uniqs
share rss forum feed

schag001

join:2005-06-20
Coquitlam, BC

Sleazy Cars Salesmen?

Hello everyone,

got a question.
Went to a dealer (Kia Richmond) on Saturday.
Decided to buy a used Kia Rondo.

Got them to agree to my price. Car was still dirty and such, so I put a deposit down (have the paperwork).
Today I get a call from the salesmen informing me, that the car was "apparently" sold on Thursday thru the Vancouver Kia Store.

I test drove it on Saturday and put the deposit down.
On the agreement it states "partial payment to purchase a specific vehicle, but where the sale is completed"
The emphasis is on "completed".

I do feel that the dealer might have gotten a better offer and is trying to back out of the deal.
Anybody ever seen this?
I am not looking for legal advise here, but wonder if somebody has suggestions on how to handle this.

Thanks
schag001

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

Yes, it happens all the time. Deposit != purchase. If they get a better offer, they can take it and refund your deposit or apply it elsewhere.

Good dealers don't usually do this, but it isn't unheard of.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

schag001

Coquitlam, BC

Thank you!
Appreciate the response.
I guess, best is next time to drive off the lot with the car....

I am just stunned.
I am in sales and something like this just blows my mind.

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
reply to schag001

You are in Canada, so I don't know if the same rules/law would apply.
If that happened here in the USA, you could find a similar or exact car, and if the price would be more than what you would have paid for the car that they sold(even though you had a deposit), you could get the difference back if you sued them in court(They breached the contract).
--
No Victim=No Crime

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to schag001

Sleazy Cars Salesmen?

Isn't that the definition?

Maybe the only group with worse reps than ambulace/med chasing lawyers.
--

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

1 recommendation

reply to schag001

A freaking Kia Rondo? Holy mother of god, man. I think some higher being is trying to keep you from making a mistake.

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 edit
reply to schag001

You'd need a lawyer who knows the BC/Canadian regulations on this to tell you for sure, but I suspect you're right, that with the language they used in the agreement, since the sale was not completed, they're off the hook. It's very sleazy because you know that if the shoe were on the other foot and you'd found a better deal elsewhere, they would not be returning your deposit. You could use it as leverage to get a better deal on a better car out of them, but I wouldn't blame you in the least if you ran not walked somewhere else.

Consider filing complaints with consumer agencies and online, but be brief and factual. "They accepted my deposit to purchase a used car and then sold it out from under me. I will not return." is fine and will have more impact than a three-page rant in excruciating detail including the color of the salesman's tie and how you, your family, and everyone you know will never buy even a spark plug wire from this dealer again.

And yes, as suggested above, it could be karma. Maybe the car really was a piece of crap, and you will find something better somewhere else.

bmilone2

join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ
reply to schag001

Unfortunately people tell similar stories about certain dealers all the time. Maybe they did you a favor. Get your deposit back and tell them in a calm manner that their business practices will preclude you from ever doing business with them again and go off to find a more reputable dealer.

Now if you want to have a bit of fun, when you purchase another vehicle form a different dealer drive through the original dealers lot and wave at the salesperson as you go by.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by bmilone2:

Now if you want to have a bit of fun, when you purchase another vehicle form a different dealer drive through the original dealers lot and wave at the salesperson as you go by.

I did something similar once at an electronics store in NYC. I wanted to buy two small boom boxes, but the salesman outright refused to sell them to us! So we went to a competing store and bought the boom boxes. Then we went back to the first store, stood on the sidewalk, held up the boxes, and waved at the salesman through the window. He saw us.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

said by Bob4:

said by bmilone2:

I did something similar once at an electronics store in NYC. I wanted to buy two small boom boxes, but the salesman outright refused to sell them to us! So we went to a competing store and bought the boom boxes. Then we went back to the first store, stood on the sidewalk, held up the boxes, and waved at the salesman through the window. He saw us.

In those cases I also like sending email to their supervisor and company website thanking them for stopping me from making a mistake by doing business with them. Then I continue on thanking them for which competitor gave me better service than what they could do.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

schag001

Coquitlam, BC

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I have filed a consumer protections claim.
I informed the local TV station and they got back to me (still pending any further action)
I informed the local radio station (got an internal contact)

I will play a little game with them.
When I go to get my deposit back, i will have another family member go in first to ask if the car (which is still advertised on their website today) is available.
If they try and sell it to him I will come in and and play a little game....

Cheers
schag001

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

said by schag001:

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I have filed a consumer protections claim.
I informed the local TV station and they got back to me (still pending any further action)
I informed the local radio station (got an internal contact)

I will play a little game with them.
When I go to get my deposit back, i will have another family member go in first to ask if the car (which is still advertised on their website today) is available.
If they try and sell it to him I will come in and and play a little game....

Cheers
schag001

One word: Camera. If you get this on camera, it would be pretty cool. Also, if you get another car and drive through their lot, film it. Good job with the tv/internet stations.
--
No Victim=No Crime

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Hayward

said by Hayward:

Sleazy Cars Salesmen?

Department of redundancy department.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to schag001

»Dealer backed out - i have bill of sale - legal?