IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[TiVo] TiVo is 97 percent full

I have a TiVo premiere base model that is 97 percent full. Don't want to delete programs but I am wondering if the newer Comcast DVRs have more capacity. I may consider upgrading the TiVo as well if finances allow. I have one Comcast DVR in my bedroom and the TiVo is in the living room.

If I were to get a CC DVR, would I have to pay the DVR fee twice. Or is whole house DVR worth the hype. I also have a Moto DCT 700 in the basement as well.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by IowaCowboy:

I have a TiVo premiere base model that is 97 percent full. Don't want to delete programs but I am wondering if the newer Comcast DVRs have more capacity. I may consider upgrading the TiVo as well if finances allow. I have one Comcast DVR in my bedroom and the TiVo is in the living room.

If I were to get a CC DVR, would I have to pay the DVR fee twice. Or is whole house DVR worth the hype. I also have a Moto DCT 700 in the basement as well.

You have to pay the DVR fee for each Comcast DVR that you have. The AnyRoom DVR (whole house DVR) has advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that it has a 500 GB hard drive and the disadvantage is that it only allows two shows to be recorded at the same time. If you rent two DVRs than you can record four shows at the same time (two on each DVR). This may not matter to you since you have a TiVo. Comcast has DVRs with different size hard drives so you should ask for the one with the biggest hard drive. Some areas allow you to rent a DVR with 500GB hard drive without requiring AnyRoom DVR functionality.

Another option is to add an external hard drive. The SA/Cisco STB areas have allowed this for many years and the Motorola STB areas are just introducing this feature with the A30 Guide.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
There is a couple of ways to add more storage to the premiere. The best way is to increase the hard drive size. I believe you can put in a 2TB hard drive in the premiere. Download Kmttg and download your programs to your pc. The down side of this you can only download non protected programs.
You can get a 1TB extender and use it. The down side of this If one of the hard drives fails you will lose all programming.
Go to this web site and do search and they can tell you the size brand and how to set the HD up

»www.tivocommunity.com/home/?

ncherry
Premium Member
join:2003-07-13
Monroe Township, NJ

ncherry to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I was thinking about taking Tivo up on it's offer to get the latest and greatest box but decided that all I really need was a bit more space (I don't watch much TV, my wife does). So for half the price of their cheapest box I bought an ESATA drive and cable that should give me some obscenely ridiculous number of recording hours. Check into it.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
Look into the 1tb WesternDigital eSATA external drive.

»www.amazon.com/Western-D ··· rd+drive

I put one on my premiereXL ind it works seamlessly.
ComcastTech
join:2008-05-31

ComcastTech to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
record less

ncherry
Premium Member
join:2003-07-13
Monroe Township, NJ

ncherry

Premium Member

You remind me of that guy on the DVR full commercial. Nobody likes him.