share rss forum feed

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cdru

Re: Sandy ... mom GAVE AWAY her damaged car :/ help analyze!

Around here which is a hurricane sandy area i can get 250 for anything that has a cat and battery in it. Tow truck driver cuts the cat off, removes the battery takes it to the scrap yard where they do the prep work. he gets 100.00 for the cat 9 bucks for the battery as scrap. removes wheels if they are aluminum and he still walks away with 350-400 for the shell with engine in it. Hell i just had a driver pickup a 1989 toyota corolla . He got 450 for it after removing the cat and battery. The guys that come and get these vehicles are NOT the scrap yard. They are just guys driving around making a buck. Cat alone fetches 100.00 here

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Beezel
said by Beezel:

said by CylonRed:

I disagree - therer are many cars with no real chance of having been in a flood. Many areas of the country DON'T get floods.

You would think in Las Vegas desert wouldn't have any floods. Last month we had 2 good ones. Many cars underwater, and homeowners without flood insurance.

Sorry - but that does not make anything I posted wrong... There is a large wide swath of flooding in NY, NJ and other areas. CarFax is only doing what is prudent for cars in the area orfor other areas that have had a flood recently.

It does not make sense to flag all cars or else their job would be VERY easy - they could just flag EVERY car in their db for EVERY issue - but that is completely and totally unreasonable.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

I disagree - therer are many cars with no real chance of having been in a flood. Many areas of the country DON'T get floods.

You would think in Las Vegas desert wouldn't have any floods. Last month we had 2 good ones. Many cars underwater, and homeowners without flood insurance.

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV

1 edit
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

said by Beezel:

When I lived in WVa. The local crusher just cut the tank straps and hoses and gave the tank back or kept it for a fee and gave the wheels back as long as they had tires on them. No fluid or a/c evac. done.

How long ago was that? It wouldn't surprise me if unscrupulous yards do it. But I think they risk big if caught. Here's an article from nearly a decade ago about recycling a vehicle and what's necessary in the process as well as touches on the fines. I can't imagine that the process is more lenient these days.

Last car I took in was in 2006. Plus many codes and regulations aren't enforced in WVa.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Beezel
said by Beezel:

When I lived in WVa. The local crusher just cut the tank straps and hoses and gave the tank back or kept it for a fee and gave the wheels back as long as they had tires on them. No fluid or a/c evac. done.

How long ago was that? It wouldn't surprise me if unscrupulous yards do it. But I think they risk big if caught. Here's an article from nearly a decade ago about recycling a vehicle and what's necessary in the process as well as touches on the fines. I can't imagine that the process is more lenient these days.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

said by CylonRed:

They are not flagging as having damage - just possible damage. That way people think twice before NOT having it checked.

If CarFax does not mention the possibility and then some one buy one of these cars - CarFax will be crucified.

They are doing the prudent thing...

But EVERY car has flood damage potential. NE floods. Midwest floods. NOLA floods. Florida floods....

It should already be a standard disclaimer for any used vehicle.

--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

said by rody_44:

More money can be made as scrap than seperating glass and plastic.

Around here auto bodies fetch about $.08/lb or $180/ton. Curb weight is about 3400lbs so about $300 scrap. Call me crazy, but I don't see them paying out $250 then having the labor to prep it by removing fluids, evacuating the AC, and all the other things that need done before it goes to the crusher just to make less than $50.

My money would be to sit in a junk yard for a while and have what can be stripped off and salvaged to be done so. THEN it goes to the crusher. Just like almost every other junker.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

If Carfax starts mass flagging vehicles as flood damaged without verifying, they may damage their credibility as a service.

I see the OP hasn't been back. Looks like all the discussion mollified the distress conveyed in the first post.

up here doesnt carry much weight anyways, in quebec it rarely shows insurance claims.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

More money can be made as scrap than seperating glass and plastic.

Around here auto bodies fetch about $.08/lb or $180/ton. Curb weight is about 3400lbs so about $300 scrap. Call me crazy, but I don't see them paying out $250 then having the labor to prep it by removing fluids, evacuating the AC, and all the other things that need done before it goes to the crusher just to make less than $50.

My money would be to sit in a junk yard for a while and have what can be stripped off and salvaged to be done so. THEN it goes to the crusher. Just like almost every other junker.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

They are not flagging as having damage - just possible damage. That way people think twice before NOT having it checked.

If CarFax does not mention the possibility and then some one buy one of these cars - CarFax will be crucified.

But EVERY car has flood damage potential. NE floods. Midwest floods. NOLA floods. Florida floods....

It should already be a standard disclaimer for any used vehicle.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to inGearX
You guys totally underestimate the power of salt water. If there was a way to check ide be willing to bet the car went straight to the crusher. Seperate the metals and let it go. More money can be made as scrap than seperating glass and plastic.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

said by Annonyy :

Carfax is already pre-flagging any new car going up in the NE as a possible flood/wreck.

Seems that ultimately would result in a "Boy who cried wolf" situation. Only a fraction of the millions of cars in the region have damage, yet from your comment it seems that they are labeling all of them as possible damage.

--
Brian

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to cdru
If Carfax starts mass flagging vehicles as flood damaged without verifying, they may damage their credibility as a service.

I see the OP hasn't been back. Looks like all the discussion mollified the distress conveyed in the first post.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to Annonyy
said by Annonyy :

Carfax is already pre-flagging any new car going up in the NE as a possible flood/wreck.

Seems that ultimately would result in a "Boy who cried wolf" situation. Only a fraction of the millions of cars in the region have damage, yet from your comment it seems that they are labeling all of them as possible damage.

telco_mtl

reply to Beezel
my fathers 78 phoenix and grandfathers 79 nova (same body) hat it in the windshield too... mediocre at best

Annonyy

@teksavvy.com
reply to KrK

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV
reply to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

I remember many 70's vehicles having the antenna in the front windshield.

I hated those things. My 75 Cutlass Supreme and 77 Chevy truck had them.

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV
reply to KrK
said by KrK:

She could of gotten a little more for it as scrap if she took it in herself.

My main concern is someone will clean it up and sell it to some sucker for a huge profit. It won't show up as flood damaged on a title search because no insurance claim was made.

Someone could get suckered bigtime on that car.

Unfortunately that will probably be a problem nation wide now. All used cars will need to be thoroughly checked out because of people like that.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to Anonymous_
I remember many 70's vehicles having the antenna in the front windshield.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to inGearX
She could of gotten a little more for it as scrap if she took it in herself.

My main concern is someone will clean it up and sell it to some sucker for a huge profit. It won't show up as flood damaged on a title search because no insurance claim was made.

Someone could get suckered bigtime on that car.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

theboz1419

join:2003-02-12
Elgin, IL
reply to itguy05
You think thats expensive, I had a 1993 Ford Probe. A thief broke out my rear hatch window, I had about 6 quotes. the cheapest was around 3500, average was about 4500.

There was no way I was going to pay that. Called a few junk yards near by and found a complete hatch in the same color for 250.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to TheTechGuru
Click for full size
said by TheTechGuru:

said by Gordo74:

said by TheTechGuru:

Rear glass does not have "antennas" it has defrost heater wires.

When a real antenna is not used, glass antennas are usually in the front windshield or on the far rear side glass on suburbans.

It has defrost heater wires, yes, but the antenna wire does indeed attach to them for reception.

Source: I have a 2004 Impala as well and I can confirm that it does use the rear windshield defrost wires as an antenna

Hmm, news to me. I've used a 2012 Impala and assumed it was using the OnStar antenna on the roof for radio. Nice cars BTW, but I hate front wheel drive. Can really feel the tourq steer on the 2012 Impala.

Now days rear window antenna should be standard on cars. Since antenna's cause a lot of drag on the car . Not to mention antennas look stupid.

said by Rambo76098:

said by Anonymous_:

$2,000 just for the glass alone.
$600 for doors
$120 for the trunk
$100 for the hood
$70(ea) Finder
$350 front bumper(since it has the fog light option)
$125 for the rear bumper

$3,400

Maybe it's because they're a dime a dozen here, but used parts for these are way cheaper than you're quoting. Try $60/door. $75/bumper. $30/fender. I've had run-ins with my 2000 grand prix (virtually same car) and the sucker is dirt cheap to fix...

Sorry, After you add the cost to paint it. Then price jumps quickly. Since you will have to get the whole car painted, other wise it will look "unnatural" to the rest of the car. (wear wise)

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

$2,000 just for the glass alone.
$600 for doors
$120 for the trunk
$100 for the hood
$70(ea) Finder
$350 front bumper(since it has the fog light option)
$125 for the rear bumper

$3,400

Maybe it's because they're a dime a dozen here, but used parts for these are way cheaper than you're quoting. Try $60/door. $75/bumper. $30/fender. I've had run-ins with my 2000 grand prix (virtually same car) and the sucker is dirt cheap to fix...

telco_mtl

reply to Gordo74
said by Gordo74:

The rear windshield antenna may not be that way in the 06+ Impalas. The 2000-2005 generation it was however.

my 02 grand prix uses a third wire to the rear glass for antenna

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

said by Gordo74:

said by TheTechGuru:

When a real antenna is not used, glass antennas are usually in the front windshield or on the far rear side glass on suburbans.

It has defrost heater wires, yes, but the antenna wire does indeed attach to them for reception.

Source: I have a 2004 Impala as well and I can confirm that it does use the rear windshield defrost wires as an antenna

Hmm, news to me. I've used a 2012 Impala and assumed it was using the OnStar antenna on the roof for radio. Nice cars BTW, but I hate front wheel drive. Can really feel the tourq steer on the 2012 Impala.

The rear windshield antenna may not be that way in the 06+ Impalas. The 2000-2005 generation it was however.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to Gordo74
said by Gordo74:

said by TheTechGuru:

--

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to inGearX

--

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

Rear glass is worth $700 for a used one since they are $1200 brand new installed. (They have integrated antenna that is why the price is so high)

DAMN - you guys are getting torn a new one. I can get a rear glass for my Taurus (which also has a defroster and antenna) for $350 from the Ford dealer. That's OEM Carlite glass too.

Heck, I just went to Safelite and they will put one in a 2001 Impala for $385 and that's for the one with the Onstar antenna. A used one isn't worth anywhere near that.

telco_mtl

reply to Beezel
said by Beezel:

Yes, but there are those that want a warranty on a rebuilt engine and not a used one. So they are willing to pay the price for it. If they didn't those reman engine shops wouldn't be in business very long.

i agree, but for THAT particular engine in multiple GM cars, my replacement grand prix cost me less than the price of a re-build, had 3 months warranty and well was newer.

I dont know about in your parts, but just to give an idea on how common (and reliable) the 3.8 is here at the salvage yards you can get a 1 year warranty 3.8 for 400$, compared to the 2.4l 4cyl that was in the sunfire, its 1300$!