spc
Search similar:

uniqs

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

Sandy ... mom GAVE AWAY her damaged car :/ help analyze!

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
so 200,000+ cars might be damaged after Sandy ...

my moms car was one of them...

it was a 2001 Chevrolet Impala

we got it in 2003 for $9500 and had it ever since... was running OK

by OK I mean first 4 years no problems - but lately:

* it needed tuning of this and replacement of that ... I think averaging $1300 a year

* check engine light was on... and at times on a highway it would not want to shift into higher gear seamlessly - you needed to release the accelerator/gas pedal wait 3 seconds - "let it catch it's breath" and then press it - and it would go into higher gear...

* had some dents, scratches, wear and tear here and there ...

but other then that seemed OK

I will admit - she could afford a better car and was a bit shabby to drive around in a 10 year old car - just because we got so used to it - I guess it is a bit like wearing your favorite 10 year old shirt...

Some family / friends pointed out from time to time that we ought to look to upgrade...

===========

So came Sandy - and our car got COMPLETELY submerged :/

we did not have comprehensive insurance for flood damage...

Her mechanic - a family friend - said repair is difficult ... and it will be nothing but problems ...

So NYC said they will start issuing tickets from Oct 5th for alternate side parking ... so what it's $35 a ticket for two times a week ... if they even would issue tickets on our street...

but my mom needed to fly out for a few weeks...

So I am still trying to understand how / why ... she said it was even hard to find anyone to tow / take it away...

someone bought it as scrap - the deed ... for $250 !!!

someone is making a TON of money!

I'm like WTF!?!? Mom WHY?

maybe my math or logic is wrong... but I'm like repair it - for $... well here is the thing - how much realistically would it cost to get it running to OK condition ?

I am not sure if the engine took on water...
and etc...

but repair it for $x and sell it for $y

$y - $x = $z = profit

drive it around until you get a new car

NOW the market will be full of these flooded cars - driven to other states... re-registered... and sold as nothing happened...

NOW due to the demand for cars ... an average price for a used car will go up...

I'm like WHY ?

can you please shed some light on this ...

I am angry and bitter about this...

how much would it be to fix the car to running condition ?

what am I failing to see?

thank you very much...

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

1 recommendation

Jtmo

Premium Member

The car is now useless, you would need to tear down every mechanical component (tranny, engine) and clean replace. Also every electrical part is now shot. Likely would cost you more than the car cost new to 'properly' repair it. Even a bandaid approach would be more than buying a good used car, plus the nickle and dimeing or should I say the $100/$1000 repairs that will come up every few weeks. Let alone the smell.....

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

1 recommendation

MooJohn to inGearX

to inGearX
The debris shows the entire engine was submerged; there is water in it and the transmission too. There is nothing left to salvage on that car. Every single piece of electrical gear is junk - every computer, every relay, every harness. Before the incident the car was worth $3k at most, and that's without considering the transmission or CEL issues. It would cost 2-3x that easily to get that into reliable condition. I'm sure you can make it drive for much less but it won't last long before issues start popping up - but I guess that would be somebody else's problem, right?

I'm surprised that your biggest concern is that she won't be able to unload it on some unsuspecting slob dumb enough to buy a flood car. Hopefully CarFax will flag all VINs from that region so buyers will inspect much more closely.
zach3
Zach
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

1 recommendation

zach3 to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
I'm surprised that she was able to get someone to tow it away and give her $250 for the title.

Count your blessings.

By the way I looked up the price of the car on Blue Book and the Top value was only $3000. With all of the damage done like I said, count your blessings.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

1 recommendation

Cho Baka to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
She got scrap value for scrap.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

said by Cho Baka:

She got scrap value for scrap.

well slightly less then scrap value, all the steel melted down is still pretty worth while, it's the tearing it apart that is a pain in the ass.

just rough guessing your looking at, at least 2400lb in scrap steel. the gas tank can be recovered and sold(plastic tank), anything plastic is still good. realistically she got less then scrap value.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Considering the tow, I think she did ok.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

yea scrapyards have been pretty cheap lately, charging you money to tow your car for them to part out and make huge amounts over what the cost to run their own tow truck.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Add another thing.
You'd have to remove all the fabric in the car. As a warm, wet environment is a nice growing medium for mold and other "Icky" things.

So besides all the mechanical stuff, there is also the other things to consider.

Count your blessings. They being she survived, and you got 250 for the car.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
I'm with everyone else. Car is worthless, you should be glad she got 250 for it. EVERYTHING would need to be service. Engine rebuilt, trans rebuilt, electrical broken down. interior,etc,etc,etc.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to inGearX

to inGearX
If someone makes a ton of money selling some of those now flood damaged parts they are crooks. Some stuff after proper cleaning would be fine but there is now a ton of stuff you wouldn't want to use again.
Plus how long flooded and how long before cleaned is also a factor. If it just sits there with the salt accumulation for a long period even some stuff that could be saved would be garbage.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Well, body parts, interior plastic, and parts like the intake manifold are still good after a cleanup. The rest is trash. There is money to be made, even off these cars. Lots of money.

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Yeah but where would she keep a parts car

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I was referring to the wrecker. They'll make $2000 off this car, minimum.

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

I was being sarcastic.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
A car over 5 years old that costs $1300 a year to keep on the road, over and above normal maintenance, should be sold or scrapped before it's submerged.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to inGearX

to inGearX
A flood car is worthless, and the title is required to be marked "FLOOD". I'd say that getting $250 is a really good deal. Did I mention that a flood car is worthless?

Although I don't understand why you didn't have insurance coverage.

jmpenguin
Jmpenguin
Premium Member
join:2004-01-16
Labelle, FL

jmpenguin

Premium Member

Many people only have the minimum insurance that the state requires. Many do not carry comprehensive insurance because of cost may be more than value of vehicle.
It may surprise you; car insurance does cover flood damage to cars, as long as you have selected the right coverage on your auto insurance policy. A flood can easily total out a car and the only way to get your insurance company to pay for the repairs or your total loss is to carry comprehensive coverage on your policy.

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium Member
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY

ROCINANTE to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
What you are failing to see is that the car is worth only $250 in its current condition. Yes, some mechanic may be able to partially clean/repair it on his own time and part it out for a profit. The question is, do you have the tools and knowledge to do that? If not, then it is not worth it. The mechanic's profit is not your concern.

Anyway, she will get a tax deduction on the loss.

dsl14350
join:2005-06-16
Holland, MI

dsl14350 to inGearX

to inGearX
we did not have comprehensive insurance for flood damage...

OK, explain this, no comp ins at all, or just for flooding?

If you/she didn't have any comp ins...kick yourself where ever it hurts the most...

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to inGearX

to inGearX
said by inGearX:

how much realistically would it cost to get it running to OK condition ?

At that point you'd basically be keeping the rear-view mirror and putting a new car on it. As others have said, every last system in that car would be untrustworthy and need to be rebuilt or replaced completely. Very few things inside of a modern car can withstand submersion without issues.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
She got a good deal.

She can replace the car for $3000. It would have cost more than that to restore it to good working condition.

»www.kbb.com/chevrolet/im ··· te-party

Does FEMA provide money for uninsured losses?

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX to Rogue Wolf

Premium Member

to Rogue Wolf
said by Rogue Wolf:

said by inGearX:

how much realistically would it cost to get it running to OK condition ?

At that point you'd basically be keeping the rear-view mirror and putting a new car on it. As others have said, every last system in that car would be untrustworthy and need to be rebuilt or replaced completely. Very few things inside of a modern car can withstand submersion without issues.

especially salt water.

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
Tickets are only $35 in NYC?

Geez...out here they're $48!
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to inGearX

to inGearX
and just so you know, the symptoms you are giving, very common on W bodies, a worn transmission throws a 1811 code and basically means you need a rebuild... more than the value of the car, so good riddance i say

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

4 recommendations

Steve to inGearX

to inGearX
said by inGearX:

I am angry and bitter about this...

It wasn't your car to be angry and bitter about
BloodDragon
join:2012-11-06
Parkersburg, WV

BloodDragon to inGearX

to inGearX
Hate to be the only naysayer, but......

1. If the car cost $1300 a year to keep on the road, it was time to get rid of it any way.

2. Yes people frown on flood cars, but there are a ton on the road many more than people seem to want to believe. The same seals and gaskets that keep your oil, trans fluid and every other fluid in check and from leaking will also keep water out.
The major issue with flooding is when people run there car in flood waters and suck water into the motor through the exhaust during a stall.
No one ever see an off road vehicle with a snorkel so the vehicle can be submerged in water and still run?

If the car wasn't running when in water, let every thing dry out very well(no one ever take there car to the car wash cover the distributor/coil packs and pressure wash it?) drain the oil and trans fluid, refill. Replace air filter, pull spark plugs, crank engine over to insure no water in cylinders. put plugs pack in, start car. After running for a little bit drain and refill oil and trans fluid again and change filters to be safe.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to telco_mtl

Premium Member

to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

and just so you know, the symptoms you are giving, very common on W bodies, a worn transmission throws a 1811 code and basically means you need a rebuild... more than the value of the car, so good riddance i say

Wouldn't that be a PO7xx code on OBDII, which GM has used since the 90s? I had a PO780 on a Grand AM that was getting old but otherwise in decent shape. Was a second car for me at the time. That wasn't worth the cost to repair but found a backyard mechanic willing to give me $500 for it and rebuild the tranny himself for his personal use. I jumped on it due to cost of repairing or keeping a car that would not pass inspection(any MIL code is grounds for that in Massachusetts) and did not shift properly. Otherwise, I agree with you and everyone else. That alone would be sufficient grounds for dismissing a 10 year old car worth 3K at most, let alone all the other damage caused after the flood!! His mom was lucky.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by Selenia:

said by telco_mtl:

Wouldn't that be a PO7xx code on OBDII, which GM has used since the 90s? I had a PO780 on a Grand AM that was getting old but otherwise in decent shape. Was a second car for me at the time. That wasn't worth the cost to repair but found a backyard mechanic willing to give me $500 for it and rebuild the tranny himself for his personal use. I jumped on it due to cost of repairing or keeping a car that would not pass inspection(any MIL code is grounds for that in Massachusetts) and did not shift properly. Otherwise, I agree with you and everyone else. That alone would be sufficient grounds for dismissing a 10 year old car worth 3K at most, let alone all the other damage caused after the flood!! His mom was lucky.

my most recent grand prix (ive had an impala and 2 grand prix) i actually put a new transmission into it, but they all threw a p1811 and would shift like a kid learning to drive a standard. On a car that old yeah not worth the repair, we have a trans shop up here that actually rebuilds using aftermarket parts and gives a 5 year warranty! only thing out of my trans i got back was the shell
rjgogo
join:2003-10-22

2 recommendations

rjgogo to BloodDragon

to BloodDragon
said by BloodDragon:

Hate to be the only naysayer, but......

The major issue with flooding is when people run there car in flood waters and suck water into the motor through the exhaust during a stall.

Please explain how an engine can suck water in through the exhaust. This statement really gives you no credibility.