All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
mr_rique
join:2012-11-10

mr_rique to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123

Re: Review! New Gen 4 user/Mac OSX/IOS

hughesnet123, thanks for the instructions! Very easy to change, just as you said.

Sadly, it does not seem to have helped much, at least based on Hughesnet and Speedtest's test results.

HN tests (DL speeds) 10852, 2783, 3993 (UL speeds) 84, 881, 1014
Speedtest (DL speeds) 3400, 3680 (UL speeds) 340, 410

For downloads, this is a modest improvement, as I sometimes would get ~ 1000 - and obviously, if that 10852 was consistent instead of an outlier, I would be happy. Nonetheless, speeds ~3000 - 4000 falls far short of what I had expected from Gen4.

As this fix is designed to (in part) address performance issues with Mountain Lion, I doubt it will resolve another major problem we have been having with wireless connections. We use an Apple Airport Extreme. We can typically resolve the issue by re-starting the Airport Extreme and/or the HT modem and/or WiFi and/or... (you get the picture). Needless to say, this is a major hassle.

Yesterday, even our wired connection (Mac Mini) failed. When we have this connection issue, it presents in the same way every time it fails, we cannot acquire an IP address. Renewing the DHCP lease does not resolve the issue.

In addition to the above connection issues, my MacBook Pro and iOS 6 devices have been slow (which is why I wanted to try the terminal fix). There has been no difference whatsoever between the performance I am getting with my iOS devices now (except for the fact that they frequently cannot connect) and what I had been getting with the 9000. Perhaps the terminal fix will help performance for the MacBook Pro somewhat, but it can't really benefit the iOS devices.

So this is extremely disappointing. Whatever changes Apple made with Mountain Lion and iOS6, unless they are not in compliance with existing standards, I think it is up to Hughes to correct this. There is a large community of unhappy Apple owners and our numbers will grow as more and more of us upgrade or purchase Gen4.
hughesnet123
join:2012-11-08

hughesnet123

I would be disappointed also. Although, I still am not having that issue.

This is what I have noticed, using speedtest with satellite internet. It seems as though it comes in burst. For example, I watch the meter on speedtest.net. My internet is almost always over 10MB down. But sometimes the final result can end up being 3MB and I have to keep testing it to get it to catch it at 10MB.

This is because it comes in, "burst," where it will be 10MB and then a second later be 3mb and then the next second be 12mb.