spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JamesJohnstn
@leaseweb.com

JamesJohnstn

Anon

[Speed] Business Speeds?

I am a business class customer here on the 27/7 tier.

I was looking at the residential speeds compared to that of business.

One would think the business would receive the same speeds, if not higher? It just seems to make sense to me.

Why does the residential folks get faster speeds and we pay double for less speed? (I understand the 24/7 support is included on business class.)

Does anyone also have any idea what an acceptable amount of data to push through this level?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

You answered the cost question - more data consumption and higher service levels are priced into the business class price, which (without bundling discounts on residential) is about $10-$20 more for the lower tiers.

You can push as much data as you want. Comcast can decide you have pushed too much and ask you to terminate (with ETF) or go to a higher speed tier.

I would expect something on the order of "more than 50%" of your total capacity would trigger that. Maybe less, or more. Who knows, it's not a hard limit.

JamesJohnstn
@leaseweb.com

JamesJohnstn

Anon

As I mentioned, we are on the 27/7 plan.

One person in the household is streaming HD content, the other is browsing the internet listening to HQ radio, the other person is video chatting with Skype, and two are connected to the Xbox live service playing a video game.

Is that sufficient speed for what we are doing? Or is there a little room for leeway?

Extide
join:2000-06-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Extide to JamesJohnstn

to JamesJohnstn
Plenty, if not more than enough.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to JamesJohnstn

Premium Member

to JamesJohnstn
said by JamesJohnstn :

As I mentioned, we are on the 27/7 plan.

One person in the household is streaming HD content, the other is browsing the internet listening to HQ radio, the other person is video chatting with Skype, and two are connected to the Xbox live service playing a video game.

Is that sufficient speed for what we are doing? Or is there a little room for leeway?

You are in the best position to answer your own question. Are any of the users mentioned complaining about dropout or delays?
keason
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI
·Comcast Business
·T-Mobile

keason to JamesJohnstn

Premium Member

to JamesJohnstn

Just check your latency

If you have any latency spikes, you are usually nailing your connection. With the usage you have described, you could probably drop back to the 16/3 tier. HD streaming might take 6-10Mb/sec with a spike for buffering, the others in total 1 Mb/sec. (you could support 2 HD streams with the 16Mb connection) I'd try it to see if it works for you and save $40/mo. You can always return to 27/7.

Residential is currently a better deal if you don't want exchange email accounts, static IPs or better service. You can also bundle TV with it more cheaply.If and when Comcast reinstates usage caps the value equation will change but it sound like you are in contract.