Huh?
Premium,VIP
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA
reply to trparky

Re: Can AMD survive?

»www.businessweek.com/news/2012-1···ing-sale

AMD for sale.

Maybe Samsung will pick them up - the only other company large enough and with their own fab capacity.
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

That is so depressing,….

xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to trparky

I wouldn't classify Piledriver as a flop. I picked up the quad core A10 for my little linux server. Trinity based laptops are amazing, and at the price points they can be had, are unbelievable.
Regretfully, I couldn't find a 13.3 that wasn't powered by the dual core.
--
So in 2012 we have a choice. You may select someone who can't keep his promises or someone who will compromise his every position if it will get him elected. I'm voting for Snoopy!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to trparky

AMD Shoots Down Sale Rumors

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
reply to trparky

AMD can't take Intel on directly anymore. It's best hope is to be a leader in low cost / low power devices.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Saw something this morning that they have hired JP Morgan to look at the future, including an outright sale.

»www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/···20121114
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by Krisnatharok:

Saw something this morning that they have hired JP Morgan to look at the future, including an outright sale.

»www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/···20121114

That's probably a smart thing to do, but imo JP Morgan is very self serving, then again, all institutions in that class are.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to trparky

I wouldn't say piledriver is a flop. Sure in single threaded applications is looses to intel, but in multi threaded it wins right now. the fx8350 is the same price as a 3570k, yet in multithreaded applications it performs on par with a 3770k(at stock speeds) for about $100 less. For multi-threaded stuff like compiling and some server stuff amd is still great. Just not a gaming cpu.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

Most applications, even Office and business applications are single threaded. Games are too. So if you have a CPU that under-performs in the majority of what computers are used for today, that's a problem.

Konceptz
Intel

join:2001-12-22
Chesterfield, VA
reply to trparky

I remember some time ago reading an article that AMD has pretty much lost interest in the high end CPU market. I think AMD will survive, all the next gen consoles are AMD powered. The new 8000 series is around the corner, new pile driver revision, and then steamroller.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to trparky

Yeah, you really think people will be able to tell a difference when using ms office on an amd cpu and not an intel one?

Donut

join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Comcast
reply to trparky

Read an article in the Detroit Free Press where AMD was talking about getting out of the high end chip market. I know as of late they have been focusing on their APU chips which are not too bad. Plus the Piledriver is 10 to 15 % faster than the Bulldozer. I think they might still try to compete in the Higher end chips, but focus on their APUs, GPUs, and server chips.
--
Mr. Donut

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

said by Donut:

Plus the Piledriver is 10 to 15 % faster than the Bulldozer.

So they're no longer worse than the Phenom II's?

Donut

join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI

According the bench marks done on Linus Tech Tips the Bulldozer was about on par with a 6 core Phenom II. There was only one test where the Bulldozer had noticeable performance over the Phenom II.
--
Mr. Donut

xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
reply to me1212

AMD does just fine in gaming. I'm still using a Phenom II 1090T coupled with a HD6870 everything runs at or close to max settings on a 1080p monitor.
Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, etc...
--
I voted for Snoopy!

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

I know they do, about 1/4 of the gamers I know use amd. Partially because we live near microcenter and amd cpus come with a free mobo. Sure the i3 may be better for games but most people I know don't think its $50 or more better.

vliktor

join:2005-07-27
Philippines
reply to ccallana

AMD has a 10-15 yr(?) cross-licensing agreement with Intel regarding the x86 architecture patents. It's going to be another interesting legal slugfest if Samsung (or any other company) were to show interest in buying out AMD.

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA

AMD looses their license if they get bought out. Intel might let them keep so DoJ/EU won't bother them but with 2 billion debt that's an expensive gamble.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Da Man:

AMD looses their license if they get bought out.

Really? I assumed if you bought the licensee, you got to use the license as well.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to vliktor

said by vliktor:

AMD has a 10-15 yr(?) cross-licensing agreement with Intel regarding the x86 architecture patents. It's going to be another interesting legal slugfest if Samsung (or any other company) were to show interest in buying out AMD.

One would think controlling interest in majority share would sidestep that paradox,….

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to trparky

Rumors that Intel going to buy Nvidia:
»www.brightsideofnews.com/news/20···tel.aspx

What I dont get is.. Why not buy AMD instead.. you get the cpu and gpu tech. /shrug.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
Folsom, CA

Can't buy AMD due to anti-trust... and Nvidia is the stronger company with stronger leadership at this point.

It certainly would be an interesting move. I don't see it happening, but I've never been good at forecasting these sorts of things.
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

Really? I assumed if you bought the licensee, you got to use the license as well.

Its a poison pill in the agreement. Section 5.2(c) says
quote:
this Agreement shall automatically terminate as a whole upon the consummation of a Change of Control of either Party.
Via's probably has the same thing since they haven't been bought.

mattrixx

join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL
reply to vliktor

said by vliktor:

Just speculating here, but what could keep Apple from gobbling up AMD with all it`s huge financial resources, if AMD indeed goes up for sale, and manufacturing it`s own Processors (among other things)?

(edit for clarity)

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
Folsom, CA

AMD has no manufacturing anymore - they sold all that off to Global Foundries.

Apple has a great design team already - I don't think they want to design their own x86 procs at this point.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
reply to Da Man

Noted, thank you for clarifying.