howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

howardfine to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 - best to pass it up: review Read more: ht

said by digitalfutur:

BTW I've just gone back to IE as the default browser after a few years with Chrome. Both the desktop and Start screen versions of IE10 load faster than Chrome and render pages faster too.

But it cannot render pages created with current modern standards and practices like any other browser can. »html5test.com/compare/br ··· e22.html

In addition, while the other browsers get upgraded every 6-8 weeks, IE10 will receive no technical upgrades for at least a year.
quote:
Plus those IE10 optimized sites like msn.com are far easier on the eyes than what you get with IE9 or other browsers.

If MSN.com is being built to work better with IE10 than any other browser, that flies in the face of what they are saying and is detrimental to half the world that doesn't use IE and even fewer who use IE10.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

If MSN.com is being built to work better with IE10 than any other browser, that flies in the face of what they are saying and is detrimental to half the world that doesn't use IE and even fewer who use IE10.

I agree. If you are designing a web page, would it not be a good idea to make the page viewable by as many people as possible, and not code it to only run on a specific browser?

However, in the case of MSN, I think there is actually 2 versions.

I'm on Windows 7 now, and when I go to www.msn.com, its just like it used to be (no tile interface). However, when I had Windows 8 running, the URL that was being used by IE10 (both in desktop mode, and in Metro) was something different. I don't remember exactly, but I thought I saw a T in the URL somewhere (T indicating tablet, or tabs).

If you happen to have that URL, what happens if you go there in a non IE10 browser? Like in IE9 running on Windows 7, or Firefox/Waterfox/Palemoon on Windows 7?

--Brian

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
Optimizing for IE 10 (technically optimizing for Windows 8) is no different than optimizing for mobile (phablet). If other browsers are fully compatible with Windows 8, and they'll need to be to maintain market share, they'll display the optimized pages in a similar way.

The point is that Windows 8 is going to put an end to those cluttered webpages with tiny pictures and a million links on the main page, instead of a few section links that you drill down deeper if you need to, by swiping or clicking.

USA today is another site that's cleaned up its main page Windows 8 style,.

»www.usatoday.com/

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

2 edits

howardfine

said by digitalfutur:

If other browsers are fully compatible with Windows 8, and they'll need to be to maintain market share, they'll display the optimized pages in a similar way.

No browser optimizes itself to any operating system. The W3C is the only spec a browser follows. In fact, the current movement is to responsive design where the device itself is all but ignored.
quote:
The point is that Windows 8 is going to put an end to those cluttered webpages with tiny pictures and a million links on the main page

Windows never had anything to do with that. Such designs have been out of favor for years. The USAToday site you point to is only a javascript slider which we've been using for a long time and you can even get a canned version of the same thing.
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

1 edit

computerman2

Premium Member

Did an Upgrade Install of WIndows 8 to start with, eventually will do a fresh clean install of Windows 8, but NO Problems, Performance is Excellent, All programs work great

Very Happy with Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
Start Screen does not bother me

Came from Windows 7 64bit
been using it daily since the 26th, Not a single issue with crashing or problems at all, Very Fluid Response, Start screen is not a problem, hot corners easily accessible with a mouse just fine. Built in Windows Defender working great for protection, if I should decide to switch back to Avast when Avast 8.0 comes out and it's stable, then I may do clean install then, but for now happy

Does anyone else with WIndows 8 Media Center have Internet TV or ability to burn Cd/dvd's right from Media Center--mine is missing those options

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by computerman2:

Does anyone else with WIndows 8 Media Center have Internet TV or ability to burn Cd/dvd's right from Media Center--mine is missing those options

I know for Windows 7, Internet TV went away back on Sept 20th. I would think the same would be true in Windows 8.

See this thread for more info

»[WIN7] September 20th Internet TV in WMC ceases

--Brian

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Brian is correct, Internet TV is not longer available with any version of Windows Media Center.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Oh ok thank you both

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to computerman2

MVM

to computerman2
I forgot when Media Center lost some specific features. However, even when you could burn disc of recorded TV easily it could only be done with mpeg not H.264 / AVCHD based recordings.

Many of my recordings are H.264 / AVCHD and are DRM free.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Not sure at this point and time when I may do a clean install of WIndows 8 in the future, Debating as well if I need HP Recovery Paritiion anymore as well.

Otherwise running great even if was in-place upgrade for now