spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to rjgogo

to rjgogo

Re: Sandy ... mom GAVE AWAY her damaged car :/ help analyze!

said by rjgogo:

said by BloodDragon:

Hate to be the only naysayer, but......

The major issue with flooding is when people run there car in flood waters and suck water into the motor through the exhaust during a stall.

Please explain how an engine can suck water in through the exhaust. This statement really gives you no credibility.

Without the engine running "stalled" if the exhaust is submerged the water can fill the exhaust and go into the engine if the water level is high enough to fill up to the exhaust manifold. There will be some exhaust valves open to let the water in.
said by Rambo76098:

No they won't. KBB on these isn't much more than that in fair condition... and this one is worthless. Engine, transmission, and everything electrical is completly ruined. Interior is ruined. Only thing even remotely salvageable is some of the body, and even that is questionable because it was submerged in several feet of salt water.

The salt water wont hurt the metal because it wasn't under for a long time plus the factory electroplating for corrosion on the metal, primer, and paint also. There is money in the glass, plastic, also you have the tires and wheels. So the price could add up if you part it out.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Now the real question is: when you know the water is going to raise why not move the car elsewhere??? Or at least buy comprehensive insurance with low deductible...

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to telco_mtl

Premium Member

to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

agreed, some cars are designed to live with this stress, remember how they used to ship chevy vega's (nose down!)

they still truck them at some serious angles, but they are well under 45degrees.

nothing beats seeing 6 crown vics at almost 40° angles on the back of a truck because of a bet, which was you could put them on there, not that you could legally drive with them like that, ~13ft max height, these worked out to about 14.5.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Your mom got $250 more than I would have given her to tow it away. Consider yourself lucky, & that you're both alive. Can't say the same for the 100-homes in Breezy Point, or the many people living in FEMA tent city in Eisenhower Park, or the 7 people I work with who lost everything but the clothes on their back.

It was time to get rid of that car anyway. Take the $250, add a few thousand, and shop around for a quality used vehicle.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Jtmo

Premium Member

to Jtmo
said by Jtmo:

TEven a bandaid approach would be more than buying a good used car, plus the nickle and dimeing

the market is going to be flooded with bad cars for the foreseeable future. (pun intended) I wouldn't trust a used car around here for the next 5 years, and even "new" cars are suspect.
AVD

AVD to dsl14350

Premium Member

to dsl14350
said by dsl14350:

If you/she didn't have any comp ins...kick yourself where ever it hurts the most...

comprehensive for a $3000 car, In New York?
rjgogo
join:2003-10-22

rjgogo to Beezel

to Beezel
said by Beezel:

said by rjgogo:

said by BloodDragon:

Hate to be the only naysayer, but......

The major issue with flooding is when people run there car in flood waters and suck water into the motor through the exhaust during a stall.

Please explain how an engine can suck water in through the exhaust. This statement really gives you no credibility.

Without the engine running "stalled" if the exhaust is submerged the water can fill the exhaust and go into the engine if the water level is high enough to fill up to the exhaust manifold. There will be some exhaust valves open to let the water in.

If the water is high enough it comes in from the intake, not the exhaust and salt water in a cylinder for days means trashed.

The car is a wreck and they were lucky to get someone to take it away and still make $250. The buyers may make something but it was not a rip off.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to inGearX

to inGearX
Does your car have insurance? You should be able to get the blue book value which looks around $3000 - $4000

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve

said by brianiscool:

Does your car have insurance?

I can understand not reading the whole thread, but not even reading the first post?
said by the OP :

we did not have comprehensive insurance for flood damage...

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Of course the scrap yard will make a fortune. parts of that car are still perfectly fine with a bit of cleaning.

But it will never be functional as a whole car for more than the cost of a similar aged vehicle or even the downpayment on a reasonably priced new car.

That is kind of how I ended up with my 2012 Cruze. My 2000 Impala the whole control system for the traction and ABS was shot as well as some special valves. garages quoted me $3200 to rebuild the system... That is more than the KBB for that car by $1000 or more(it was a family car with over 100k on it and it was certainly well used And most of the miles where not highway miles at all as well as most of its life being in Connecticut so as with most New England cars odds are it had rust galore on the undercarriage.)

captlockheed
The reawakening of German air supremacy.
join:2003-07-12
Metairie, LA

captlockheed to inGearX

to inGearX
If the car was submerged to the roof, then the car is toast. As a lifelong resident of the New Orleans area I have seen what flood waters do to autos. First Betsy then Katrina and several once in a 100 year rainfalls.
I feel for you and your mom.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to inGearX

to inGearX
The only thing you could have reused from the car were the tires. So if you had a $1000 set of tires on the car you should have removed them first.

Everything else is just the reuse value of the metal and plastic contents.

Lesson? GET FULL COVERAGE. Many places will let you get comprehensive without collision which is what is needed in this case.

Oh, I'm not sure, but if it's her only car she might be able to seek assistance from FEMA to buy a replacement.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
It's very unfortunate. There's nothing wrong with driving a 10 year old car and paying to maintain it. Even if you spent $2500 / yr, it would be cheaper than buying a new car and making payments, full coverage, taxes, etc... It's almost always "cheaper to keep 'er".

What really sucks is if you are not in a financial position at this time to replace it (not many people are).

I think your mom did the right thing, and I do not think she got ripped off. I think she got a fair price considering the circumstance.

Here, if water goes over the door sill and entered the vehicle, it is considered "FLOOD VEHICLE" title. If the estimated cost to repair is over 33-1/3% of the value of the vehicle, it is considered "SALVAGE".
True story, my sisters first car was bought at a dealership owned by a friend. When we got home, there was a message on the answering machine from the dealer. They said to bring the car back. It can't be sold in Illinois. It had been in a flood.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

said by nunya:

It's very unfortunate. There's nothing wrong with driving a 10 year old car and paying to maintain it. Even if you spent $2500 / yr, it would be cheaper than buying a new car and making payments, full coverage, taxes, etc... It's almost always "cheaper to keep 'er".

i tried telling that to my bank once, it turned into
"why don't you get an auto loan for a new car, and pay that off"
"because i would need full coverage insurance for the life of the loan, as well as it would cost more then most used cars for me to get that insurance"
"but you have to keep putting 1k in your car each year, why would you keep it"
"because i would have to pay 4k a year for the next 4 to get another car, and then another 1k a year for repairs on that car"

this went on for an hour, i hung up on them.
said by nunya:

True story, my sisters first car was bought at a dealership owned by a friend. When we got home, there was a message on the answering machine from the dealer. They said to bring the car back. It can't be sold in Illinois. It had been in a flood.

at least they told you, there were people that tried to sell salvage titled cars from the states up here as "good to go" vehicles.

Beezel
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to rjgogo

to rjgogo
said by rjgogo:

If the water is high enough it comes in from the intake, not the exhaust and salt water in a cylinder for days means trashed.

The exhaust manifolds are "usually" lower than the actual opening to the intake not air box, so it can enter from the exhaust just as well. Also you can clean, machine, and repair the engine block and head cores themselves and use in a total rebuild. Been there and done that and have the t-shirt and calluses from it.
theboz1419
join:2003-02-12
Puyallup, WA

theboz1419 to rjgogo

to rjgogo
i had a Ford Probe get water into the air intake and stall. Took it to Ford and they had to replace the engine. My insurance paid 6500 and I paid my deductible of 500 plus I had to pay a betterment charge of 1100 for a new engine, I had 36,000 miles on it.

A month later, I received a letter from ford saying there was a recall on my car. They needed to install a water filter on the air intake to keep high standing water from entering the engine risking engine failure.

Took the letter to the ford dealership that did the work and two weeks later received a full refund on the new engine. I was very lucky I guess you could say, lol.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to Beezel

MVM

to Beezel
said by Beezel:

Also you can clean, machine, and repair the engine block and head cores themselves and use in a total rebuild. Been there and done that and have the t-shirt and calluses from it.

It's not a question of whether or not it can be rebuilt. It's a matter of if it's economically viable to rebuild it. Properly rebuilding the engine and transmission alone is going to be more than the vehicle is worth. That doesn't account for all the other electrical items that are going to need to be replaced, the new interior, or all the other gremlins that are going to show up.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

3 edits

Anonymous_ to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
said by inGearX:

NOW due to the demand for cars ... an average price for a used car will go up...

I'm like WHY ?

can you please shed some light on this ...

I am angry and bitter about this...

how much would it be to fix the car to running condition ?

what am I failing to see?

thank you very much...

would have paid you $150 just for the side skirts on that car.

talking about getting ripped off you could have parted the car your self. and made 2k-4k or so.

rims just by them self will break the buyer even. he will get about $75 too $120 each(with tire)

Expand your moderator at work

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_

Re: Sandy ... mom GAVE AWAY her damaged car :/ help analyze!

said by Anonymous_:

talking about getting ripped off you could have parted the car your self. and made 2k-4k or so.

rims just by them self will break the buyer even. he will get about $75 too $120 each(with tire)

Don't forget all the glass is reusable. $50 windows, $150 windshield, $300+ rear glass with heater wires.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

said by Beezel:

Also you can clean, machine, and repair the engine block and head cores themselves and use in a total rebuild. Been there and done that and have the t-shirt and calluses from it.

It's not a question of whether or not it can be rebuilt. It's a matter of if it's economically viable to rebuild it. Properly rebuilding the engine and transmission alone is going to be more than the vehicle is worth. That doesn't account for all the other electrical items that are going to need to be replaced, the new interior, or all the other gremlins that are going to show up.

exactly, its a 3.8 v6, great engine but a dime a dozen, i had a spotless 97 grand prix and when the head gasket went south it was cheaper for me to pick up an 02 grand prix than fix it.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

2 edits

Anonymous_ to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

said by Anonymous_:

Don't forget all the glass is reusable. $50 windows, $150 windshield, $300+ rear glass with heater wires.

windshield is worth about $80-$100 used one
Rear glass is worth $700 for a used one since they are $1200 brand new installed. (They have integrated antenna that is why the price is so high)
small rear glass is about $250 each for a used one
other windows are worth about $100 each
each door is about $150

$2,000 just for the glass alone.
$600 for doors
$120 for the trunk
$100 for the hood
$70(ea) Finder
$350 front bumper(since it has the fog light option)
$125 for the rear bumper

$3,400

floor mats could have also been resold as well as long as you hose them off and dry them
OE mats can fech $20-40 for a set

Sadly my car is worth more in parts then it is stand alone

You bet I am going to part my car out once it dies.

Could have bought another used impala for that . I got a 03 3.8 LS with the same options(no onstar) as yours for only $3,800. 130800 miles at the time

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

cdru

MVM

said by Anonymous_:

Rear glass is worth $700 for a used one since they are $1200 brand new installed. (They have integrated antenna that is why the price is so high)
each door is about $150

$600 for doors
$120 for the trunk
$100 for the hood
$70(ea) Finder
$125 for the rear bumper

$3,400

And all those things presume he or she has the time, skill, and/or space to part the vehicle out. NYC (or whatever jurisdiction the car is located in) is going to have codes prohibiting derelict and abandoned vehicles. Parting out any significant body panel, window, bumper, or wheel is going to make it illegal to drive and/or park on city streets. And I don't see an abundance of garages in those photos.

Unless you can part out an entire vehicle in a matter of hours or pay someone to take the parted out carcass away (since they aren't going to take it for free with the useful parts gone), you don't have a whole lot of options. Plus with thousands of vehicles in the region flooded plus whatever stock was already on the used parts market, there isn't premium price for a decade old very common car.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

said by cdru:

said by Anonymous_:

each door is about $150

$600 for doors
$120 for the trunk
$100 for the hood
$70(ea) Finder
$125 for the rear bumper

$3,400

And all those things presume he or she has the time, skill, and/or space to part the vehicle out. NYC (or whatever jurisdiction the car is located in) is going to have codes prohibiting derelict and abandoned vehicles. Parting out any significant body panel, window, bumper, or wheel is going to make it illegal to drive and/or park on city streets. And I don't see an abundance of garages in those photos.

Unless you can part out an entire vehicle in a matter of hours or pay someone to take the parted out carcass away (since they aren't going to take it for free with the useful parts gone), you don't have a whole lot of options. Plus with thousands of vehicles in the region flooded plus whatever stock was already on the used parts market, there isn't premium price for a decade old very common car.

+1

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to cdru

to cdru
Ya, NYC is not the place for "do it yourselfers" unless you're wealthy enough to have the privacy of your own private 2 car garage in it.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to drjim

Premium Member

to drjim
here in chicago they are $50

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_ to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
said by cdru:

said by Anonymous_:

each door is about $150

$600 for doors
$120 for the trunk
$100 for the hood
$70(ea) Finder
$125 for the rear bumper

$3,400

People like me prefer OE parts. Not from a totaled cars. (cars in accidents)

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Well, it wasn't in an accident at all. It was a flood vehicle. Depending on what you need, and your budget, it may fit your requirements for parts.

Beezel
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

Beezel to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

Sorry but there is a misunderstanding.

I am not talking about the owner rebuild it wouldn't be worth it. A salvage yard or the person (whichever bought it) can make money from it. They sell the engine core to engine remanufactures like Jasper. Sell the other parts on Craigslist or such, if the salvage yard has it they sell all the usable parts outright. So there is money in flooded vehicles in the parts business. $250 paid for car could be easily recovered by the buyer.
said by telco_mtl:

exactly, its a 3.8 v6, great engine but a dime a dozen, i had a spotless 97 grand prix and when the head gasket went south it was cheaper for me to pick up an 02 grand prix than fix it.

Yes, but there are those that want a warranty on a rebuilt engine and not a used one. So they are willing to pay the price for it. If they didn't those reman engine shops wouldn't be in business very long.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by Beezel:

Yes, but there are those that want a warranty on a rebuilt engine and not a used one. So they are willing to pay the price for it. If they didn't those reman engine shops wouldn't be in business very long.

i agree, but for THAT particular engine in multiple GM cars, my replacement grand prix cost me less than the price of a re-build, had 3 months warranty and well was newer.

I dont know about in your parts, but just to give an idea on how common (and reliable) the 3.8 is here at the salvage yards you can get a 1 year warranty 3.8 for 400$, compared to the 2.4l 4cyl that was in the sunfire, its 1300$!