that might know something sees this would you please get back to me.
m12345s
Bolivar, MO

m12345s

Surely they are getting close on getting yours done, the DSLAM is about a mile away from me, but hardly anyone on it, in fact I'm likely the only one subscribed to broadband on it right now.
m12345s

m12345s to skyfox31

to skyfox31
I have a question, I have been testing my speed on different servers and sites, I am paying for 12 megs and the tests with the servers vary widely, on one server I may get 12.5 down, on another I will get only 9 or 10, seems like almost all servers are different, test my.net which doesn't use flash consistently gives me about 15 megs down, while one server on speakeasy gave me only 5 down. Do you think my connection is erratic or do servers vary that much? I tested servers very close together and got big differences, even ping varies, on some I see around a 40 ping, on others I see around 80.
skyfox31
Dixie, GA

skyfox31

I think it depends on the server and the location. I always use speedtest.net and almost always get close to the same thing from local servers, the number of streams the connection uses can increase or decrease the total throughput. There's a lot of variables involved in terms of measuring speed and also the serving end's connection plays a role too.
m12345s
Bolivar, MO

m12345s

Yeah, I'm not that worried about it, I was watching a YouTube video and pulled up task manager and looked at the speed, I was pulling 12.5 to 13.5, I think I'm getting what I'm paying for, only thing I worry about is that I put the modem/router in a cabinet in my entertainment center so I wouldn't have it exposed on top of it, there is a opening in the back of the cabinet and the cabinet is large so it has lots of space, just worried it might get hot in there, it feels warm but not hot, anyone with the sagemcom, think this is OK or not? Thanks.
skyfox31
Dixie, GA

skyfox31

Well I heard my local manager earlier. He said its not even on the list to get service this year. The plantation down from me has a Ethernet connection out of the new switch and apparently that's why they put fiber in and did all that work. I can't figure out why the engineer told me we were getting it though. Maybe corporate needs a few more phone calls and a bunch of phone disconnects. Oh well at least you got it.
m12345s
Bolivar, MO

m12345s

Wow, thats rediculus, over the years when I asked about broadband I would hear all kinds of things from different people, I just got to where I didn't trust anything they said. Seems that the local manager is the only one that actually knew anything about it. What doesn't make sense is that they put in a new remote close to you and you even said phone calls are clearer. Why would they do all that just for better voice quality?
skyfox31
Dixie, GA

skyfox31

I don't really know what to believe anymore. Apparently they they are running the voice and data back to the co over fiber that's the only thing I can think of. The plantation does have data to it now there just isn't a $500 dslam in the chassis at the remote so everyone else is sol. Looks like that petition from 5 years ago needs to be re-submitted.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell

said by skyfox31:

The plantation does have data to it now there just isn't a $500 dslam in the chassis at the remote so everyone else is sol.

Where'd you get the idea that a DSLAM costs $500? Carrier grade SLAMs are more like $30,000-$60,0000+.
skyfox31
Dixie, GA

skyfox31 to m12345s

to m12345s
Update: Well this morning I got a call form the manager again. He said that they looked at it again and the planner said they do have the project going at our remote to deploy dsl. Its almost complete but could net tell me a date but as soon as he found out he would call me back. So I guess we are getting a dslam installed or is installed in our switch and has not been turned up yet. Im glad he called because I was just about to turn off my home phone. Ill keep you updated. And I really don't think a 24 port or smaller dslam cost 30K, maybe more ports yea but to serve 20 subscribers at most that would not make sense
m12345s
Bolivar, MO

m12345s

Wow, you would think the manager would know of what's going on a little better then that. Well, at least you got some good news, hopefully they would install a larger dslam in case there becomes a subdivision or something in the future.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to skyfox31

to skyfox31
said by skyfox31:

And I really don't think a 24 port or smaller dslam cost 30K, maybe more ports yea but to serve 20 subscribers at most that would not make sense

Yeah not quite that much for a small deployment, but the chassis in itself would still be at least a couple grand, then another $1-5K for each card (line, mux), then the cabinet, concrete pad, connectors, physical media, etc... you're still looking at $10K+. And that's not including the equipment on the other end.

marbles90
I love torque
join:2010-01-15
Senecaville, OH

marbles90 to skyfox31

to skyfox31
If they would have done it right the first time three years ago, look at all the money they could have saved themselves. This company is pathetic. Time to remove everyone on the board and get some people who have some common sense. Jeff and his traveling circus have put themselves into the smelting pot. Now they are lobbying to have the government to save their sorry butts. Well guess what... you gonna burn regardless. You created this out-of-control-mess now the government is going to have their hands in it. But that's fine with me because they will rip your a** of that throne your perched so high and mighty on. I'll be sitting right here watching and eating some popcorn. Have fun!

This rant ends with more beer drinking.