pawpaw

join:2004-05-05
Greenville, SC
Reviews:
·Charter

[News Groups] Charter Newsgroups

Email this morning from Charter:

"Dear Charter Customer,

As a valued Charter customer, it is our goal to keep you informed about the latest products and services available. Starting December 10th, Charter will no longer offer our Newsgroups service as we have found customers are enjoying better ways to interact online."

If this is how they treat their valued customers, I glad I'm not on their S#!t list.

google2

join:2004-02-04
South Beloit, IL

Their newsgroup offering was pretty poor anyway.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
reply to pawpaw

Whoa... I haven't gotten my notice yet. Another cost saving move, but this one probably won't agitate as many customers as all the pricing changes.

I was only using it for backup, because of sign on problems in the past year, but it did offer a little security if my other news server had problems.

ltt75

join:2001-01-22
Hollis, NH
reply to pawpaw

haven't gotten anything about it... but I wouldn't be surprised.
I've actually used charter usenet services, never in a hurry to get my downloads.... but now going to go with outside providers... dutch has really cheap and pretty reliable

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to pawpaw

I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

Anyone with a real interest in newsgroups uses a dedicated account anyway.
--
Google is your Friend

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to pawpaw

FTP'ing to websites will be next then. I can see that coming.
Haven't used Charter's crap newsgroups in eons anyway.

What else can Charter come up with to take away?
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to pawpaw

Wow this sucks, less services at higher prices.

Free Usenet is one of the thing's I've missed since moving outside of the service area. I found it useful for getting MP3's and FLAC's.

Charter went down at least twice a month for me, my fixed wireless ISP now has not gone down once in 3 months.

Now I'm not so sure I would consider going back to Charter if they were to come to my neighborhood at only $22 less a month.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Yep,
With Charters current trend, that is what it's all about. Let's see how much blood we can squeeze from a rock, type attitude!!

Just like some of the people here defending Charter dropping the lower tiers and then saying you're actually saving by spending more, even if it is ONLY $2.00, for the higher tier. Totally ignorant thinking!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Premium
join:2012-06-11

said by cork1958:

Yep,
With Charters current trend, that is what it's all about. Let's see how much blood we can squeeze from a rock, type attitude!!

Just like some of the people here defending Charter dropping the lower tiers and then saying you're actually saving by spending more, even if it is ONLY $2.00, for the higher tier. Totally ignorant thinking!!

But cork1958......you mean you won't drink the stupid-aid err I mean kool-aid that Charter CEO Tom Rutledge is serving up? LOL

iwinrar

join:2010-03-18
reply to pawpaw

Their newsgroup offering was extremely limited that it was not even worth using. It is not like they are preventing you from using a usenet from another source just removing their own. I am also surprised it took this long, I am pretty sure every other isp got rid of theirs YEARS ago.

Rampage522

join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL
kudos:1
reply to pawpaw

Maintaining a newsgroup service is pretty pricey when one considers the return on investment (these days, almost none). Such a small percentage of customers want it, it's better to use that money for things everyone can use and let other hosts, who have resources dedicated to the service, provide it.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by Rampage522:

Maintaining a newsgroup service is pretty pricey when one considers the return on investment (these days, almost none). Such a small percentage of customers want it, it's better to use that money for things everyone can use and let other hosts, who have resources dedicated to the service, provide it.

Not really, the task is delegated to a 3rd party. In Charter's case »support.highwinds-media.com/faq.php

Highwinds Media offers the best in outsourcing for Internet Service Providers looking for a full service solution for their Usenet needs. Highwinds Media also offers full and partial news feeds.

--

Rampage522

join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL
kudos:1

Nevertheless, even if they relegate and act as a middleman for the service, it's money they're paying out for something few people use. Better to drop the service, save the money, and let those who want the service go find it. Just my opinion.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

I agree with Rampage even though I've always used it, and it was a plus for me when I signed on with Charter. Since it appears not a lot of other customers did, the money could be better spent... maybe on updated DVRs.

pawpaw

Greenville, SC
reply to pawpaw

I am the OP. It's the 14th and my newsgroups are still working...

Did anyone else get the email from Charter?

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by pawpaw:

I am the OP. It's the 14th and my newsgroups are still working...

Did anyone else get the email from Charter?

Today is NOVEMBER 14th.

The email you posted says DECEMBER 10th.
--

pawpaw

Greenville, SC

Oops, PEBKAC!

onfire

join:2003-03-28
reply to pawpaw

Well this explains why Thunderbird keeps asking me for my name and password. Oh well, I few years back on Black Friday, I got Thundernews for $5/month. You can learn about some bargains here:

»www.ngrblog.com/

GeorgeK

@charter.com
reply to pawpaw

I use Charter NNTP on Saturday. This morning I get a Communication Error when trying to update group list and Error 480 Authentication Required when trying to incrementally update a group. Does this mean the end in Connecticut.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

Could be. I never got a notice the service was being canceled like the OP, but just haven't been able to sign on for a couple of weeks.

The Direct Forum could likely tell you for sure.

figure4

join:2012-11-17
Boiling Springs, SC

Just got off the phone with Charter, service ended here (upstate SC) on 11/15. Charter no longer provides newsgroups. I kept getting the 480 authentication error. Sad to see it go. Any recommendations? As I dont have other source.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

An excellent free *text only* news service is: »www.eternal-september.org/

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

1 edit
reply to figure4

»www.teranews.com

--

CoolPirate

@charter.com
reply to pawpaw

Yeah, we lost our newsgroups a few days ago, too, here in northwest lower Michigan. Guess i'll have to pay for them again.

GeorgeK

@charter.com
reply to pawpaw

OK! Tried again today and no joy. Its gone!

Yesterday did research on paid newsnet sites and tried Newsdemon. Seven day free trial at $9.99/month for a hole-lota gigabytes. I normally track 11 groups each week on Saturdays and perhaps download 1.5 megabytes, (2 to 3 files) a week. and demon offers blocks of 2 to 200 gb which must be used in a year and can be renewed.

After trying News Rover, their reader, and then NewsBin which I have used before, neither of which worked well, I loaded the server info into my standby, GrabIt. I down loaded my 11 groups and began updating the groups and about half-way through 30 days of headers it froze and gave me a 502 (Over Cap) error code.

For the amount I down load, free (Charter) or (block) is great. Guess I gota keep searchin searchin.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

We have a great forum here on DSL Reports that deals partly with usenet. »Filesharing Software
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts