All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

What is the best flavored coffee avaliable in the market?

I want to know what flavored(french vanilla, hazlenut, pumpkin spice,etc) coffee is the best tasting with no cream or anything added? I like to drink my coffee black with nothing in it, and want to know what is the best tasting coffee I can find in the market. I just recently bought a bag of Smart and Final French Vanilla, and it smelled like French Vanilla, but did not taste anything like it. Tasted like regular coffee. Thanks.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

3 recommendations

davidhoffman

Premium Member

They all are lousy. If you want to experience different "flavors" in coffee, try using different coffees from different regions of the world. I did that and there are significant flavor differences in the taste of different beans, if brewed correctly. You can start out with Starbuck's, and Target's Archer Farms for FAIR Trade coffees from around the world.

Go to the World Wide Web for other sources of FAIR Trade and sustainably grown coffees.

»www.equalexchange.coop/index.php
»www.cafecampesino.com/
»www.greenmountaincoffee.com/
»www.peets.com
»creategood.org/cgf_index ··· hp/store
»www.larrysbeans.com/

There are several others.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
+1 davidhoffman See Profile

I buy coffees from around the world just to try different, but true, flavors.

Coffee flavors differ by area and many popular coffees come from Kenya, Sumatra, Columbia, Hawaii, Jamaica, etc. In other words, coffee from Asia, Africa and Central and South America differ in taste without the addition of flavorings.

The roasting of the beans is also important in the taste. French Roast, Breakfast Blend, Dark, Medium or Mild roast, etc.

Try a few of the aforementioned countries' coffees and see for yourself.

I have purchased a lot from »www.communitycoffee.com/ ··· d-Coffee and recommend them.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood

Thanks both of you for your input. After researching, I found a website: www.coffeeam.com And they have many "dessert" coffees. I am going to buy the "Sticky Buns" coffee. It has great reviews, and they have over 100+ coffee flavors.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
united state

DannyZ to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

They all are lousy. If you want to experience different "flavors" in coffee, try using different coffees from different regions of the world.

THIS.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to billydunwood

to billydunwood
everyone's taste buds are different so not sure if one's fancy is another one's flavor of the day...

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
I have never found a local Coffee shop worse than Starbucks...
The McDonald's of coffee... its hard to do.

My favorite in KW specializes locally roasted Kenyan, Sumatra, Brazilian, Costa Rican, and Celebesse... and sometimes others.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

1 recommendation

chrisretusn to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

I want to know what flavored(french vanilla, hazlenut, pumpkin spice,etc) coffee is the best tasting with no cream or anything added? I like to drink my coffee black with nothing in it, and want to know what is the best tasting coffee I can find in the market.

Emphasis mine. In my opinion, drinking "flavored" coffee is NOT drinking it black with nothing in it.

As for best "flavored" coffee available, again, my opinion, there is no best "flavored" coffee, they all taste terrible.

As for real black coffee... you simply have to find out for your self. I like my coffee strong, no cream, no sugar, no flavoring, just plain old coffee. That's the best.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
If coffee was meant to be flavored, be it with sweetners, cream, milk or whatever, it would be there naturally. Black coffee is meant to be the natural bean and not flavored.

If you want a "regular" coffee go to NYC and order a "coffee regular" and get ready to clean your laptop screen!
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I looked up the meaning. I will make sure to ask for black coffee if I am in the NYC area and that is what I want. I would have been getting way too much sugar and cream ordering a regular coffee. Thanks.
billydunwood
united state

billydunwood to chrisretusn

to chrisretusn
said by chrisretusn:

said by billydunwood:

I want to know what flavored(french vanilla, hazlenut, pumpkin spice,etc) coffee is the best tasting with no cream or anything added? I like to drink my coffee black with nothing in it, and want to know what is the best tasting coffee I can find in the market.

Emphasis mine. In my opinion, drinking "flavored" coffee is NOT drinking it black with nothing in it.

As for best "flavored" coffee available, again, my opinion, there is no best "flavored" coffee, they all taste terrible.

As for real black coffee... you simply have to find out for your self. I like my coffee strong, no cream, no sugar, no flavoring, just plain old coffee. That's the best.

I see what you are saying, you are right. What I meant to say is I don't put anything in my coffee myself(like milk or creamer). Rather, I wanted to find the best flavored coffee where I don't have to add anything myself.
I will be going to Target again and pick out 2 bags of some international coffee. They have a good selection, so I will see how that goes. Again, thanks.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc to DannyZ

Premium Member

to DannyZ
said by DannyZ:

said by davidhoffman:

They all are lousy. If you want to experience different "flavors" in coffee, try using different coffees from different regions of the world.

THIS.

+1
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to billydunwood

to billydunwood
Irish. Extremely irish.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
Another advantage, is that these coffees have fewer calories/junk in them. Then the ones that have all sorts of flavoring syrups poured into them.

I also enjoy Black coffee. No sweenter/sugar either. Though I have to have it iced.

Lately, I've been drinking green iced tea from starbucks, no sweetner/sugar added.
I think it has a slight mint after taste, thought I know there is no mint in it.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
united state

DannyZ

Premium Member

If you like unsweetened cold drinks, Starbucks' Refreshers are really good too. They're made with green coffee extract and fruit. You should try them if you haven't

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I have, I like the lime one.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to billydunwood

MVM

to billydunwood
Being a coffee black person myself the problem I find with the flavored coffees is that they really need sugar and/or cream to taste decent.

And you'll notice that most of them are already ground, not whole bean. I suspect that is because the flavoring is added after.

Like Lone Wolf See Profile I get different kinds of coffee, though mostly the Starbucks brand for convienence. They had a great one last year, Shade Grown Mexican. My standard is Sumatra, but I'll get three or four different kinds each trip, always whole bean.
TODDRICK
join:2001-08-27
Milwaukee, WI

1 recommendation

TODDRICK to billydunwood

to billydunwood
I agree with the others in that pre flavored coffee usually does not use the best quality beans. I also find that it can take awhile to get the flavor out of the brew basket and grinder so as to not interfere with the new flavor. You are buying whole bean coffee and NOT pre ground. Green coffee can be stored for a year or two with little degradation in flavor. Roasted whole bean coffee can be stored for about 10 to 14 days before it starts to degrade. Ground coffee starts to degrade as soon as it comes out of the grinder and is 'past it's prime' in a few hours. The nice odors coming from the can or bag are light organic compounds that should have been flavor in the cup.

That having been said what I do is buy high quality green (unroasted) beans, generally at a price about half or less than the same beans roasted by local specialty coffee roasters. I then roast them myself as needed which gives me control over 1) how fresh they are when brewed 2) what level they are roasted to. The same beans will taste different at different roast levels. 3) lets me try coffees that would otherwise not be available to me. 4) I get to save a few dollars while drinking premium coffee.

If I want flavors I would add them to each cup of brewed coffee.

I roasted for years using a modified hot air corn popper but now use a purpose built roaster, a Behmor 1600.

I also get a lot of enjoyment playing with the machine and beans and it is a helluva lot easier then brewing beer of making wine.

Here are two links to start you off:
Sweet Maria's, a large selection of beans but more important a guide to home roasting using a variety of devices and good pictorials of beans at each level of roasting:
»www.sweetmarias.com/index.php

and the alt.coffee FAQ, more information then one would think possible on coffee:
»www.thecoffeefaq.com/

Just something to consider. Have fun if you try it, I sure do. I can provide more links if desired.

Todd

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
I am not a fan of flavored coffees either, but if that is your thing I would recommend Gevalia. I would also recommend their mail order service, I am not sure if the quality of what they're now marketing in stores is as good. You could try it, though.

»www.gevalia.com/

Tim

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

I'd recommend against Gevalia. In my experience the beans were too dry and never had much flavor. I think you can do much better. I don't remember their flavored coffees standing out in any way and I know that I had a couple of them.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound to TODDRICK

Premium Member

to TODDRICK
I have the Fresh Roast SR-500 and order my beans from »www.burmancoffee.com/ out of Madison.
Check them out. Apparently, they have better pricing.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
Oh how I long for the days when I could go into any diner, coffee shop, restaurant, etc, and say: "One large Coffee-Black", and actually get one, without looking down endless rows of flavored junk, and having the salesperson look at me like I was some kind of nut job.
Heck, there have been times when there were so many different flavors, I couldn't even find what they considered "plain old coffee", and had to ask.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
If you want to taste the flavoured coffee I do believe you need some sort of enhancer. I know of people from regions that harvest coffee, they put a dash of salt in their coffee. Worked for them.

As others have mentioned, taste buds make a difference.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to timcuth

Premium Member

to timcuth
Gevalia is NOT flavored! I HATE flavored. It is excellent coffee...the House blend is very Sumatran like. But, like with any coffee, the most important thing is the pull date. Try to get it with 8-12 month away pull date. Never buy coffee with a pull date that is only 60-90 days away. Never buy out of those fancy bins full of beans in coffee specialty stores either...that stuff is utter junk as it has been exposed to the air. Buy sealed only. Store air tight at room temperature not in the refrigerator or freezer.

The other important thing is your coffee maker. My Bunn just died on me at 4.3 years...sad and bad...my previous Bunn lasted 7.5 years and the one before that almost 11 years. Like everything else in this nation, Bunn has deteriorated badly. So, I bought a Mr. Coffee that slows the drip for strong coffee (Bunn has nothing fancy (except the price) ....never has) and the Gevalia tastes even better now. But I wish I had gotten a coffee maker that makes HOT coffee (there is one model of Cuisinart that makes extremely hot coffee I suppose they are not afraid of being sued)...almost none do since that woman sued McDonald's....there is no such thing as too hot coffee (unless it is boiling)...but she won and all coffee makers started making WARM coffee so that you have to heat it in the microwave right after brewing it for it to be hot. Coffee will be only so good as how hot the water that makes it (as well as the brand of coffee, date of expiration, how it is stored, what nation it was grown in - Sumatra- is the best- except for Blue Mountain that I haven't seen in Hawaii in many years).

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to billydunwood

Mod

to billydunwood
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but it will get you there. You can have the best coffee in the world and if you don't care for it properly or brew it properly, it is going to taste like shoe.

The best barista in the U.S. reveals her secrets
»www.slate.com/articles/l ··· st_viral

HPC
@comcast.net

HPC to Mele20

Anon

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Gevalia is NOT flavored!

well, except for their 14 flavors...
Pumpkin Spice, Hazelnut, French Vanilla, Irish Creme, Dark Chocolate Truffle, German Chocolate Cake, Pecan Torte, Cinnamon, Mocha, Creme Brulee, Vanilla Nut, Raspberry Danish, Amaretto, and Chocolate Raspberry...
»www.gevalia.com/flavor-c ··· ,sc.html

None of which I care for, but does not change the fact Gevalia DOES produce flavored coffees in their "Flavor Collection".
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Thank god our grocery stores here are not stupid enough to order any of those! What a vomitous bunch of crap. (I was going by what I can buy from Gevalia in grocery stores here. I've never seen their website).

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

I'd recommend against Gevalia. In my experience the beans were too dry and never had much flavor. I think you can do much better.

I agree, got a free mini coffee maker from them, perfect for one person cup or two. It does a decent job, but the coffee left more than a bit to be desired...certainly not worth its cost.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I had that when I got some with a pull date only a couple of months away. But then the pull date started being 10 MONTHS from now and and the difference in taste was amazing...that is true for all coffee makers. It will taste crappy from any maker if the date is not WAY IN THE FUTURE.

As for cost, Gevalia is the same price as Starbucks when not on sale. It is is on sale most of the time because it is new here (first became available this summer) and thus it is cheaper than any other brand. The House Blend is a medium dark roast....just right.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

1 recommendation

hitachi369 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
I like my green mountain flavored k-cups, I started drinking coffee recently because water is getting lame and im trying to be less fat. Non-creme coffee for the most part is calorie free so that is my modivation for drinking it.

At work I drink a black blue mountain blend which is tasty as well, that is drip.