join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to bloort

Premium Member

to bloort

Re: 3801HGV is mislabled. Should be 3801SUX

If by name resolution you mean DNS, no not really.

Is this for local network ip resolution? or WAN?

If local, I'd recommend a 3rd party router behind the 2Wire/Pace and let the 3rd party device run your LAN

I didn't realize other Telcos were using the 3801 -- good to know
bloort
join:2012-11-09

bloort

Ya the local DHCP or DNS gets confused if you change a computer name, or ip address. nslookup can report 2 identical ip addresses for the same computer name, one valid, one of course not. It is interesting, the home page will show the computer name with the working ip, but a ping will resolve a different non working ip address.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Yeah the 3801 does not seem to like name changes of devices that are already logged. There is a LAN device list reset inside the management gui (192.168.1.254 on AT&T 2Wire/Pace models -- not sure for Sasktel if the same). A factory reset (hitting & holding the red reset button on the back for about 20 seconds) would also clear the current device list

The device also doesn't like devices that have the same device name with different mac addresses -- have run into issues where multiple iDevices (typically) have the same device name & then have trouble reconnecting

My first recommendation still would be to use a 3rd party router for your LAN. Set up your 3rd party router into the "DMZPlus" mode to pass the public IP to your router, and then run your LAN as you wish

I don't think this would be a WAN issue at all, but if you want, you can download a program called "uvrealtime" which will give you stats on your broadband link & connection, and it has some LAN information as well. uvrealtime.com is the site for that.
bloort
join:2012-11-09

bloort

To clarify, it was holding two ip address for the same computer name and mac. I guess i shouldn't be too hard on it. it's fine for basic internet access. I suppose I was expecting it to handle home networking as well, or as simply as the Dlink or Linksys commonly used in homes. I guess as a gateway it's been fine. The wifi seems to be good. Just the internal networking part isn't very good. At least there's no noisy fans!

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by bloort:

To clarify, it was holding two ip address for the same computer name and mac. I guess i shouldn't be too hard on it. it's fine for basic internet access. I suppose I was expecting it to handle home networking as well, or as simply as the Dlink or Linksys commonly used in homes. I guess as a gateway it's been fine. The wifi seems to be good. Just the internal networking part isn't very good. At least there's no noisy fans!

Pretty good summation, and I agree