Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to koitsu

Premium Member

to koitsu

Re: MS Surface, you gonna get one?

koitsu, dude, so few words from a man who expresses himself so well! Do you own a tablet? Are you like me and dislike tablets (they are great for sofa surfers like my sister, but for real work, "not so", as my GF loves to say).

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by signmeuptoo94:

Are you like me and dislike tablets (they are great for sofa surfers like my sister, but for real work, "not so", as my GF loves to say).

I use my iPad with a bluetooth keyboard nearly daily at work. Love it.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Do you cart around the keyboard with the pad? perhaps the execution of MS is suspect, but the idea of the cover doubling as a compact but useful keyboard is a great idea. Sure, connecting a bluetooth keyboard is nice, but there are security issues!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Yes, this keyboard comes in a cover, it works well and people are always asking me about it. I'm not sure what security issues would be of concern; I don't believe the iPad will pair with any other device without authorization...

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to signmeuptoo94

MVM

to signmeuptoo94
I have no use for a tablet or "flat surface" computer (Surface, iPad, etc.), which is why I kept my answer simple.

I have spent some time with an iPad (about 2-3 hours) a co-worker of mine had, and let's just say I was left with a pretty sour taste in my mouth. I was really disappointed at how much general stuff I couldn't do -- not highly technical stuff like what I do professionally or personally, just very simple/common usage things did not function correctly or work at all. Lack of Flash, for example, really made me laugh (I hate Flash as a technology, I wish it'd die, but let's face it, it's one of those necessary evils). I did like some of the "fancy" visualisations/UI features, but those are just ooh-ahh material and lose their appeal after you've seen them a hundred times.

My mother, who's almost 60 but is semi-familiar with technology (she used to help assemble original Pong machines for example), finds these products "strange" for the exact same reasons I do. She scoffed at the price too (as do I). I imagine the Surface to fall into the same category.

I really want to know what demographic these products are intended for. I'm not trolling -- I really am serious.

The only thing I can see them being used for is to act as a glorified book and web page reader, and I imagine they do those tasks quite well. But to me, they look like a big mobile phone, and I abhor mobile phones (haven't had one for over 10 years).

I use my computer(s) differently than the masses, so my reluctance and disapproval is understandable. But like I said, my mother, who is pretty much a "simple computer user", does not understand what these things are for either -- especially for how much they cost.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Said the laptop to the tablet:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· lts_main

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

said by signmeuptoo94:

Said the laptop to the tablet...

Cute (sorta cringing over young girls voices though, always shrill and hurt my ears). Hmm, which do I dislike more, tablets or laptops... I think at this point I would probably say laptops, just because of vendor mentalities (see small text) and the fact that stuff keeps running hotter and hotter.