CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

I hateses attics....

Cleaning it out to get rid of stuff and clean up all of the debris from the new roof. What a mess. Going to get rid of the dryer vent that goes from the front of the house utility room, to the garage, up to the attic then up and to the middle of the roof and exits at one of the turbine fans. Run has to be 8-10 feet, with 2 90 degree bends, and goes from conditioned space to completely unconditioned space. Horrible, horrible dryer run.

The air handler in the attic has a broken bag of cellulose on top of it and the cellulose looks to be on top of fiberglass to boot. Going to close off the back bathroom air vent at the air handler, as we don't use it anyhow and that vent is barely on the air handler anyhow (the vent tubing is not screwed into the air handler - naturally). Most of the air for that run is going into the attic.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

The only thing I hate more than a crappy attic is a crawl space.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme

Premium Member

said by nunya:

You'd really hate mine when ever I need something done down there
I have to find someone who knows what they're doing and is skinny to boot.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

When he was posting about his house being re-shingled, I was going to post the exact same thing. You even came to mind because I remember you sharing the same sentiments about crawl spaces.

Sure, an attic has the heat/cramped areas. But, in a crawl space you are slithering around on your stomach in the ass end of a house, dealing with all the creepy crawly, leaks, moisture, etc.

No basement=No deal for me. Slab=dealing with attics.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to nunya

MVM

to nunya
said by nunya:

I gots one of those as well. Idiot previous owner added PVC for a drain for the kitchen sink. He did not replace all of it - only a small part. The hanger to hold it up was on a galvanized part of the drain. Less than a quarter inch from the PVC.

Galvanized rusted thru and for god knows how long - most everything that went down the kitchen drain - went into the crawl space.

I believe the same idiot previous owner took the condensate line for the furnace into the crawl space - to the bottom of the floor joists. First winter there the furnace quit. Water in the furnace - the condensate line could not empty (the tube went UP to get tot he outside then below the concrete patio). I cut the line and forgot to repair it. Open condensate line for 3 years, along with the drain line..... Oh so much fun when I had to take out the plastic that had things growing on it.....

Wife said the house smelled terrible as I was cutting it up - yea - tell me about it. I could barely breathe....

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
I grew up with basements.

Almost no basements in Texas.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

robbin to CylonRed

Mod

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

I believe the same idiot previous owner took the condensate line for the furnace into the crawl space... I cut the line and forgot to repair it. Open condensate line for 3 years

Is this like the pot calling the kettle black?

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
My son-in laws father did his craw space different. They dug it all out and poured cement on the floor. This is in Michigan where the foundation must be down 42 inches.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Theres NO basement here either just a miserable crawl way. To make matters worse theres is no access door / panel. If you need to get down there you have to dig an access hole or go through the floor above and close it up later.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 edit

CylonRed to robbin

MVM

to robbin
said by robbin:

said by CylonRed:

I believe the same idiot previous owner took the condensate line for the furnace into the crawl space... I cut the line and forgot to repair it. Open condensate line for 3 years

Is this like the pot calling the kettle black?

Yes - but then I would not have done what the previous owner did - knowing it was mind boggling stupid. So I would have prevented it from the get go...

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to mityfowl

to mityfowl
Same here. Pgh til 71 then Houston, Austin, Dallas.

I wanna Basement.

Dave
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

With snakes. Had a senior tech once boot a crawl space to me as a new tech that customer said had rattlesnakes in it.
Senior tech we do not do that type of limited access crawl space. Then senior tech and manager decided we do after customer called in and well I had to do it. Senior tech got a cushy job that day.

Customer was nice enough though. We got plenty of lighting down there and customer went under with me as look out. We did hear snakes in the far corner so I did what was needed and got out ASAP.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

When I was young, me and another guy were pulling some cable through a nasty crawl space addition in Ladue (they live in Ladue but can't afford a basement under the addition?). Unbeknownst to us, there were raccoons living in there.

Have you ever heard the adage, "I don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than you". My pal shot out of there so fast I think he broke the sound barrier. Problem? He was in charge of the light.

I ALWAYS do a varmint check before getting into a confined space any more. That, and lots of lighting. These days I carry a backup flashlight like a cop carries a backup revolver.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

I did a water heater service call on a new house in the Ozarks. The house was huge. It had four 200 amp full 40 panels to give you an idea. The owner was a real ass. He was making up any excuse he could to all the trades to get out of paying them. While the boss was working I saw something move in the corner in my eye in the dark. It was a skunk. I just about ran over the boss heading for the door. Found out later instead of trapping it, they shot it. They were setting off stink bombs for months trying to get the smell out. It couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

I don't know which iS worse, a busted septic tank dig or a skunk squirt. Have smelled both in my life.