All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

spongecake
@shawcable.net

spongecake

Anon

[ALL] Shaw Cannot Put my Modem into Bridge mode?

Hey there, just got off the phone with shaw and apparently they cannot put my DPC3825 into bridge mode because I only have a 20mbps connection. I was told if I upgraded to 50mbps then they could do it. I already disabled the firewall and wireless and all the features I could in the router interface. I really just want it to function like a modem. I'm considering just swapping it out for a DOC2 modem like the blue Motorola (which I previously owned in a different location) I really do like this modem tho, but is there any truth to this...? That a 20mbps connection cannot be put into bridged mode but a 50mbps connection and above, can?

TAKN
join:2003-09-21
Calgary, AB

TAKN

Take a look at the following thread. Similar issue - there may or may not be a reason provided there.

»[AB] Tried to get shaw to bridge the DPC3825 modem/router

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to spongecake

Premium Member

to spongecake
The billing code for bridge mode, doesn't work for 25mbps internet and below.

Likely because you *shouldn't* have a modem/router for 25 and below plans.

tabletoptim
@shawcable.net

tabletoptim to spongecake

Anon

to spongecake
Yes, that's true. The reason is because you can just get a regular Wired Modem for any Internet plan below 50 Mbps. The bridge mode option is available for Broadband 50 and higher because there is no regular Wired Modem option available.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

This is something they need to fix months ago though...

Shaw is giving new BB10 customers these modems, so the customer doesn't have a choice in some cases.

Just a billing code and a dependancy rule?

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to tabletoptim

to tabletoptim
said by tabletoptim :

Yes, that's true. The reason is because you can just get a regular Wired Modem for any Internet plan below 50 Mbps. The bridge mode option is available for Broadband 50 and higher because there is no regular Wired Modem option available.

So far from true. Shaw has a pile of the old Motorola 5102's that you can get. You just need to speak to the right person to get one

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Do you mean 6120? 51xx modems won't work for BB50.

There are very few 6120 modems left...

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to spongecake

to spongecake
OP stated if he upgraded to BB50 they could do the bridge. I'm going to assume he's on either the old 25Mb profile of the new HS20 profile. Both of which should be running on the old Motorola 5102 instead of the Cisco/SMC all-in-one. Unless of course I read all of this wrong and he's actually on BB50. If he is, then I'm not sure why he's having such difficulty with getting it into bridge.

I've heard you CAN get one of the old D3 modem's but it's not easy and generally you need to know a tech that still has one kicking around. When I first upgraded to BB50 I got the black modem only, and loved it. Worked perfect! Unlike the new Cisco and SMC...:(

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by rustydusty:

said by tabletoptim :

So far from true. Shaw has a pile of the old Motorola 5102's that you can get. You just need to speak to the right person to get one

I think tabletoptim is/was saying the same thing you were. When you said So far from true, everything tabletoptim said, is true. You can get a regular modem for plans below 50, above 50, there are no regular modems available.

I know one person who has a 6120 modem, that is not using it, he is the only person I know that has one as well.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to spongecake

to spongecake
I actually may have my 6120 somewhere in a box. I believe I purchased it, so it should be somewhere. If I find it, first person who wants it can have it!
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to spongecake

to spongecake
I think I found an old modem when we were moving. Of course, where it is now is a big question - also obtained during the time when Shaw gave them away...

Of course, no promises if I'll ever find it...

ndeso
@114.79.19.x

ndeso to spongecake

Anon

to spongecake
my connetion jus 3mbps sory i dont know
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to kevinds

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

I know one person who has a 6120 modem, that is not using it, he is the only person I know that has one as well.

You know two people. I have an SB6120 4x4 DOC3.0 modem. Works OK. Sort of wish I had a DPC3825 tho...

SHAW TECH
@shawcable.net

SHAW TECH to spongecake

Anon

to spongecake
Bridge Mode for DPC3825

1. open txt edit save following code as .htm or download attachment

<form name="administration" method="POST" action="»192.168.0.1/goform/Admin ··· uot;>
<input name="working_mode" type="hidden" value="1">
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

2. Open htm and submit form.

3. Enjoy bridge mode.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to spongecake

to spongecake
Will the modem reflash upon a power reset and the config have to be edited again?
rustydusty

rustydusty to ravenchilde

to ravenchilde
said by ravenchilde:

said by kevinds:

You know two people. I have an SB6120 4x4 DOC3.0 modem. Works OK. Sort of wish I had a DPC3825 tho...

Really? I loved my 6120, just happened to downgrade to the Biz 25 at the time, so my 5102 was worthy of the challenge. Have yet to find my 6120. The boxes it could be are stuffed in what's suppose to be a big screen/entertainment room, which has now turned into a storage room.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

3 edits

kevinds to rustydusty

Premium Member

to rustydusty
That is the 'normal' way to bridge these modems, the working-mode drop down (that Shaw removed) bridged or gateway. I believe working_mode 0 is Gateway mode. Power reset no, reset button yes, firmware update, maybe.

Firmware update could change the field names as well.

I put a copy of this on my webserver, so after logging into your modem with cusadmin going to this page and then Submit, should bridge your modem as well.

»www.syst.ca/bridge.html

To make it easier for others, instead of having to create/open a local file.
kevinds

kevinds

Premium Member

So in testing this more,

You can still use 192.168.100.1 with the cusadmin login and password, all that is there is the Wireless settings, SSID, encryption, and the like.

Most modems set for router mode, only have 1 IP available, so you would likely want to disable the wireless.

It will survive reprovisioning and speed changes, using the reset pin does undo this, and puts it back into router mode.