Jrb2
Premium
join:2001-08-31
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

Re: ESET makes again a mess of their definitions

Siljaline,

The issue has been resolved without any explanation from the part of ESET. It is good that it has been resolved. About no explanation from ESET, well let's say that is what to be expected from that company nowadays. They don't need to give all the "dirty details" (as someone put it in another case), but they could be honest with their customers; they simply are not, it is there for all to see. If you, Siljaline, don't see it, well fine ... ough ...

quote:
When I looked at the discission at Wilders while it was ongoing, those seemed to be stuck at downloading virus defs:
»www.virusradar.com/en/update_info/7679

This contained some new Module Updates, thus, it was a large v/defs file.

Your saved System information will show this.

Completely rubbish about new modules.
Perhaps you, Siljaline, don't keep track of them.
I do on my NOD32 4.2.71.2 home edition.
Prove me wrong.

quote:
My best guess is ESET Virus labs published the update as being available before the servers were populated, thus the panic.

Best guesses are not good enough.

quote:
ESET has an issue ticketing system when it is the weekend and | or ESET Staff are not available to reply immediately.

When several folks are having issues (as posted in detail at the ESET forum), support tickets are of no use. Their official support forum needs to be monitored, even during weekends. (I refrain now about the more general and long standing support issues on their official support forum). Those folks are warning ESET that there are issues. Ignoring those folks is not exactly good PR, to say the least. Damage control will not help very much here; not being honest neither.

hamlet

join:2001-05-23
Naval Air Station/ Jrb, TX
Unfortunately, it is getting harder all the time to find a security software company that does not suffer from the same or similar problems. I have been testing lots of av software lately and reading lots of forums and everyone of them seems to be full of people complaining about lack of action and lack of concern by the company. It makes the task of selecting good software more difficult as one must really work to investigate the seriousness of company problems as noted by internet posters.

I usually go under the assumption that no company really wants to alienate customers so any problems could be caused by lack of resources, lack of personnel, or lack of technical knowledge. Of course, that does little to help with the sense that one is being ignored or that problems are not being taken seriously.
Expand your moderator at work

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

reply to Jrb2

Re: ESET makes again a mess of their definitions

said by Jrb2:

Siljaline,

The issue has been resolved without any explanation from the part of ESET. It is good that it has been resolved. About no explanation from ESET, well let's say that is what to be expected from that company nowadays. They don't need to give all the "dirty details" (as someone put it in another case), but they could be honest with their customers; they simply are not, it is there for all to see. If you, Siljaline, don't see it, well fine ... ough ...

quote:
When I looked at the discission at Wilders while it was ongoing, those seemed to be stuck at downloading virus defs:
»www.virusradar.com/en/update_info/7679

This contained some new Module Updates, thus, it was a large v/defs file.

Your saved System information will show this.

Completely rubbish about new modules.
Perhaps you, Siljaline, don't keep track of them.
I do on my NOD32 4.2.71.2 home edition.
Prove me wrong.

quote:
My best guess is ESET Virus labs published the update as being available before the servers were populated, thus the panic.

Best guesses are not good enough.

quote:
ESET has an issue ticketing system when it is the weekend and | or ESET Staff are not available to reply immediately.

When several folks are having issues (as posted in detail at the ESET forum), support tickets are of no use. Their official support forum needs to be monitored, even during weekends. (I refrain now about the more general and long standing support issues on their official support forum). Those folks are warning ESET that there are issues. Ignoring those folks is not exactly good PR, to say the least. Damage control will not help very much here; not being honest neither.

Agree. I stopped going to their "official" support forum years ago. They are very quick to point the finger at you and blame issues and problems on you and don't offer a lot of help. Lots of unanswered threads there that go back years...ignoring it doesn't make it go away.
--
GuruGuy

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4

1 recommendation

said by GuruGuy:
Agree. I stopped going to their "official" support forum years ago. They are very quick to point the finger at you and blame issues and problems on you and don't offer a lot of help.

Many vendors maintain same lousy attitude, people praising their product are very welcome and will be provided with fast response, people exercising criticism and producing nasty questions will be ignored.
--
»bit.ly/gUqYaH - C. Brian Smith: Think of the exclamation point as a car horn: a little goes a long way. Lay on it too hard and everyone’s going to think you’re a moron.

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21
said by Smokey Bear:

said by GuruGuy:
Agree. I stopped going to their "official" support forum years ago. They are very quick to point the finger at you and blame issues and problems on you and don't offer a lot of help.

Many vendors maintain same lousy attitude, people praising their product are very welcome and will be provided with fast response, people exercising criticism and producing nasty questions will be ignored.

Smoke ain't that the truth!!
--
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêD
Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
9/11/01 Never Forget
(H59 Clan)

data

join:2006-07-08
The only problem was than an update of the same number was released twice. As a result, every user downloaded about 1,4 MB file instead of a few KB. Other than that, there was no problem in terms of protection or detection capabilities that happens when vendors mess updates.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub

1 recommendation

said by data:
The only problem was than an update of the same number was released twice. As a result, every user downloaded about 1,4 MB file instead of a few KB. Other than that, there was no problem in terms of protection or detection capabilities that happens when vendors mess updates.

According to OP he is disappointed about 'vendors lack of communication':

said by Jrb2:
The issue has been resolved without any explanation from the part of ESET. It is good that it has been resolved. About no explanation from ESET, well let's say that is what to be expected from that company nowadays.
--
»bit.ly/gUqYaH - C. Brian Smith: Think of the exclamation point as a car horn: a little goes a long way. Lay on it too hard and everyone’s going to think you’re a moron.

data

join:2006-07-08
It's normal that updates are large from time to time, it's not something really unusual that would require further communication. What's more, it was weekend and today was the first work day when a reply was posted in the forum as well.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub
said by data:
It's normal that updates are large from time to time, it's not something really unusual that would require further communication.
Your POV, other customers have different opinion.

quote:
What's more, it was weekend and today was the first work day when a reply was posted in the forum as well.

»www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdis···php?f=16

18 official ESET Home Users Products Forum moderators and none of them had forum weekend duty?
--
Expand your moderator at work