Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to pnh102

Re: Verizon not going to replace copper damaged by Sandy

said by pnh102:

said by CXM_Splicer:

- In all likelihood, FEMA is giving them money to FIX the copper... not ignore it.

I think that is insane. Shouldn't Verizon or whoever the local phone company is be expected to have some form of private insurance, or money set aside, to fix these things?

Verizon was a Fortune 10 company the last time I checked. They don't need corporate welfare. If I am expected to save up my own cash or have insurance to cover the costs of catastrophic losses for my stuff, then so should they.

This and every other disaster proves that FEMA is the biggest, saddest joke of a government agency. They literally cannot do anything right, period. Perhaps it IS time to disband it and simply let states and local government have access to these funds so they can do their own disaster preparation instead. Consider how California responds to an earthquake, or how Florida responds to a hurricane. They seem to be far more on top of things than the federal government ever will.

Your attack on FEMA is based on one posters speculation that they're giving money to Verizon. I have found no proof of that anywhere.

meeeeeeeeee

join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

1 recommendation

Anyway... next disaster how would we survive without the Feeble Excuse Making Agency? It's a tough job... but SOMEONE has to do it.

lv66vette

join:2004-07-01
Miami, FL
Go ahead and knock FEMA, until you need it, you will be the first in line.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
said by lv66vette:

At which point you will be like the poor saps in New Orleans and New York who did not heed the warnings and prepare. Starving and without energy.

We should all simply accept that when (not if) disaster strikes, you will be on your own and no government help will come at all. Plan and prepare accordingly. It is not that hard to do.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Your attack on FEMA is based on one posters speculation that they're giving money to Verizon. I have found no proof of that anywhere.

This is government we are talking about. It is prudent to assume they are always doing the wrong thing until proven otherwise.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

meeeeeeeeee

join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102
said by pnh102:

said by lv66vette:

At which point you will be like the poor saps in New Orleans and New York who did not heed the warnings and prepare. Starving and without energy.

We should all simply accept that when (not if) disaster strikes, you will be on your own and no government help will come at all. Plan and prepare accordingly. It is not that hard to do.

How many people DIED in New Orleans waiting for the Feeble Excuse Making Agency? You BETTER be prepared to take care of yourself, because Washington won't.
--
Isn't it sad that those that raise their right hand and swear "to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America" are usually the ones most likely to trash it.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

TRUST ME... if someone else wasn't paying the bill, Verizon wouldn't have us working 12 hr days, 7 days a week; they have lobbied away most of the regulations that would require them to expedite repairs. Verizon has to declare a 'State of emergency' (which forces us to work) in order to get the bucks from Uncle Sam. I don't have proof that it is FEMA but it seems likely since they are tasked with infrastructure recovery... the managers quite openly state we get money from them. Maybe it was just a coincidence that immediately after the FEMA relief fund for hurricane Irene was closed, Verizon's emergency was over and our overtime cut. I will try to dig up some documentation tomorrow at work.

RudolfR

join:2012-11-26
reply to lv66vette
Well, actually, you might do better with private insurance. Quite a few people have reported that their interacting with FEMA (and SBA) contributed more to their health problems than to their recovery.