how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thewisperer
Premium
join:2008-01-16

nano's or nanobridges?

I deploy in a urban area: a few ten storey highrises.

I now have green light to go bigger: two buildings are only 1 mile apart.

Up to now (near 100 subs) I have used Loco's or Nano's.

I now look at Nanobridge's for their narrower beamwith.

If I plan to have roughly 250 subs per building, all pretty close to each other, should the choice of units be a concern? ( I have plenty of other concerns..)

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

We stopped using nanostations. The nano bridges outperformed, and have a narrower beam, price was better too I think.

The only time we do use the nanostations now, is for small customer owned repeaters, the 2nd port with PoE comes in handy for that.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to thewisperer

We use nanostations for under 5 KM link's, Nanobridges for the longer ones. We only have used 3 loco's well they work fine I prefer the full nanostation for the bit higher cost.

When we need the big guns on long link's we use grid/bullet combo's. (Normally on 13 to 20KM link's). But if your Urban that would be no good for you since your going to pick everything else in its path up really strong with that kind of gain.

Personally I really wish ubiquiti didn't put that second ethernet port on the nanostation M and had put the RP-SMA connector like the old nanostation's. So I could have a one size fits all CPE like the good old days before the M series and would not need to buy so many different products.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to thewisperer

Normally we use NS for -5KM links. NB for 5-12ishKM and anything longer than 12KM is usually a PB.

Keeps signals pleasantly warm and levels stable.

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
kudos:1
reply to thewisperer

I dont believe in using nanostations at all because of the very wide beamwidth, it can cause self interference and waste spectrum.

I will however use them for private links like the responder above where they are aimed down below the horizon or within a property and the signal is restricted to the local area (by trees, hills etc)

I try to use nanobridges everywhere for CPE radios now.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to thewisperer

I think the Nanostations work good as AP Sectors. YMMV.

Except for the old ones laying around we reuse with use either Airgrids or Nanobridges depending on the AP. I have quite a few old bullet-run and Picostations around.

thewisperer
Premium
join:2008-01-16
reply to raytaylor

said by raytaylor:

I dont believe in using nanostations at all because of the very wide beamwidth, it can cause self interference and waste spectrum.

I will however use them for private links like the responder above where they are aimed down below the horizon or within a property and the signal is restricted to the local area (by trees, hills etc)

that confirms my thought of wanting to go to Nanobridges to prevent self interference in an area of high concentration of subs.

I'm starting to go nanobridge's all the way even if its easier to mount a Nanostation..

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to thewisperer

Not sure when it would be easier to mount a nanostation? We pay the local directv guy a buck a piece for sat arms and lags...

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to thewisperer

said by thewisperer:

said by raytaylor:

that confirms my thought of wanting to go to Nanobridges to prevent self interference in an area of high concentration of subs.

I'm starting to go nanobridge's all the way even if its easier to mount a Nanostation..

There is still tons of sidelobe off the nanobridges.

IMO nanostations ensure your coverage area remains your coverage area.