share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

Can AMD survive?

Having AMD around and producing chips is good for the market. They have been for a long time the one that has kept Intel in line is the sense that they have kept Intel's prices for chips relatively sane.

But with the latest news out of AMD with their recent chips not performing favorably in recent benchmarks as of late and AMD laying off a number of their employees lately along with the fact that some analysts are predicting even more layoffs in the future for AMD, the question is... In its current form, can AMD survive? Lately AMD is looking more and more like a fish out of water.

Do you see AMD surviving? I hate to say this but I don't think so, at least, not in their current form. I see AMD dropping out of the desktop chip business and putting what little R&D money that they have left into low-power mobile chips and their graphics chip department. This will leave Intel being the only one in the desktop chip game.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

mattrixx

join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

Edit:

Wrong thread

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to trparky

I see them surviving as a GPU maker or low power/mobile CPU maker.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA
reply to trparky

It is indeed bad what has happened to them. I think the industry needs them to stay in the client PC business. It looks like they are heading to low cost, low power x86, and now it looks like Arm processors.

The turns the PC industry into a war between Intel, and Arm. Which is a very different situation than what we have been used to.

AMD lost their way somewhere. 10 years ago they had finally created a credible threat to Intel - even though they were still the smaller company. I don't think they followed Intel's mantra of "Only the paranoid survive". Intel come out of that a much better company, and AMD just continues to fall further behind.

I can't (and won't) speak for Intel, but I would think from a competitive perspective, it is better to have them around than not.
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to trparky

Some say Intel may not be able to survive the ARM initiative so “Can Intel Survive” is just as credible a question. Being an undisputed dominator of the x86 / x64 platform isn’t necessarily a good thing if the industry migrates away from it.

Keep in mind that what we want as enthusiasts isn’t necessarily going to effect what is going to happen in the future of the tech industry.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
Folsom, CA

True- the same has been asked of Intel.

I have faith we can. I've seen the things we are doing, the internal mindset. Could I just be drinking the koolaid? sure, I suppose. But I think we are doing some really good things right now. Take a look at the Medfield based phones - once we have LTE onboard you'll start seeing those in the US. The Clovertrail tablets have been reviewed very well (see Anandtech's comments). Our manufacturing capability is amazing, and the product pipeline is well filled.

Not to say it'll be an easy road - it never is. But we will do everything we can to keep our products and brands relevant.

Again - just my opinion. Not an official statement from Intel of course.
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

I think there will always be a need for more powerful chips than say, an ARM chip. Hell, look at Microsoft Surface. There are two models; one powered by ARM and the other by x86/x64.

It comes down to the purpose of the device. If you need a device that supports more than just your basic mobile computing, you get the Surface product that has x86/x64.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to trparky

When AMD spun off Globalfoundries they screwed up in my humble opinion. They would have been better off downsizing than completely leaving manufacturing.

AMD will survive in some form or another, but in a few years will likely be very different from what they are today. And mind you, the desktop computer industry has begun its decline now. Few people recognize the value of building your own system, and fewer still care. Like it or not, until optical based processors become present, we'll see less and less of the desktop and laptop. People love tablets (well, I don't, but I don't count). Americans are more consumer than creator nowadays anyhow...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to ccallana

Indeed,....

However, as Intel makes a priority of power efficiency in the mobile space and isn't being pressured by competition from the likes of AMD the performance market may suffer lackluster advancements.

If there is less demand for traditional computers then the availability and price of components could become a problem. Sort of like a Mac Pro, old technology that hasn't advanced significantly in years and cost ~$2500 just to start,.....ouch.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

I'd never consider a tablet for main computing. Don't get me wrong, I have an Android tablet but I don't use it for general-purpose computing. Doing anything but simple things on it is a chore and don't get me started on typing on it, that's a complete PITA.
--
Tom

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

said by trparky:

I'd never consider a tablet for main computing. Don't get me wrong, I have an Android tablet but I don't use it for general-purpose computing. Doing anything but simple things on it is a chore and don't get me started on typing on it, that's a complete PITA.

You should've gotten a Surface with a Type cover...
--
Wacky Races 2012!

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

said by aurgathor:

You should've gotten a Surface with a Type cover...

I got it back when the Surface was not an option.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to trparky

said by trparky:

I may say the same thing but I would question the relevance of doing so. My preferences aren’t necessarily ubiquitous and the world doesn’t follow my lead. The industry goes in its own direction whether I like it or not.

My Wife is a developer / programmer. She used Windows at work for years and her employer one day just gave her a Mac Book Pro for home use and a 27” iMac for office work. I’m sure there was some lead-up to this but people don’t always have a choice is what I’m trying to get at here. And when people do have a choice of platform the less sophisticated users with modest needs (of which there are many) may opt for a simpler option.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
Folsom, CA
reply to trparky

»www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/···tibility

The Convertible form factor will start to change all of that. A laptop, a tablet, all in one....

I've been using a Windows 8 tablet for several months now for work - it is certainly not ideal when away from the desk (at my desk it is docked just like a laptop). A convertible will solve that...
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to trparky

Like above I hope they do, but seeing as their high end chips are underperforming, and they're getting squeezed out of the low end by ARM, Intel and nvidia (which I think is part of the ARM ecosystem but I'm not sure) AMD better pull a rabbit out of it's hat ASAP.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

AMD and ARM Collaborate to Build 64-bit ARM-based Processors

There doesn’t seem to be much question that AMD is putting some eggs in the ARM basket too,….

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Octavean:

AMD and ARM Collaborate to Build 64-bit ARM-based Processors

There doesn’t seem to be much question that AMD is putting some eggs in the ARM basket too,….

Good to know, thanks.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
reply to trparky

Come on now. All of you AMD haters. AMD is not bad whatsoever.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
Folsom, CA

It's not hating on AMD - It's following the facts. They are losing market share, their products are not competing on the performance front and their management has made some pretty poor decisions.

Sure, they have decent products with low cost and such, but they are nowhere near as competitive as they were 10 years ago.

The question is legit - is their business plan viable in this market?
--

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

Come on now. All of you AMD haters. AMD is not bad whatsoever.

I want to see AMD survive as much as the next tech enthusiast, they keep Intel honest and innovating. But in the current market and seeing how they are doing as of late, I just can't see them surviving, at least... not as they are now.

AMD will have to do some major changes and do them soon. Bulldozer and Piledriver are flops if you ask any of the benchmarking and review web sites such as Tom's Hardware and Anandtech. Products can live or die depending upon those reviews.
--
Tom

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
Folsom, CA
reply to trparky

»www.businessweek.com/news/2012-1···ing-sale

AMD for sale.

Maybe Samsung will pick them up - the only other company large enough and with their own fab capacity.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

That is so depressing,….

xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to trparky

I wouldn't classify Piledriver as a flop. I picked up the quad core A10 for my little linux server. Trinity based laptops are amazing, and at the price points they can be had, are unbelievable.
Regretfully, I couldn't find a 13.3 that wasn't powered by the dual core.
--
So in 2012 we have a choice. You may select someone who can't keep his promises or someone who will compromise his every position if it will get him elected. I'm voting for Snoopy!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to trparky

AMD Shoots Down Sale Rumors

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
reply to trparky

AMD can't take Intel on directly anymore. It's best hope is to be a leader in low cost / low power devices.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Saw something this morning that they have hired JP Morgan to look at the future, including an outright sale.

»www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/···20121114
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by Krisnatharok:

Saw something this morning that they have hired JP Morgan to look at the future, including an outright sale.

»www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/···20121114

That's probably a smart thing to do, but imo JP Morgan is very self serving, then again, all institutions in that class are.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to trparky

I wouldn't say piledriver is a flop. Sure in single threaded applications is looses to intel, but in multi threaded it wins right now. the fx8350 is the same price as a 3570k, yet in multithreaded applications it performs on par with a 3770k(at stock speeds) for about $100 less. For multi-threaded stuff like compiling and some server stuff amd is still great. Just not a gaming cpu.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Most applications, even Office and business applications are single threaded. Games are too. So if you have a CPU that under-performs in the majority of what computers are used for today, that's a problem.

Konceptz
Intel

join:2001-12-22
Chesterfield, VA
reply to trparky

I remember some time ago reading an article that AMD has pretty much lost interest in the high end CPU market. I think AMD will survive, all the next gen consoles are AMD powered. The new 8000 series is around the corner, new pile driver revision, and then steamroller.