Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to voxframe

Premium Member

to voxframe

Re: nanobridge fix

said by voxframe:

I also install the feedhorns upside down. Makes things a hell of a lot easier for just in case situations.

*cough*lightning*choke

Its the only time I have to replace them, we lose a handful to lightning just like any other radio.
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

OHSrob

said by Inssomniak:

said by voxframe:

I also install the feedhorns upside down. Makes things a hell of a lot easier for just in case situations.

*cough*lightning*choke

Its the only time I have to replace them, we lose a handful to lightning just like any other radio.

Are you using FTP/STP wire by chance ?

We use it and give our POE's a dedicated ground that bypasses the ups's ground. (Our boxes have their own grounding rod). So far we just have POE failures after pretty much every big storm. We have not yet experienced a failure or switchport failure from lightning yet.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

We use it on tower sites, but that hasnt made a huge difference. Earlier this year lightning hit directly a site and blew 2 up in one crack along with the PoEs and router.

Customers, not really, after the sour taste of tough cable gave us we never tried the new stuff.

Some of the older stuff I dont mind replacing! I can finally get that 2024 MTU Ive been after!
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

OHSrob

said by Inssomniak:

We use it on tower sites, but that hasnt made a huge difference. Earlier this year lightning hit directly a site and blew 2 up in one crack along with the PoEs and router.

Holly crap, is the tower grounded ?.

One thing ive seen the cell phone company's doing on their sites they ground the antenna's mount's with 6AWG to a grounding bus at the top of the tower that runs down to their grounding ring. You might want to look into doing something similar.

Also don't forget the anti-ox on your grounding. I had to re-do grounding at once site because I never used it. After every storm the 3 devices near the top of the tower would crash and require a reboot.

When I tested the ground and found from one leg of our tower to the other leg's grounding rod it was 2 megohms. That was no good so I ran a new wire lower on the leg to the grounding rod and put some anti-ox on it. Now its under 300 ohms from anywhere on the second section to ground.

We also ground our enclosure box, Bypass our ups's for the POE ground as well as ground our switch's.

I have found ups's will have battery’s explode and the board inside will suffer damage if you have the poe's ground through the UPS.
said by Inssomniak:

Customers, not really, after the sour taste of tough cable gave us we never tried the new stuff.

I can't say I blame you, Its caused us tons of grief and re-work. The level 1 tough cable is by far the lowest quality junk wire ive ever worked with. I regret making the mistake of trusting ubiquiti to make wire.

I have since moved back to other vendors for the cable and will not be considering ubqiuiti cable until the relaunched product line has been tested for 2+ years by the community.
said by Inssomniak:

Some of the older stuff I dont mind replacing! I can finally get that 2024 MTU Ive been after!

That's a big jumbo MTU, Do you see any sort of performance improvement with it ?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

That's a big jumbo MTU, Do you see any sort of performance improvement with it ?

Not yet, too much of my network is still 1522/1524 max L2MTU. I hope one day to have it all swapped out, and finally pass a full frame packet in a VPLS tunnel end to end on my network without fragmentation.

Some parts of my network are really old.