uniqs

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to technocar2

to technocar2

Re: Stuck on DOCSIS 2 speeds?

said by technocar2:

If you are getting speedboost then everything is fine ........

Yea, must make saphier feel all warm and fuzzy knowing he just blew $200 on a D3 Gateway his plan didn't require at all.

Must really boost his confidence in Rogers knowing he spent all that time talking to a tech and running tests and the Rogers rep didn't have the guts to tell him he was on a D2 Grandfathered plan.

Sure makes a statement about Rogers credibility, integrity and honesty when dealing with their unsuspecting customers.

Folks might think some of us are too suspicious and judgemental of Rogers...........a lot of us have learned the hard way.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

I'm pretty sure saphier is renting the modem, otherwise they wouldn't let him swap out the modem so easily.
Its not a Grandfathered plan; its a hidden plan designed to stop people from going over to the smaller ISPs, meaning people can still get that plan if the rep wants to give it out.

He is not a "unsuspecting customers" he knows very well he has express with 300GB for ~$48 while others would have to pay $150 for the same kind of usage. He wanted higher usage for less and that's exactly what he got, end of story. I'm betting he is on some kind of 2 yr contract which states he can't get anything other than the original express for the 300GB to apply, in which case he agreed to the terms of the deal. Regardless of how you look at it, rogers has him by the throat since he wants higher speed now, and rogers will not give it to him and they don't have to legally speaking, therefore he will have to break the contact and pay up big time. Win for rogers and that's exactly what they wanted. The lesson he should learn is that you should only go for discount deals from rogers not special plans as they will screw you when you don't like the plan you got. With discounts you have the option of changing plans and the discount still applies as they apply to service categories.

Also I don't blame rogers reps for not knowing the 300GB plan is hard set to 12mbps because logic would say express is express because said reps were not trained as retention reps.

Yep...this is typical rogers that we know and hate.
saphier
join:2012-11-10

saphier

Oh boy, seems like I have to clear some of the air around here.

1) I know I'm on a grandfathered plan because I was using a D2 modem from the old days of Extreme 10/1 (where you had to buy the modem). I was paying the $50 overage for "unlimited usage" until recently, when they upped the cap to $100/month, which prompted me to phone in to inquire if they would do anything about it - they switched me to a 300gb plan (this was in August). My contract expired already and they did not require me to renew it when they switched me over to the 300gb plan. I was getting 12mbps steady with speed burst on this plan.

2) I phoned in recently (a week ago) to see if I can, in exchange for a year's commitment, secure discounts to the service. I did. One of the offers that induced me into the contract was an increase in speed via upgrading my modem from D2 to D3 (this was the words of the retentions rep). I accepted based on that understanding and merrily went to collect my D3 modem (rental), to which I found out I still had D2 speeds. As of right now, I'm canvassing my options as I'm still within the 30 day cancellation contract provision. If Rogers cannot offer me the speed they promised, I will be most likely going elsewhere.

3) Actually, the tech I spoke to at first instance pretty much stated what technocar2 said - that because I was on the 300gb plan, I was stuck on the 12mbps download. He transferred me to retentions CSR, who told me that he was mistaken, and then transferred me to another tech which opened a "ticket" to reset my account to show 18/25mbps. I phoned in 2 days later, and the tech then confirmed that my account is set correctly on 18/25 mbps, but somehow I am still throttled to 12. Suggested I swap out the Cisco for the Hitron, and so I did. No luck. So again, it was a retentions rep that offered me the increase from 12 to 18, and another retentions rep that confirmed it is possible for 18/25+300 gb usage.

Anyway, that's my tale of woe. Let's try to keep things civil around here!
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

yyzlhr

The speeds are tied to the product codes. No matter what tickets are launched, the speeds cannot be modified. The Express with 300gb is provisioned for 12mbps regardless of what these reps are telling you. You're getting exactly what you pay for. If you're not happy with that I suggest you call back in within 30 days to cancel your contract within the buyer's remorse period.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to saphier

to saphier
said by saphier:

Let's try to keep things civil around here!

Admittedly, the fur does fly here on occasion. But our goal is all the same. Getting at the truth.

And the only way to get at that truth is to shake the hell out of the Rogers tree..........
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to saphier

to saphier
said by saphier:

1) I know I'm on a grandfathered plan (snip) they switched me to a 300gb plan.

That's not a grandfathered plan then, it's a new one because there is no way to get switched to a grandfathered plan.
aibojk
join:2004-05-25
Richmond Hill, ON

aibojk to elitefx

to elitefx
Saphier,

Any update? I am about to get this package but I don't want to be stuck at 12Mbps.

Aibo
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by aibojk:

Saphier,

Any update? I am about to get this package but I don't want to be stuck at 12Mbps.

Aibo

If you want higher usage you are better off with TPIA, if you want higher speed then rogers is the only option.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

2 edits

yyzlhr to aibojk

to aibojk
said by aibojk:

Saphier,

Aibo

This package is remaining at 12mbps at this time.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that this package is currently provisioned at 12mbps when the regular express was ALREADY at 18mbps. If it didn't get the bump to 18mbps, do we really think Rogers is going to bump this to 25mbps?

Zforgetabout
@rogers.com

Zforgetabout

Anon

I own a DOCSIS 2 modem @ 10 Mb/s.

I had a casual DOCSUIS 3 modem pre-purchase concern, and a Rogers rep immediately agreed I could try a provisioned rental DOCSIS 3 modem for up to a month, and make my own measurements.

Afterwards I could make an informed choice about a DOCSIS 3 modem and/or service purchase. If I didn't want to permanently change anything, then simply return the modem and re-provision my personal one.

I haven't yet done this as I'm currently satisfied with my 10 MB/s, but this seems a very reasonable low-risk approach.