Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Satch

join:2009-11-25
reply to Bluphan

Re: [TWC] Time Warner Navigator

said by Bluphan :

In my recording options, I scheduled a new series that begins next week. When I then check all my scheduled recordings for next week, it shows a symbol I've never seen to the left of the new series. It looks like a circle with a + inside it. None of the other series have any such symbol. Does anyone know what that symbol represents? Thanks.

It sounds like a "Do Not Delete" Symbol. (This can be changed in settings.) Is this what you are seeing in the DVR List? Press LIST on Remote. Go to Scheduled Recordings. Do you see it there? Go to Series Manager, do you see it there?

Satch

Satch

Cold reboot tonight,

Box is slower than snails.

Jack

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

"Cold reboot tonight,"

What is the difference between a cold reboot and a hot one?

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bluphan

@rr.com
reply to Satch

said by Satch:

It sounds like a "Do Not Delete" Symbol. (This can be changed in settings.) Is this what you are seeing in the DVR List? Press LIST on Remote. Go to Scheduled Recordings. Do you see it there? Go to Series Manager, do you see it there?

Yes, that what it was. I had never seen that before. I changed it to "until space is needed." Thanks!

Satch

reply to hobgoblin

said by hobgoblin:

"Cold reboot tonight,"

What is the difference between a cold reboot and a hot one?

Hob

Sup Hobs?

I wish my reboots were hot, but unfortunately all I know are cold (and frustrating) ones. UGGHHHH!

On the serious side though, I heard from a customer who had a truck role. The tech said that ODN 6.0 is supposed to fix a lot of these slowdown problems. He said it is gonna hit very soon. He also said that some areas have it now, but I have not heard any mainstream areas that have it yet.

Satch

Crapigator

@rr.com
reply to Bluphan

said by Bluphan :

said by Satch:

Yes, that what it was. I had never seen that before. I changed it to "until space is needed." Thanks!

Don't worry, Navigator has the knack for deleting things on its own anyway. It will probably do it more now that you flagged it as "Until Space Is Needed" because the DVR can't accurately keep track of used space.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

"Don't worry, Navigator has the knack for deleting things on its own anyway. It will probably do it more now that you flagged it as "Until Space Is Needed" because the DVR can't accurately keep track of used space. "

Interesting, I have never had ANY of the multitude of DVR's that I have had delete anything. I really wish you would get a new hobby that didn't involve spreading misinformation in here.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Crapigator

@rr.com

said by hobgoblin:

"Don't worry, Navigator has the knack for deleting things on its own anyway. It will probably do it more now that you flagged it as "Until Space Is Needed" because the DVR can't accurately keep track of used space. "

Interesting, I have never had ANY of the multitude of DVR's that I have had delete anything. I really wish you would get a new hobby that didn't involve spreading misinformation in here.

Hob

Accurate reporting of known issues in not misinformation. Some people are lucky enough to not have them or fail to realize they actually do have them. Navigator reporting space incorrectly is a widely known issue. Many at AVS are reporting randomly erased shows as well. It stands to reason that if the DVR cannot accurately track used space and thinks it's full when it is in fact not, then by flagging shows "Delete When Space Needed" stands a good chance of wiping recordings. Problem here is the fanboys don't want to hear the facts.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

Problem here is the fanboys don't want to hear the facts."

As many people know, I worked for Adelphia and now Time Warner and have been a member of this site for close to 11 years.
I have helped countless people and I on every occasion rely on facts.
I have never been fond of anonymous posters with names like Slime Warner and Crapigator who just repost stuff they found somewhere else and say its fact.

DVR's on occasions will delete content or lose content, they sometimes will fail to record stuff. In almost every case this is related to hardware not software.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Crapigator

@rr.com

said by hobgoblin:

As many people know, I worked for Adelphia and now Time Warner and have been a member of this site for close to 11 years.
I have never been fond of anonymous posters with names like Slime Warner and Crapigator who just repost stuff they found somewhere else and say its fact.

DVR's on occasions will delete content or lose content, they sometimes will fail to record stuff. In almost every case this is related to hardware not software.

Hob

Ok, keep believing that. Explain how the SAME set tops ran fine with SARA or Passport, rarely missing or erasing anything, but somehow now are complete failures with Navigator loaded on them? I'm not bashing your help, but people need to know whats really going on. One of the biggest issues is the people working for Time Warner just flat out refusing to hold it accountable or admit it's bad. That's why I feel we are stuck with it. Navigator's "sometimes" is frequently. Maybe your division is better than Syracuse, but over here it rots. If Time Warner fixes it and it becomes a useful GUI, I'll tell people. As it stands, they need to be warned.

Satch

3 edits

said by Crapigator :

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

Ok, keep believing that. Explain how the SAME set tops ran fine with SARA or Passport, rarely missing or erasing anything, but somehow now are complete failures with Navigator loaded on them? I'm not bashing your help, but people need to know whats really going on. One of the biggest issues is the people working for Time Warner just flat out refusing to hold it accountable or admit it's bad. That's why I feel we are stuck with it. Navigator's "sometimes" is frequently. Maybe your division is better than Syracuse, but over here it rots. If Time Warner fixes it and it becomes a useful GUI, I'll tell people. As it stands, they need to be warned.

All respect to Hobs for his help and support. But I have to agree with "Crapigator" that Navigator is the Achilles Heal of TWC services. It's just tolerable here in Wisconsin and Syracuse it has been a nightmare in that area and at least three other neighboring cities/divisions that use the same node. The Syracuse New York division with Navigator is DESPICABLE! They can't even do a theme based-line up for their customers in that region and the management could care less. Missed recordings, pixiations, constant reboots, apathetic personal in Syracuse. My friend is Syracuse is likely going to be switching provides, soley because Navigator there is a POS!

The only thing he's keeping is Internet, but things weren't even reliable with that until he started using his own equipment. TWC gave him a POS U-Bee Modem among other things. And he's got Signature Home with the supposed "White Glove Techs." LOL! The originally installer was really cool and did a good job! But the chats, CSR's, everything is the same mediocre experience that he had before Signature Home. The only improvement that he noticed, was a much shorter hold time on the phone. He's paying $200 plus fees and taxes, for mediocre crap.

Other divisions may be much better. But Syracuse SUCKS! And this guy's no schmuck. He's been in the tech business for twenty years, does home theater installs, computer repairs, even makes a living going out and fixing TWC screw ups. You can read about his Signature Home Experiences Here:

»www.avsforum.com/t/1337568/time-···20490674

Crapigator, shoot me a PM if you wanna talk further.

Oh yea, my friend in Syracuse once upon a time had the SARA software for five years. Butt ugly to look at! But take a guess at home many recordings it missed during that time?

ONE!!!!!!

Satch

Satch

We got a Navigator patch update last night in Wisconsin,

Customer reported that his DVR space shrunk with this patch. (DVR went from like 60% to 30%.) So maybe this patch fixed that. I wonder if it also fixed the 30 day or so slow down, where the only option to fix is a cold reboot of the box?

Same version though ODN 5.2.09.

Satch

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 edit
reply to Satch

Really Satch,

Why do you accept this trash??

When it was SARA you could do the exact same things you can do now AND IT WAS EASIER and the box was MUCH FASTER!!!

If you people would take a stand and start returning this garbage to TWC,maybe they would bring Sara back...... (Or do something to make it better)

You people just accepting this garbage w/o trying to get something better ISNT HELPING... I HAVENT WATCHED ANY CABLE TV SINCE SHORTLY AFTER THEY PUT THIS GARBAGE ON THE BOXs. Its slow,ugly and i dont care to deal with it!!

I WOULD GLADLY PAY ANYTHING (Within reason) TO HAVE SARA PUT BACK ON MY IRD!! -- SARA WAS THE BEST PLATFORM I EVER HAD..

All this was was a $$$$$$ issue -- THEY GOT A DEAL WITH NAVIGATOR and instead of raising the prices to compensate,THEY DID THIS and its sad more ppl didnt stand up and tell these idiots where to stick it)

TIME WARNER SUCKS... The best thing about TWC is the internet... EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS BEYOND BELIEF!!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 edit

said by Dude111:

If you people would take a stand and start returning this garbage to TWC,maybe they would bring Sara back...... (Or do something to make it better)

You people just accepting this garbage w/o trying to get something better ISNT HELPING... I HAVENT WATCHED ANY CABLE TV SINCE SHORTLY AFTER THEY PUT THIS GARBAGE ON THE BOXs. It slow,ugly and i dont care to deal with it!!

I WOULD GLADLY PAY ANYTHING (Within reason) TO HAVE SARA PUT BACK ON MY IRD!!

So Dude111 have you returned your box?

Oh wait you haven't.... you have a box that's paid for every month that you don't use. TWC loves you. You're doing the opposite of what you are telling other people to do. You are encouraging TWC by paying for a box with Navigator and not calling with problems about it or turning it in due to problems. You're just taking it.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to Satch

Same thing happened here. When I got up for work this morning at 3:45, the bedroom DVR was in the process of either downloading the update or rebooting after the update. When I left for work at 4:30 the living room DVR was getting updated and it didnt come online until 5:20 according to the diags.
--
12/7/41, 9/11/01, 11/6/12

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to DrDrew

I try to avoid contact with them as i am NOT HAPPY with the crap service they give people and end up yelling @ them (Which doesnt help the matter)

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

said by Dude111:

I try to avoid contact with them as i am NOT HAPPY with the crap service they give people and end up yelling @ them (Which doesnt help the matter)

So you'd rather pay TWC for a box and service you won't use rather then turn it in and tell them you're not happy? You're paying to be unhappy. Makes alot of sense...
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Satch

Syracuse New York, the division with tons of Navigator problems got a TWO HOUR software update download last night. I hope this helps them out!

Satch

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms
reply to Satch

said by Satch:

On the serious side though, I heard from a customer who had a truck role. The tech said that ODN 6.0 is supposed to fix a lot of these slowdown problems. He said it is gonna hit very soon. He also said that some areas have it now, but I have not heard any mainstream areas that have it yet.

Satch

I'll start by saying I'm in the TWC Raleigh/Durham market, but we have some of the same issues your market has been having... most annoyingly, boxes hang and miss recordings. They usually slow down before this happens. It seems like stability got worse after the update that brought the new color scheme.

My 8640HDC just hung again and I checked the diagnostics after rebooting. Under the Application Information screen, TWC_ODN_6_0_0_19 has shown up but is not loaded. We're still running on 5_2_0_9. However, seeing signs of the new version is encouraging.

Satch

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by jimk:

said by Satch:

Satch

I'll start by saying I'm in the TWC Raleigh/Durham market, but we have some of the same issues your market has been having... most annoyingly, boxes hang and miss recordings. They usually slow down before this happens. It seems like stability got worse after the update that brought the new color scheme.

My 8640HDC just hung again and I checked the diagnostics after rebooting. Under the Application Information screen, TWC_ODN_6_0_0_19 has shown up but is not loaded. We're still running on 5_2_0_9. However, seeing signs of the new version is encouraging.

There was a patch update in many divisions that was released a few days to a week ago. It is going around on the boxes, and AFAIK it is supposed to improve the 30-40 days slow response time that occurs in patterns, where all you can do is reboot the box. This patch is supposed to fix this. It also is supposed to correctly calculate the percent of DVR space used, which was showing up incorrectly on some boxes.

There could be some under the hood preparations for ODN 6.0. I'm am told that ODN 6.0 allows users to filter the Time Grid by Subscribed Channels and will be a major preparation for Cloud-Based networking features. The first to launch will be an Advanced Search filtering system in addition to a new expanded VOD menu.

Satch

ddeerrff

join:2002-08-30
Brookfield, WI

said by Satch:

"I'm am told that ODN 6.0 allows users to filter the Time Grid by Subscribed Channels and will be a major preparation for Cloud-Based networking features."

Really looking forward to that - NOT! Right now, any time my box has to go 'outside' to look for data, it can hang for as long as 60 seconds. Can't imagine how responsive it will be if it has to look outside for all the data.

Satch

said by ddeerrff:

said by Satch:

"I'm am told that ODN 6.0 allows users to filter the Time Grid by Subscribed Channels and will be a major preparation for Cloud-Based networking features."

Really looking forward to that - NOT! Right now, any time my box has to go 'outside' to look for data, it can hang for as long as 60 seconds. Can't imagine how responsive it will be if it has to look outside for all the data.

I share those same concerns. What the cloud will do is still being developed and tested with the different boxes. It's a solid issue. You free up the boxes' RAM by gradually moving services to the cloud, BUT at what cost, concerning the amount of time delay between button presses and the information coming down from the server to the box?

The last patch update is supposed to fix the percent of used DVR space bug as well as fix the 30-40 day slowdown bug. There might be under the hood preps for ODN 6.0 with this patch.

Ddeerff, what make and model box do you have?

Satch

ddeerrff

join:2002-08-30
Brookfield, WI

Samsung non-DVR. Probably single tuner.

Satch

said by ddeerrff:

Samsung non-DVR. Probably single tuner.

Yup,

Non-DVR is single tuner. Try to swap it for a Cisco. They are much faster.

Satch

PS. I heard the Cisco 4642HDC and 4742HDC are very fast.