pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to rustydusty

Premium Member

to rustydusty

Re: Windows server 2008 and exchange 2010

Why would you even get ADSL service if you 're a business and wanting to run servers is beyond me. Last quote I got from Shaw, a 100Mbit commit (unmetered) was around $2000/mo.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by pfak:

Why would you even get ADSL service if you 're a business and wanting to run servers is beyond me.

A lot of areas can't get anything better than ADSL. Remember, not everyone is in major urban centers!

Then again in such a situation, I'd just rent dedicated servers in a datacenter to host all the internet-facing applications/functions. Faster and cheaper.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to pfak

to pfak
said by pfak:

Why would you even get ADSL service if you 're a business and wanting to run servers is beyond me. Last quote I got from Shaw, a 100Mbit commit (unmetered) was around $2000/mo.

Cause there's no coax or fiber in your area? Which is why I had to sign for bonded T1's at my workplace. However, we are working on a new building, and Telus just provided me some prices on 30Mb and 50Mb fiber. I'll scan the document and post, as the prices are actually quite descent for Canada. For Europe, it's still a joke, but we won't go there. $2300 for 50Mb, 94Mb bi-directional and they will cover the install and construction costs. Not metered, 5 static's, juniper, etc.
rustydusty

rustydusty to TheMG

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

said by pfak:

Why would you even get ADSL service if you 're a business and wanting to run servers is beyond me.

A lot of areas can't get anything better than ADSL. Remember, not everyone is in major urban centers!

Then again in such a situation, I'd just rent dedicated servers in a datacenter to host all the internet-facing applications/functions. Faster and cheaper.

Personally, I would just colocate as it's cheaper, however some biz owners like their data to be in a room in the building. Gives them all warm and fuzzy feeling knowing it's not in some DC and on the other side of their wall.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by rustydusty:

Personally, I would just colocate as it's cheaper

Yeah, it is the cheaper alternative, assuming you're within reasonable driving distance to a DC, as with colocation you have to supply and maintain the hardware.

For me, colocation is not a viable option as it's a 5 hour drive to the nearest DC.

Yes, I am aware that some DCs offer to install the hardware for you, and perform any hardware changes/repairs on request, but of course that costs extra, and there can be considerable delays in shipping replacement hardware if things go south.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

When I say cheaper, I meant the connection and power price. You can get a way better port and connection plan, backbone providers, etc, than you can anywhere here. There's no descent DC's here, though. You can't get a 100Mb unmetered for anywhere near the price you can at many colocation providers. Telus offered us 50Mb fiber, 94Mb bi-directional, unmetered, 5 statics for $2300/month on 5 year term. Not bad considering we currently pay ~1500 for 6 bonded T1's.