FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy to trparky

to trparky

Re: Can AMD survive?

Rumors that Intel going to buy Nvidia:
»www.brightsideofnews.com ··· tel.aspx

What I dont get is.. Why not buy AMD instead.. you get the cpu and gpu tech. /shrug.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA

ccallana

Premium Member

Can't buy AMD due to anti-trust... and Nvidia is the stronger company with stronger leadership at this point.

It certainly would be an interesting move. I don't see it happening, but I've never been good at forecasting these sorts of things.
Da Man
join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA

Da Man to El Quintron

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

Really? I assumed if you bought the licensee, you got to use the license as well.

Its a poison pill in the agreement. Section 5.2(c) says
quote:
this Agreement shall automatically terminate as a whole upon the consummation of a Change of Control of either Party.
Via's probably has the same thing since they haven't been bought.

mattrixx
join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx to vliktor

to vliktor
said by vliktor:

AMD has a 10-15 yr(?) cross-licensing agreement with Intel regarding the x86 architecture patents. It's going to be another interesting legal slugfest if Samsung (or any other company) were to show interest in buying out AMD.

Just speculating here, but what could keep Apple from gobbling up AMD with all it`s huge financial resources, if AMD indeed goes up for sale, and manufacturing it`s own Processors (among other things)?

(edit for clarity)

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA

ccallana

Premium Member

AMD has no manufacturing anymore - they sold all that off to Global Foundries.

Apple has a great design team already - I don't think they want to design their own x86 procs at this point.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Da Man

Premium Member

to Da Man
Noted, thank you for clarifying.