Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb

Re: Gas leaking

said by pcdebb:

Today I went and filled up the pt cruiser. I paid for $40 but it started clicking off at about $38.00. I get the last few dollars in there slowly, nothing that I haven't done before. I get home and park in the garage.

Maybe two hours later I'm smelling gas in the house. I go in the garage and I'm like wtf? I see under the car on the passenger side where it has dripped out on the garage floor. The fumes are in the house, im airing it out with fans and the car is outside.

Will filling up like this cause it to spill out somewhere? It never spit back out when filling. I've never had this happen before.

Also, I did have a fuel sending unit replaced on the car recently about a week ago if that may matter.

Do not try and warranty it since you caused it to fail by forcing gas into the tank.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

2 recommendations

Cho Baka

MVM

It doesn't work that way.

Leaving aside the question of whether it is a good idea to try and fill once the pump clicks off, no amount of pump action at the gas station should be able to cause a fuel tank to leak.

Debb is more than justified in taking it back to see what they did wrong.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by pcdebb:

Will filling up like this cause it to spill out somewhere? It never spit back out when filling. I've never had this happen before.

Also, I did have a fuel sending unit replaced on the car recently

Do not try and warranty it since you caused it to fail by forcing gas into the tank.

100% impossible for any damage to occur to the sending unit by filling or even over-filling the gas tank. You obviously do not know how the gas tank works or how a sending unit works.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Doctor Olds:

100% impossible for any damage to occur

assuming the tank is in good repair

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by AVD:

said by Doctor Olds:

Even if the tank is broken at the seams, leaking and has a big dent in the bottom, adding any amount of gasoline will not damage the fuel sending unit ever.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

said by Doctor Olds:

said by AVD:

said by Doctor Olds:

Even if the tank is broken at the seams, leaking and has a big dent in the bottom, adding any amount of gasoline will not damage the fuel sending unit ever.

Agree completely.
The sending unit is designed to work in fuel, so adding additional fuel is not putting it in any danger of damage.