H3B
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by Dustyn:

Laserdiscs.
They are the wave of the future!

I still have over a hundred titles!
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Laserdiscs.

There was a time in the early 90's when every friend of mine that was a star wars fan wanted to come over and see my wide screen copies of Star Wars. Apparently it was a big deal.

There are also some Criterion LD's that I have that I believe are still, to this day, better transfers than the DVD releases put out by other companies.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B

1 recommendation

I have Laserdisc titles that are simply not available on DVD, at least not in their extended/roadshow/widescreen editions.

- It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
- The Alamo
- Colossus: The Forbin project (widescreen on LD, pan & scan on Region 1 DVD)

Then there's my Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box multi-disc box set jam packed with tons of features including all of the Pixar shorts ever made until then, including the original "Knick Knack" with the enormous round boobies.

And, of course, my "Faces" Star Wars discs. No point in buying "ruined" versions in any format.
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit
reply to urbanriot
I've got a ton of titles too... many new many used. I don't think I'll ever part with them. I've got the Star Wars: Special Edition Trilogy (factory sealed) The Godfather Special Edition (factory sealed) Toy Story (factory sealed)... Akira, T2 Special Edition (factory sealed) ID4 DTS (factory sealed).... I've got too many used and new to list. Got a brand new/pristine gently used Pioneer Elite CLD-99 unit to play them on too. DTS titles sound utterly fantastic along with 5.1 AC-3 titles like Top Gun.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to milnoc
The faces are probably one of the best version to own of Star Wars.
I also ended up never opening or viewing my factory sealed copies of Star Wars: Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983), Star Wars: A New Hope: Making of: As told by C-3PO and R2-D2 (1977), Star Wars: SP FX: The Empire Strikes Back (1980).

All this collector talk makes me think I'm entering an Elite club...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Got a brand new/pristine gently used Pioneer Elite CLD-99 unit to play them on too. DTS titles sound utterly fantastic along with 5.1 AC-3 titles like Top Gun.

Weeeeeiiiiiirrrrrrrrd I have a CLD-D99 and all those discs minus the Toy Story, but mine are all opened and have been watched more than once.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

2 edits
It's a pretty fantastic player I think? I'm pretty sure the CLD-D99 is nearly identical to the Elite CLD-99, no? I think it was one of the first "Elite" (maybe last?) players that had the new 3D Y/C separation comb filters.
I love the Rosewood side panels... wish Pioneer still made players/receivers with them. I have a retired Pionner Elite DVL-91 DVD/LD combo unit in storage also.
--

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Laserdiscs.

Hahah, that was hilarious.

Sounds so damn silly in today's world.
--

milnoc

H3B

1 recommendation

Actually, the Laserdisc format ended up becoming a crucial prototype for the DVD format. It had closed captions, commentary tracks, special features, multi-channel sound formats (PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS), widescreen aspect ratios, and even anamorphic widescreen support during its final days. The only items that were missing were menus, alternate angles, and component video (Laserdiscs were analog composite video only).

If the Laserdisc format didn't exist, the DVD format would have had to start from scratch.

But try viewing a Laserdisc on a high definition TV today, and the results are horrific to say the least, mainly because no TV manufacturer wants to shell out good money to support a dying video format, resulting in composite inputs with extremely poor video performances and lousy comb filters.
--

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
Yeah. Laserdisc was the grandfather to DVD. Pretty sure you can buy line doublers and upconverters that will make LD's look pretty damn sweet on HD screens... but I don't know much about them nor care to invest in them as I'm continuing to view the analog source on an analog CRT. The next best thing just after LaserDisc was MUSE HI-Vision LD. More or less HD LD.
--

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to HiVolt
Couldn't remember what I was referencing when I posted that until I found the video clip. Good for a laugh, but if you take the time to research and consider just how long they were around, you'll realize how they played a vital and important role to the advent of the DVD.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJ5h0EC···=related

quote:
"Todays models have an advantage! They can play... (wait for it...) a Compact Disc."
--

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
HAH! You picked a local news feed for me! WGZR TV in Buffalo.

milnoc

H3B
On more than one occasion, I've tried to use the remote from my DVD player to operate the Laserdisc player.

Could never get the menu to appear.
--

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to Dustyn
I came across something older than a Laser Disc while visiting a friend, she had a functional RCA CED selectavision player and a collection of LP movies to go along with it.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

3 edits
said by Thane_Bitter:

I came across something older than a Laser Disc while visiting a friend, she had a functional RCA CED selectavision player and a collection of LP movies to go along with it.

Glad no one I know jumped on that bandwagon.
Although the technology is pretty interesting.
CED video discs are read via a stylus just like a record player... not a laser. The worst thing about those things were that the discs were so sensitive to dust and dirt. Although housed in a caddy at all times (except for when playing a disc) the discs could still become dusty or dirty. I've seen movies on many of those units that play "rainbow" colors all throughout the movie due to worn stylus heads, or even due to dirt on the stylus.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnzs6IgMc2E

That woman in the video is odd... that or the way she's talking.
--

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to Dustyn
I had never even seen one of those discs before...........wild.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to Dustyn
I vaguely remember hearing about the CED vinyl discs. The sad thing is that the technology was developed in the mid-60's, but due to bureaucracy at RCA didn't go into production until 1981. The timing couldn't have been worse. By that time it had competition from all sides -- both VHS and the newer two- and three-hour Betamax units as well as Laserdiscs had all been out for a few years already, so the thing was doomed from the start.
--
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn
Party? cheese puffs? quiche? ugh wow, it must be the cocaine that is keeping her perky and smiling.

Interesting how it sucks the disc in, keeps sticky fingers from messing with it. To bad they didn't use a similar system with DVDs and Bluray discs, I hate fumbling with the case trying to get the disc to release.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Thane_Bitter:

Party? cheese puffs? quiche? ugh wow, it must be the cocaine that is keeping her perky and smiling.

You'd think with the sheer terror of being buried alive, that smile would have been gone a long time ago.

milnoc

H3B
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

I vaguely remember hearing about the CED vinyl discs. The sad thing is that the technology was developed in the mid-60's, but due to bureaucracy at RCA didn't go into production until 1981. The timing couldn't have been worse. By that time it had competition from all sides -- both VHS and the newer two- and three-hour Betamax units as well as Laserdiscs had all been out for a few years already, so the thing was doomed from the start.

I remember when they came out and seeing them at Sears. The usual complaint (just like Laserdiscs) was "it can't record."
--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
And by then you could buy a Betamax capable of recording three hours of high quality video on an L-750 cartridge. I know I did! I still have many boxes of L-500's and L-750's packed away somewhere. That original Betamax (which I eventually replaced with a newer one) was about the size of a suitcase!

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
Not to mention Beta offered a superior picture compared to VHS. Sony was just too greedy/stupid to licence their technology to others compared to JVC who whored out VHS to every VCR maker in the world!
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

milnoc

H3B
"Whored out" is an understatement to say the least! JVC even figured out how to make a compact version of a VHS tape that would still work in standard players. What we got was the legendary JVC GR-C1.

--

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
Mrs. Weather and I got a JVC VHS-C camcorder as a wedding gift many years ago.

It came with the powered VHS adapter "case" that you popped the VHS-C cassette into so you could play back what you recorded on a standard VHS VCR.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to ZZZZZZZ
This is the player that I own.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQr9VtMYQqA

I also have Star Wars: The Phantom Mennace on a LaserDisc. But this YouTube upload does not do it justice.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Mrs. Weather and I got a JVC VHS-C camcorder as a wedding gift many years ago.
It came with the powered VHS adapter "case" that you popped the VHS-C cassette into so you could play back what you recorded on a standard VHS VCR.

Yup. My first camcorder when I was a kid was a VHS-C.