Click for full size
Grounding to rack
Click for full size
Groudning out to tower
Click for full size
Ground
Click for full size
Inside hut
Finally got keys to our new site we are leasing.
We are the only Wisp on it and has a great coverage area.

1 sector, 1 PTP 2ft dish Lease -$600 per month which was negotiated down from $1200 just by asking..

We will give it a try at this site for a year to see what kind of take we get Fios is all round in the valley below but there are other areas this site sees that do not have anything more then slow if any DSL.

These are the ones we are going to target as well as ones who want to have a choice. Bandwidth will be pulled down below at a business via Time Warner fiber who will transport back to 1 Wilshire where we can get bandwidth off a Gig-e port for $2 per meg..

I plan on putting up the sector and backhaul by the end of the month to be ready for the winter months and hit it hard this X-mas season. The place where we are pulling the fiber to is already interested in buying bandwidth from us off the fiber directly which if I play my cards right they will end up paying for most circuit and I get free rent and power. Then all I do is a PTP up to the tower less then a mile away.

They have been trying for years to get fiber from Verizon and any ILEC with no success and the Time Warner feed passes right thru their property which in my book is a WIN WIN for both of us. TW said they have service to the building already as well as the Cell tower sites on the property but the MIS dept has never heard of any fiber to the buildings but we will see this next week either way its possible to get fiber there according to TW.

Retail on a 100x100 meg from Time Warner is like $5000 I am getting it for under $1000 plus my cost for bandwidth is $400 for 200 megs. I figure I can sell them bandwidth for 50x50 for like $1500-1600 maybe even more and they will be happier then pigs in you know what..
--
»www.accelwireless.com
ComTrain Certified Tower Climber.
Wireless and IT consultant.
Proficient in Mikrotik

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

1 edit

There used to be a radio station on the site who left recently. Now we have the rack and existing power etc. Looks like the Genset backs up power to the whole site but maybe only just the cell providers. The main electrical panel feeds right thru our portion of the building so I will be able to look further in the next week to determine which circuit goes where and if we also have generator back up which would be a nice bonus..

I did have a question on that copper ribbon ground from the base of the tower to the inside rack, who safe and reliable is that? Any suggestions for it or do you think it will be okay?

Should I also run an 8 guage ground from the rack to the main electrical feed panel?

Its about 120' tower we will be at 60' for the UBNT sector and PTP dish.

Thanks
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

copper strap is a preferred way over around wire

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

Cool thanks I was wondering it it was okay to ground it directly to outside where all the other grounds were or if I needed to also ground to the inside utilities?

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to viperm

Keep it on the site's ground. Avoid the electrical ground if you can. I would reccomend that you do a test from the grounding rod to the strap tho with your multimeter. That ground looks old.

BTW your getting an incredible deal on your bandwidth.

Also is the cell phone company on there following Motorola R56 guidelines ?

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

Thanks. Not sure about the cell company. Site owner had no info other then freq.

OHSrob

reply to viperm

Fair enough, Do they have a grounding ring ?

I just noticed that grounding rod doesn't look like a 11 foot copper coated rod. I would recommend installing a new grounding rod and moving the rack's ground over to it.

That just looks like that iron rod you weld together then build forms for and poor concrete in when your building something like a bridge.

That is one sweet site.

edit: If the cell company has a grounding ring just connect your rack to it at the rod closest to the building. It will provide more protection then that.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

reply to viperm

I see plenty wrong there...

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

Well I am open to whatever you think needs to be addressed as long as it does not cost an arm and a leg..

Thanks

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
reply to OHSrob

Yes the current ground rod looks like a piece of rebar that was placed in the ground when the pad was poured. I have no idea how deep it goes. The grounds attached to it go in a couple directions and look like about 10 guage copper that go directly into the ground and possibly around. I have not investigated to much this day as I was on a time crunch. I will look further in the next couple weeks.

This is not owned or operated by a cell company they are only a tenant. I will try and dig up more from the owners of the tower maybe some old as builts or something.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to viperm

The rebar is a stub-up that connects to the rebar cage in the base. That is actually a pretty good ground, IF the rest of the system is done correctly (it's not).

There is a lot of scabbed-on crap there...what a mess.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

1 edit
reply to viperm

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
These diagrams show what the grounding at the site should be like. You may not be able to achieve this exactly, but every effort should be made to accomplish this.

Sites that have "rent-collector" landlords rather than site managers end up looking just like your new site.

Been there, seen that, had to deal with it (I'm a licensed broadcast engineer).

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to viperm

Good to see you found a nice site but that site needs major work if you want it grounded correctly.

I don't have time now to point it all out but it's bad from
What I am seeing.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

Well nothing is stopping me from moving forward this will be our "main" site.

So I will be investing some money to correct what issues it may have or possibly get the owners to fix one or the other. I have clients who already want service. For one I will be adding my own ground buss barr outside before entry to my eq..

Hit me offline when you do have time to discuss. For now I am going to be cleaning and mounting eq in the next couple weeks while addressing any electrical needs.
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

thewisperer
Premium
join:2008-01-16
reply to viperm

when I see what you are paying it makes me feel better

I am on two 10 floor highrises: one of them just asked me for 325 a month with a 75 dollar monthly increase every year.

After 5 years its 625 dollars a month: but, its not per antenna.

I reserve the right to do what I want in an area 6 x 6 : non penetrating roof mount

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

Nice!!

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

3 edits
reply to viperm

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
final connections
Click for full size
partial view of valley
Click for full size
First Eyeball attempt
Well spent several hours today setting up the backhaul and sector.. still have to do final alignments on the bachual but just eyballing it on a 4 mile shot -52 90+ CCQ not sure I can get more but we will see. It was starting to get to dark to be on the tower..

Will repost pictures directly here later.. time for church to say a few thank you's and some requests for a great new year full of wireless customers..

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

2 edits
reply to viperm

viperm nice pics them Ubnt sectors look small compare to them cell tower sectors LOL....

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

Yep it was supposed to rain all weekend but it just got really cloudy and a few drops so I figured lets do this!

OHSrob

reply to viperm

-92 noise in 40mhz I envy you. you can probably see upwards of 150-160 megabit's per second tcp on that link.

At only 5.8km for the link as well you are probably even within the range of airfiber.

edit: If both ends of the p2p can't see anything else 5ghz in 40mhz turn airmax off for a bit more speed.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

Turned off Airmax about same RSSI and same speed 148 meg thruput on radio test. Until I get a Tik up there I cant do router to router test yet..

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

So in PTP situations Airmax should be off?

Then in AP mode Airmax on makes work like better when having many clients? Basically turning Polling on?

OHSrob

1 edit
reply to viperm

I have airmax off on one point to point it gave me a few extra megabit's.

edit: I wouldn't run ptmp without it.

Chele

join:2003-07-23
kudos:1
reply to viperm

The latest 5.5.4beta allows you to get a few extra megs out of the link. Obviously, you are taking risks with beta.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
reply to viperm

FYI everyone PLEASE check your sector antennas from UBNT this is a 120* one we purchased, and as we were getting reading to hoist it up I noticed the plastic end caps on top and bottom had a gap between it and the panel that covers the array.

Low and behild the bottom cap fell right off? the bottom and top caps had no kind of glue to hold them in place to keep them from sliding off? If I would have left it this way who knows maybe a trip in the middle of the night to figure it out.

So we put silicon in the slot of the end caps and slid the bottom and front array covers back on. Not sure if this is a QA thing but kind of pissed me off..

SO BE AWARE!! before you mount this thing to check those end caps. I will say its an interesting array if you get a chance to look behind the plastic panel.
--
»www.accelwireless.com
Proficient in Mikrotik

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
reply to viperm

Dishes all finally aligned got it down to -42 on a 3.8 mile link with 2 ft dishes. Think I need to turn the power down to get it into the -50's?

OHSrob

reply to viperm

Drop the power by 8 to 15dbm, In my experience having too high of a signal can be problematic as every other 5ghz device on your tower is hearing that pretty loud as well.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA
reply to viperm

Click for full size
Okay 2nd customer on our new site back as a WISP..

3.2 miles out with dish signal could be higher but the sector is turned further away from this customer so I am still happy until we get another sector up there. I want to get as many as I can on this first sector before I go putting another one up as my rent will go up I am sure by a few dollars..

OHSrob

reply to viperm

I would reccomend you put your ptmp in 20mhz it will work much better and save you radio spectrum.