RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House

Gas leaking

Today I went and filled up the pt cruiser. I paid for $40 but it started clicking off at about $38.00. I get the last few dollars in there slowly, nothing that I haven't done before. I get home and park in the garage.

Maybe two hours later I'm smelling gas in the house. I go in the garage and I'm like wtf? I see under the car on the passenger side where it has dripped out on the garage floor. The fumes are in the house, im airing it out with fans and the car is outside.

Will filling up like this cause it to spill out somewhere? It never spit back out when filling. I've never had this happen before.

Also, I did have a fuel sending unit replaced on the car recently about a week ago if that may matter.
--
| map your city |

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by pcdebb:

Also, I did have a fuel sending unit replaced on the car recently about a week ago if that may matter.

That likely matters.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

reply to pcdebb
The sending unit, and fuel pump are generally the same part. Perhaps the unit didn't get installed properly for a tight seal.

Take it back to the mechanic for diagnosis.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
reply to pcdebb
Something didn't get sealed correctly. Bring it back the same shop / mechanic that did the work. You might consider having it towed. Gas fumes and sparks don't mix well.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to pcdebb
yea i'm gonna call them first thing. the fumes are in the house and it's driving me nuts. I have the windows and the back door open with fans on full blast.

One thing I might also mention, I fill up daily. I'm a medical courier so I do alot of driving. I normally get my fill up (of gas and coffee) as I'm heading out, so if i ever had a leak before I'd never know it because i'm burning it off immediately. Never did I smell any gas inside the car.

I will be calling my service advisor first thing in the morning about this in any case. that's all i need is to have a drip going and somebody flick their cigarette out the window
--
| map your city |

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
A cigarette is the least of the worries, you could burn down the house with a leak.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to pcdebb
i've checked every half hour for any more drip and nothing has happened. no gas smell either. but I know how I am, i'm still calling my advisor. i'm sure if they do anything they want the tank empty. at the same time, ive learned a lesson about topping off
--
| map your city |

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Well, it could've been just thermal expansion on a fully filled tank.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to pcdebb
My first car had a hole in the tank just above the halfway point. as long as I didn't go above that point, no gas leaked. I'd only fill it up, if I was going on a long trip.
But then again, I only paid 150 bucks for the car.

As others have said, you should take it back to the repair place that did the repair work on your tank. It may not be seated properly or what ever.

I had some work done on a newer vehicle, and the code light went off when I got home. Went back to the repair shop, and upon investigating, found out the tech had forgotten to rehook a vacuum hose. Or so that was their story.

No charge on the repairs and everything was fine after that. People make mistakes, might as well see if one was made with your car.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to pcdebb
Are you sure it wasn't leaking out of the gas cap? Neighbor had a BMW that would leak if he overfilled it.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to pcdebb
Given the pump 'clicked off' and you continued to pump another $2 worth, my bet is you filled it well up into the filler neck and any combination of normal operating scenarios could cause fuel spillage as you have indicated. Over-filling past the point the pump has cut off is generally a bad thing. Generally I only ever do so if it is another 15c or so to an even number (mild OCD here ). Not only does it have the possibility of overflowing and wasting your money, but it can ruin the evap system of the vehicle and cause issues there. This Optima I have had to fill up once when it was nearing $4 a gallon around here and could barely get an extra 30 cents worth before fuel started spilling out on the ground under the car.

At the amount of fuel you had before filling up, does it normally take around $38 to top off the tank?

My personal armchair view: Keep airing out, run the car around a bit to burn off a little extra fuel, go on business as usual if no more leaks or smell. Next fillup, stop when the pump clicks off (this is why I never pre-pay unless I know for 100% certain I am not intending to fill up and just get in a 1/4 or 1/2 tank), see what happens.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Are you sure it wasn't leaking out of the gas cap? Neighbor had a BMW that would leak if he overfilled it.

i'm quite sure. it was clearly from under the car
--
| map your city |

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Vchat20
said by Vchat20:

At the amount of fuel you had before filling up, does it normally take around $38 to top off the tank?

give or take. I was almost to the red area on the gauge but just before I could allow the fuel light to come on
--
| map your city |

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to pcdebb
If they just changed the sensor they had to remove the fuel pump too....which SHOULD be under a plate at the top of the tank.....

Either IT didn't seal or someone flubbed up hooking up a line on re-assembly.

Which means it will leak when full and in turns when mostly full.

Make them fix it.
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to pcdebb
The problem with stopping at the click is the pump could be bad or many other factors. My truck would click off and I could still get in another 5 gallons, yes gallons not $ and still wouldn't fill the filler tube.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
This is a 'few and far between' case in my experience. And if you are aware of your own car and know it is THAT far off, then go ahead and put in more at your leisure. Most cases of the pump clicking off way ahead of a full tank usually ends up being pressure in the tank triggering it. Relieve it a bit and continue again until it clicks off.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

reply to pcdebb
I always go for click off and round off then stop. But I can also look at the gas gauge and guesstimate how many gallons it will hold and watch the pump and know when it is about to click off. So if I think it was early then I will go for another.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
With a credit card, I fill until it clicks off.

theboz1419

join:2003-02-12
Elgin, IL
reply to VegasMan
I had Toyota Echo that was like that. It would start to click at half a tank. The problem is with the filer tube. Cant remeber the exact reason. Its either not letting the air escape or the anti-siphon valve.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by theboz1419:

I had Toyota Echo that was like that. It would start to click at half a tank. The problem is with the filer tube. Cant remeber the exact reason. Its either not letting the air escape or the anti-siphon valve.

that was my original problem, I was spitting gas out and the needle was only registering 1/2 or 3/4, so they replaced the fuel sender thing.
--
| map your city |

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

Today I went and filled up the pt cruiser. I paid for $40 but it started clicking off at about $38.00. I get the last few dollars in there slowly, nothing that I haven't done before. I get home and park in the garage.

Maybe two hours later I'm smelling gas in the house. I go in the garage and I'm like wtf? I see under the car on the passenger side where it has dripped out on the garage floor. The fumes are in the house, im airing it out with fans and the car is outside.

Will filling up like this cause it to spill out somewhere? It never spit back out when filling. I've never had this happen before.

Do not try and warranty it since you caused it to fail by forcing gas into the tank.
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

2 recommendations

It doesn't work that way.

Leaving aside the question of whether it is a good idea to try and fill once the pump clicks off, no amount of pump action at the gas station should be able to cause a fuel tank to leak.

Debb is more than justified in taking it back to see what they did wrong.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by pcdebb:

Also, I did have a fuel sending unit replaced on the car recently

Do not try and warranty it since you caused it to fail by forcing gas into the tank.

100% impossible for any damage to occur to the sending unit by filling or even over-filling the gas tank. You obviously do not know how the gas tank works or how a sending unit works.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
said by Doctor Olds:

100% impossible for any damage to occur

assuming the tank is in good repair
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by AVD:

said by Doctor Olds:

Even if the tank is broken at the seams, leaking and has a big dent in the bottom, adding any amount of gasoline will not damage the fuel sending unit ever.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Doctor Olds:

said by AVD:

said by Doctor Olds:

Even if the tank is broken at the seams, leaking and has a big dent in the bottom, adding any amount of gasoline will not damage the fuel sending unit ever.

Agree completely.
The sending unit is designed to work in fuel, so adding additional fuel is not putting it in any danger of damage.