Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Goliath13

join:2009-07-10
Reviews:
·VOIPO

New Polycom with Bluetooth; VVX 600

Continuing my years long search for the perfect VoIP phone I came across a press release of Polycom's mentioning the VVX 600. This is the first Polycom with built in Bluetooth. I own the VVX 500 and it's a great phone but I was really missing the Bluetooth functionality and convenience that I had with my Aastra. »www.polycom.com/content/www/en/c···2_2.html
The way it stood, you had to get pretty creative in order to get a bluetooth headset to work with a Polycom phone or you could use a USB headset like the Plantronics.
Anybody out there lucky enough to get their hands on a VVX 600?

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

1 edit

Why yes. I still have one on my desk.

I also have a couple of VVX-500s and a VVX-1500 in my home and office. I'm looking forward to the coming camera module for the 500/600 models.

I've been using the VVX-500 with a Plantronics Voyager Pro HD. It works well, even delivering HDVoice to the headset. Hook state control works great.

My initial impression is that the VVX-600 sounds even better than the the larger VVX-1500 model, although as yet I have no empirical evidence to support this assertion.

You can use the Plantronics BT or DECT cordless headsets with the VVX-500. It supports the Plantronics BT300 dongle or the Plantronics Voyager Pro UC, which comes with the BT300.

I've also used the VVX-5/600 with the Savi W430. That headset comes with a USB DECT radio.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

Does this come with its own bluetooth headset, or will it work with any headset?

I ask this because I have had terrible luck getting decent sounding audio to work with the 'headset' bluetooth profile.

I have a Logitech H800 bluetooth headset that I use with my MacBook Pro. Whenever I try to use it with a SIP client or Skype, it sounds like crap. I can use the A2DP profile, which sounds fine, but it disables the microphone.

I assumed this was a limitation of the bluetooth headset profile. If this is not the case, I am curious to know how the VVX-600 gets HD voice through the headset!

mgraves1
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to Goliath13

Those who frequent this forum, VUC calls or my blog will know that I've put a lot of effort into trumpeting HDVoice. I've tried to bring it into daily use in my working life, and by extension into much of my employers telecom. Finding HDVoice capable headsets was a part of this process.

At first only wired headsets supported HDVoice, but eventually the came to be some BT and DECT based products as well.

The first HDVoice capable BT headset that Plantronics offered was the Voyager Pro UC, which I reviewed in 2011. It was aimed at corp users and commanded a premium price that included a USB BT dongle.

»www.mgraves.org/product-reviews/

Later on they offered the Voyager Pro HD which was actually a more advanced model. It was aimed at consumers and did not include the BT dongle. It was also much cheaper. This is the headset that I've used with the VVX-600.

I don't have the specifics of the BT profiles used. That never interested me. I just wanted to know that it worked.

According to the Polycom FAQ for the VVX-600:

"Q: Does the VVX 600 support electronic hook switch capabilities?

A: Yes, the VVX 600 supports electronic hook switch capabilities with certain GN Netcom/Jabra, Logitech, Plantronics and Sennheiser brand headsets.
For more information, we will be posting a technical bulletin with a list of all the compatibility headsets."

»www.polycom.com/content/dam/poly···enus.pdf

I've been thinking about writing a formal review of the VVX-500 & 600. If I did that I might well create a voice reading of the review using the headset and USB port to actually make the recording.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

Goliath13

join:2009-07-10
Reviews:
·VOIPO

Would love a review, if possible Mgraves:)
We own a few VVX500s for the past few months and they've been great.
The only thing for me was finding a decent BT headset that I could use with my Polycom and my iPhone that didn't look monstrous on my head if I wore it out of the office.
My Aastra had bluetooth functionality but IMPO they're still not as good as Polycom phones.

mgraves1
Premium
Houston, TX

said by Goliath13:

My Aastra had bluetooth functionality but IMPO they're still not as good as Polycom phones.

I asked about the BT radio in the Aastra phones, but found that it didn't support HDVoice in any case.

mgraves1
Premium
Houston, TX

1 edit
reply to Goliath13

Just for kicks I dug out an older Plantronics Voyager 510 BT headset that I had on-hand. It was one of the first things that I ever bought from Plantronics.

After charging it via the USB port on the VVX-600 I was able to get it paired with the phone. It's not immediately obvious if the hook switch control works correctly.

With EHS mode set for Plantronics using the headset button on the phone does open a path to the V510. Tapping the call control button on the headset does drop the call.

Subsequently tapping the call control button on the headset does not take the phone off hook.

Call audio using the V510 is strictly narrowband.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org