spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

if dish hopper gets shut down will dvrs be next?

Do you think if dish hopper gets shut down then they will try to shut down dvrs next? I mean you can fast forward through commercials and automatically record shows just like with hopper or are dvrs protected like vcrs are?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
Hopper has survived it's first test when a judge did NOT impose an immediate hold.

I think the main complaint is the AUTOMATIC skipping. The media companies think of it as a form of external editing NOT being done by the end user. It may be tougher to block it from end users on the primary device. That said, they are already doing it on OnDemand and many streaming services, so they are training us to get used to being time slaves.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Will there come a time when we can no longer skip commercials while watching a previously recorded show on our dvrs? Which in my opinion would render them useless.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to mikedz4
Commercials are here, and kind of should be here, for quite some time.

Most Cable MSOs insert their own Local Advertising which is revenue. So I do not think you will ever see a Cable product like the Hopper.

Dish does not, therefore, no loss to them.

But now think of the value of your ads on homes with Cable and homes with Dish? Suddenly if you think you are reaching 2mill with cable and 1.5mill with Dish.. it might be more like 1.9mill with Cable when you take into account homes that record and skip Vs Dish where their own device automatically strips out the ads you paid to have viewed.

I know in this world everyone thinks everything should be free and whatnot but the only reason for TV, Cable, Dish and the shows on them is to get Advertising into your home.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Will there come a time when we can no longer skip commercials while watching a previously recorded show on our dvrs? Which in my opinion would render them useless.

Cable companies are already doing this with OnDemand. Some networks restrict the use of fast forward to either a slow fast forward or no fast forward. It would be easy for cable companies to do this with network DVRs. It would be harder to do this with stand alone DVRs because people are used to being able to skip commercials and would resist this. I think fewer people would rent DVRs if they couldn't skip commercials.

If the court rules that the automatic skipping of commercials violates copyright laws and Dish loses all appeals, Dish can remove that feature. This won't affect other DVRs that don't automatically skip commercials.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

shades

join:2001-06-26
Williamstown, NJ
reply to mikedz4
you can fast forward every network ondemand ,there is a 5 minute skip and then just rewind , works just the same

Russ6

Houston, TX
said by shades:

you can fast forward every network ondemand ,there is a 5 minute skip and then just rewind , works just the same

That is not true on the S25 Guide for SA/Cisco STB areas. See my previous post above. Also, the 5 minute skip does not work OnDemand.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to shades
Most network programming has fast forwarding and rewinding removed from their on-demand offerings.

shades

Williamstown, NJ
I just tried a show from all 4 major networks and the 5 minute skip and rewind worked just fine and CBS allows all fast forwarding

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
On-demand? I tried the fast forward and rewind button and get a circle with a line through it.

shades

Williamstown, NJ
yes on demand , the 5 minute skip is the page up button

Russ6

Houston, TX
On the SA/Cisco STBs with the S25 Guide, OnDemand disables the fast forward key on ABC, FOX and NBC shows. There is a message that states this and it is slightly different for each network. If you press the fast forward key, a circle with a line through it shows up, but the program continues to play normally.

CBS S25 Guide OnDemand shows allow you to fast forward.

All S25 Guide OnDemand network shows allow the reverse key to work, but the 5 minute skip function (page up & page down) does not work.
--
Links:

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA
reply to mikedz4
I don't get it people complain shows get canceled, there's no good content, they have to watch ads. I hate ads just as much as the next guy and agree the networks have to find another method of creating profit as people want ads less and less. Ads will always be around for years to come there's a huge market for well, marketing. But the money has to come from somewhere to fund these shows.

shades

Williamstown, NJ
reply to mikedz4
i guess only on motorola boxes the 5 minute skip works

Russ6

Houston, TX
said by shades:

i guess only on motorola boxes the 5 minute skip works

The 5 minute skip works on DVR recordings but not when watching OnDemand with the S25 Guide on SA/Cisco STBs. I think it may be a future enhancement for OnDemand for the SA/Cisco STBs. Also, it could depend on individual network approval like whether the fast forward key works or doesn't work.
--
Links:

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
I believe the 5 minute OnDemand skip on Motorola's was part of the A28 update. Cisco's will probably get it with S28 or whatever the next update will be called.

Russ6

Houston, TX
said by andyross:

I believe the 5 minute OnDemand skip on Motorola's was part of the A28 update. Cisco's will probably get it with S28 or whatever the next update will be called.

The next guide for SA/Cisco STBs is the S26 Guide, which started being deployed at the end of the Summer, but has been put on hold with December being the new scheduled restart of deployment. I think it has been deployed to about 12% of the Comcast SA/Cisco STB market. I don't think the S26 Guide has the 5 minute OnDemand skip. Maybe that is the reason Comcast called it S26 instead of S28. There are other missing features between S26 and A28.

Comcast's goal is to get both SA/Cisco STBs and Motorola STBs that can support Tru2way on the X1 Guide (aka On-Screen Guide 3.0). Comcast is deploying the A30 Guide on Motorola STBs and On-Screen Guide 2.0 in some SA/Cisco STB markets in the meantime which delays the deployment of the X1 Guide on both Motorola and SA/Cisco STBs.
--
Links:

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
why not just skip to the x1 guide? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Floppy

join:2002-07-03
The X1 guide is the future and will take years to penetrate just 50% of their subscribers let alone 100% due to limited supplies. Instead of resting on their laurels they're trying to make the best of an outdated guide.

Russ6

Houston, TX

1 recommendation

reply to mikedz4
The old legacy cable boxes will not run the X1 Guide. The X1 Guide requires cable boxes that support Tru2way. In the SA/Cisco STB areas this is the RNG STBs and in the Motorola STB areas this is either the RNG STBs and/or the more modern Motorola STBs. Comcast does not want to make all these cable boxes obsolete in a short period of time. The S25 Guide was ported from the Motorola A25 Guide instead of being ported from the Motorola A28 Guide which would have taken longer. The S26 Guide is to update the SA/Cisco STB to add most of the Motorola A28 features, but there are still missing features. The X1 Guide is taking longer than Comcast expected for both the Motorola and the SA/Cisco STBs so Comcast is adding features to the Motorola Guide with A30. I wonder if these features will be added to the legacy SA/Cisco STBs. The more time Comcast spends on updating the guides for legacy cable boxes, the less time it can work on the X1 Guide for both the SA/Cisco STBs and the Motorola STBs. Comcast doesn't have enough software programmers to work on all the guides it has at the same time. It is a tradeoff.
--
Links:

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
directv was able to add a new guide to H2X and HR2X boxes that some are pushing 4-5+ years old.

Can't comcast at least do some thing for the HD boxes can cut off new guide for the OLD SD ones?

Russ6

Houston, TX
The X1 Guide will be HD.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
They need to step up the pace and get the x1 guide out. Even Microsoft doesn't take this long with windows updates and they do FAR more computer variables than comcast does with stbs. Older computers can still run windows xp while a lot of ones will run windows 7 or 8.
Maybe comcast needs some help from microsoft.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
But remember that Comcast has to try and support as many legacy boxes that they can. MS can come out with a new version, and make money from sales of new computers in addition to those who want to upgrade.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
Just let the legacy boxes use i-guide plain and simple. No sense leaving my box in the dark ages.
It would be like microsoft not releasing windows 8 until all of the windows xp and vista computers are upgraded to windows 7. Makes no sense. Punish someone will newer machines because some people have older ones.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
reply to mikedz4
Dish's Hopper won't be shut down.