uniqs

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to mikedz4

MVM

to mikedz4

Re: if dish hopper gets shut down will dvrs be next?

Hopper has survived it's first test when a judge did NOT impose an immediate hold.

I think the main complaint is the AUTOMATIC skipping. The media companies think of it as a form of external editing NOT being done by the end user. It may be tougher to block it from end users on the primary device. That said, they are already doing it on OnDemand and many streaming services, so they are training us to get used to being time slaves.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Will there come a time when we can no longer skip commercials while watching a previously recorded show on our dvrs? Which in my opinion would render them useless.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by mikedz4:

Will there come a time when we can no longer skip commercials while watching a previously recorded show on our dvrs? Which in my opinion would render them useless.

Cable companies are already doing this with OnDemand. Some networks restrict the use of fast forward to either a slow fast forward or no fast forward. It would be easy for cable companies to do this with network DVRs. It would be harder to do this with stand alone DVRs because people are used to being able to skip commercials and would resist this. I think fewer people would rent DVRs if they couldn't skip commercials.

If the court rules that the automatic skipping of commercials violates copyright laws and Dish loses all appeals, Dish can remove that feature. This won't affect other DVRs that don't automatically skip commercials.