uniqs

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

[IckyPoo] Absent mindedness: Making life frustrating!

You've all heard me complain about my absent mindedness. I miss placed my check card yesterday and spent several minutes terrified I had lost what money I have.

Seems every day I do something else boneheaded. Do any of you hassle with being absent minded? When I was a kid, my mom called me her absent minded professor. Now that I am much older, heck, let's face it, I'm OLD, it's gotten worse.

In my first marriage, EVERY morning, almost, I'd lose my keys or something, and my wife of the time would always rescue me (they're on the couch, Mark!) Sad to say, but I need someone to keep track of everything I do, but she's on the other side of the planet. I sure wish there was a pill!

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe

I was going to post here, but I forgot to hit Post Now!

No wait I DID! Never Mind!

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Thanks Santa Fe, I needed that, I'm still shaking from the scare!

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe

Yeah, know the feeling. I've started every once in awhile doing the "I entered this room for something, now I've forgotten what it was" bit. And of course when I go back & sit down I remember what it was.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
As my birthday numbers get higher (I won't admit to getting older!) I too am finding myself doing bone-headed things. I can't count how many times I have "lost" my wallet or gone into another room to get something only to forget what it was. (I do that a lot!)
I forgot what I was going to say next.

howieh
4 more weeks
MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

1 recommendation

howieh to signmeuptoo94

MVM

to signmeuptoo94
I am 66 and rarely misplace any of the items that I carry on a day to day basis, keys, wallet, cellphone, money, credit cards, comb, watch, ring, glasses etc. I have designated places for everything and if I always put them in their places, they are always where I expect them to be. No, the items are not all in the same location, they are actually stored in three different locations. When I was working, I had work related items like company id and memory sticks in a fourth location.

When I use a credit / debit card, whether it is at the pc or in a store, it is always returned to my wallet immediately after its use.

Try making a list of items that you lose, designate a location for each item and always put the item in the same location.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit

1 recommendation

jaynick to Santa Fe

Premium Member

to Santa Fe
The problem is doorways. Blame it on them.
Ever get up to retrieve something from another room only to completely forget what you needed after crossing the doorway?

You're not alone, and scientists think forgetful trips between rooms result from how our brains interpret spatial information.

Researchers already know that walking from one space to another makes people more likely to forget tasks when compared to others who don't make such a transition. Called "location-updating effect,"
the phenomenon also causes people transitioning between rooms (even virtual ones) to take more time while attempting to recall items from memory.

Full study here... »news.discovery.com/human ··· 123.html

So the remedy is stop before going through that 1st door and remind yourself what you are doing, the only problem with that is that I forget to do that.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I bought a sandwich because I was famished and had no time to cook at home. I put the card in a weird part of my new wallet (my old wallet was literally in tatters, it was made of hemp and had lasted about 10 years) and I panicked without looking hard enough in the part of the wallet it WAS in. I even called the eatery where I thought I lost it. Doh!

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick

Premium Member

Glad you found your card, I know that sinking feeling well.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Re: [IckyPoo] Absent mindedness: Making life an adventure!

I can't seem to find a clip of Hillary on Fresh Prince of Bel Air where she said it was time to go buy 30 car keys since it was a new month!

I sometimes need to go back to my desk to recall where I was headed!

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94

Re: [IckyPoo] Absent mindedness: Making life frustrating!

I had my bit of absent mindedness this morning. The power went off about 2:45 AM and we are most aways up before light this time of year. After Breakfast the wife got up from the table, put the battery lamp on her walker and went to the bathroom.
Now want did I do with my flashlight? it was pitch dark.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Now that sucks, going to the CR (comfort room, that's what my girl calls it) without light. And if you lose a light in the pitch dark, that is even worse!