how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thelanboy

join:2012-11-11
Salem, MA
reply to jut22

Re: Verizon DSL speed drop. Can someone review my line?

I have not verified whether this is intentional, but I imagine it may be. I know people who have had dry-loop Verizon DSL for years, and then a month or two after the notification from Verizon that any future account changes will require bundling a landline (thus more $$), the speed was turned down. Way down - 3 mbps provisioned turned down to 768 kbps, with normal speeds of only 280 to 500 kbps (on a good day). When calling to complain, they advise the account is only provisioned for 768 - and to 'change' it requires adding landline, etc.

In one case I know of, it turned out OK, only because the subscriber was able to get more speed for a reasonable increase.

But all appearances are that this is intentional breach of contract to upsell. Then again, Verizon obviously does not seem to want to be in the DSL business, for good reasons--and also has a long history of screwing up orders.

snailmail

join:2012-03-25
Bishop, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
·Verizon Online DSL
I have a similar setup of dry-loop and just posted for the second time on Verizon Direct forum. Getting a little bit upset but starting to believe the posts saying Verizon wants to push out DSL subscribers. I'm in rural California so the only other game in town would be cable or Hughesnet sat. Had a good 6 months of solid 1mb down and .34mb up in May then starting in Nov it just went to pot. Settings before and after below.

6:59 AM 5/28/2012
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1184 448
Margin (dB) 25.1 22.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 33.2 19.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 18.2 11.9

2:17 PM 11/6/2012
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 32 160
Margin (dB) 17.0 24.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 31.3 21.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 12.0 11.9

Sometimes it does bounce back up to 864kbs down / 160kbs up but NEVER stays that way for very long.