Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mhodgson

join:2006-07-21
Belleville, ON

[TV] Random red / white pixels on HD channels? Belleville, ON

Hi all,

We've been noticing recently, on HD channels only, random red and white pixels appearing all over the screen. It happens on every HD channel that we get. We've ruled out the TV as we have tried two different TVs, HDMI and Component input on both. We have also ruled out the cable receiver, as we have seen the same issue at someone else's house on their TV. Has anyone else seen this?

PIZZAMAN76

join:2009-06-08
Windsor, ON

Re: [TV] Random red / white pixels on HD channels? Belleville, O

I noticed the same (well the red pixels anyway), during the World Series on the FoxHD Detroit feed only. Over the Seattle west feed it was fine as well as over antenna (OTA).

mhodgson

Belleville, ON

We watch the Detroit channels as well, but it's definitely more than just Fox. I've noticed it on all the channels we watch, but I can specifically remember Fox, NBC and TLC because they were really noticeable.

mousky

join:2004-02-12
Windsor, ON
reply to mhodgson

Probably compression errors. I've noticed some bad compression pixelation on the west coast feeds. Nothing like paying $60 plus for digital TV and having to put up with poor picture quality.

mhodgson

Belleville, ON

I think that's exactly what it is. I've only noticed it since maybe the beginning of September. Fox Detroit is the worst, watching the X Factor tonight and there are random pixels ALL over the screen.

sofawall

@cgocable.net

I seem to recall something about red/green pixel blocking being mentioned to me at one point, but I'll be damned if I know what that is. Might be worth calling in just to see if it's a known issue.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to mousky

There's only one cause for that and it's lack of bandwidth. Compression has nothing to do with anything. I guess Cogeco HD television is now in the same league as Rogers HD television.

mousky

join:2004-02-12
Windsor, ON

Compression has a lot to do with it. If there is a lack of bandwidth, cable providers will increase compression to fit more channels in the same bandwidth.

It's no coincidence that the quality of HD channels has fallen as the number of HD channels has increased.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium,VIP
join:2011-07-11
kudos:6
reply to mhodgson

Hi,

We are aware of the issue and are trying to get it resolved as quickly as possible!