IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Equipment] Is the MiFi 4620LE better than the ZTE 890L

I have a ZTE 890 Jetpack but I am starting to regret not getting the MiFi 4620L. Now they have the MiFi 4620LE and I am pondering the idea of Buying the 4620LE at full price since I am in a contract on the 890.

I would like opinions on both devices. Should I make the plunge or should I use the ZTE until I can upgrade. Performance wise, the ZTE is OK but I would like to know if the new MiFi is any better.
pioneer56
join:2008-03-21
Michigan

pioneer56

I don't have the 890, but I do have the 4620L and the only thing that the LE adds is a bigger battery. I don't think there is much difference between the 890 and 4620l performance wise.
I would save my money and wait if I were you.

BoroGuy33
@erieairport.org

BoroGuy33 to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
I believe the ZTE890 does not have an external antenna port and the 4620 does. My brother has the ZTE and he gets marginal 4G whereas if he could connect and external antenna it would improve signal reception. I know because I had a 4610 and the external antenna made all the difference in the world...
szym9341
join:2012-11-10

szym9341 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
What sort of external antenna did you use? A little one with a couple feet of cable, or a house-mount kind?

BoroGuy33
@erieairport.org

BoroGuy33

Anon

I bought it from the 3GStore.. $57 and I mounted it on a wood pole that stuck it up in the air about 10' off my deck which is raised about 6'. I used it for a millenicom 3G modem and it worked great. The antenna (it's a cantenna type) works for 3G and 4G, one of the few that does. I tested it with a verizon 4610 4G hotspot before I went with Home fusion and it worked great with the 4610.
pioneer56
join:2008-03-21
Michigan

pioneer56 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Yes, it does have a antenna port. If you are set on getting one, either go used or Ebay. I wouldn't pay full price just for an antenna and longer battery life.