spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hrpart

@advantas.net

Video erratic and browsing speeds slowing down

I live in a rural area of New Mexico and am provided wireless service by a local provider, Advantas Internet Service. Their ISP (located in Colorado) is Fasttrack Communications. I am paying for 3Meg download service. Using speedtest.net, my incoming DL speed varies from anywhere between 1.5 and 3.5 M depending on the test server used in the test.

My browsing speeds and video operations (youtube and netflix) have been very erratic and slow lately (particularly in the evenings) and I suspect it may be the ISP's DNS servers. Using Namebench, it shows that the ISP's DNS servers are quite slow compared to some of the public ones.

I'm wondering if I can go into my Windows 7 control panel and change to a public and faster DNS server without screwing up my wireless service. Any comments or suggestions.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1

You can but it shouldn't have any effect on streaming video.

RIHS

join:2012-11-11
Aztec, NM
reply to hrpart

Slow DNS servers can cause slow browsing but if they don't affect the speed of video streaming, is it the wireless speed of my connection all that is at fault?

My wireless provider has added a few new people to the system but he told me it would have no impact on the 3Mbps speeds I contracted for. Is this true with wireless?

I just switched to wireless from a very "crappy" DSL service provided by Century Link. So I know very little of what to expect from wireless service. I receive this service via a small dish antenna with a RF receiver on my roof. Clear line of sight to the transmitting tower which is about 2 miles away.

RIHS

Aztec, NM
reply to hrpart

Note: My original post was an anon name. I have since joined and my log in name is RIHS.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
reply to hrpart

If you are using a POE device with your WISP, unplug it wait about a minute, and plug it back in. If you are using a router as well, reboot it.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

RIHS

Aztec, NM
reply to hrpart

Thanks for the advice but I've tried (several times) with reboots on my POE and my router but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I guess my question is "When my service provider adds more subscribers to his wireless service, does that bog the network down or reduce the advertised speed to users". He says it doesn't but I'm not sure I accept that as fact. I believe I've heard that on cable internet and sat internet, and probably DSL too, the more people using it the slower it gets.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

yes, The more people who share that signal, the slower it will get. It is the same with all broadband connections.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to hrpart

You've already posted that you are receiving the speeds advertised so the remaining questions about the network bogging down or speeds to users is really irrelevant.

RIHS

Aztec, NM
reply to hrpart

OK. Thanks for all of the responses.