SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

1 edit

[CATV] Digital Cable Box Specs

I know that to enter diagnostic mode with the Cisco/SA digital cable boxes to hold down Select and Exit. But once in those screens, what are the key metrics to look at and what should they be?

Once in a while I get a frozen picture, so I then have to press channel up or down, and then return to the previously frozen channel, which will then be working (happens on Sprout, where we spend most of our TV watching time ). But otherwise, TV is good 98% of the time.

In the diagnostic screens, QAM SNR on the two channels of the DVR hover in the 34-36 range, with no errors that I can see, even during/after a "freeze" event.

What I found interesting today is that I was moving furniture around, and I disconnected the cable line from the back of the SA Digital DVR box before unplugging power, and the Sprout show continued to play for 5-7 seconds after I unplugged it... and then it froze the picture on the screen just as it would do during a weird freezing event. Interesting..

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by SwedishRider:

I know that to enter diagnostic mode with the Cisco/SA digital cable boxes to hold down Select and Exit. But once in those screens, what are the key metrics to look at and what should they be?

Once in a while I get a frozen picture, so I then have to press channel up or down, and then return to the previously frozen channel, which will then be working (happens on Sprout, where we spend most of our TV watching time ). But otherwise, TV is good 98% of the time.

In the diagnostic screens, QAM SNR on the two channels of the DVR hover in the 34-36 range, with no errors that I can see, even during/after a "freeze" event.

What I found interesting today is that I was moving furniture around, and I disconnected the cable line from the back of the SA Digital DVR box before unplugging power, and the Sprout show continued to play for 5-7 seconds after I unplugged it... and then it froze the picture on the screen just as it would do during a weird freezing event. Interesting..

the DVR is on a buffer it is not 100% live as it records the live stream to the DVR and then sends it out the imput on the other hand SD and HD only boxes will give out the live stream due to no hard drive.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
said by motorola870:

the DVR is on a buffer it is not 100% live as it records the live stream to the DVR and then sends it out the imput on the other hand SD and HD only boxes will give out the live stream due to no hard drive.

Makes sense. Just was eerily similar to a box freeze-up.

I'd still like to know what specs my cable boxes should have if anybody knows.