spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

900mhz panel to yagi

Does it make sense that while switching from a 10dbi panel to a 17dbi yagi has improved the signal I am having the radio dropping out due to interference from the back side I did not previously have?
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

OHSrob

Canopy, 802.11 or airmax ?
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

airmax

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 edit

John Galt6 to wirelessdog

Premium Member

to wirelessdog
Post a link to both panels antennas.
OHSrob

OHSrob to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
Ubiquiti has appears some sort of automatic gain control in the 900mhz gear that prevents it from being used for links longer then 2KM with any sort of interference reliably. It preforms much worse then canopy in any sort of noise.

One 1990's cordless telelphone will drop my signals on my 900mhz sector even the -58 I have to the high 80's when it kicks in even if its elsewhere in the band. Starts getting packet loss too.

You can take an old cordless telephone and talk on it directly next to a canopy SM it will not impact the receive signal. Only the jitter/noise and force it to a slower modulation.

Ubiquiti's 900mhz gear in my opinion is not practical for long link's. Its issues will hopefully be one day fixed with a software update.
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Its weird. It shows both clients associated but I cannot pass any data.
wirelessdog

wirelessdog

The longer link is just over 2km too. Does it help to decrease/force data rates. This was a rock solid canopy link I replaced for better throughput :-/
OHSrob

OHSrob to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
I take it the signal is fluctuating with the noise as well ?.

What channel width are you using ?

8mhz seems to be the sweet spot for me.

The link should automaticly adjust to the right datarate/modulation for the conditions its in.

Do you have more then one 900mhz access point on the tower it is connected to ?

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to wirelessdog

Premium Member

to wirelessdog
Yagis have a less-than-stellar F/B ratio, usually much less than panels of the same gain.
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

I dropped from 8mhz to 5mhz and it has been solid thus far. No, the signal has not dropped when the data stops. CCQ remains around 98% but the Airmax quality goes to shit.

I have a Canopy 900mhz tower about 3 miles further away from the sub. However, it is running on the top end where the UBNT is running on the bottom end of the band.
OHSrob

OHSrob to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
Let us know how this works out for you.

FYI with full rates 32 megabit rates in 5mhz your limited to about 20 megabit aggregate tcp throughput. You should notice its way faster then your old canopy gear.
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

Unfortunately this is a -75 to -77 client which is enough for rock solid Canopy so I'm only pushing around 5 megs with UBNT. No logged outages since making the change this morning.

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
said by John Galt6:

Yagis have a less-than-stellar F/B ratio, usually much less than panels of the same gain.

+1 Yagis have almost no F/B
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

I'm starting to have this sinking feeling that the loco 900's are garbage. We switched three loco's today over to rocket's same antennas and are seeing about a 20db increase in signal. Same jumper, same antennas.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

I hardly noticed a difference between a loco and a rocket when antennas are external. The internal one though. Crap.
OHSrob

OHSrob to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
This is good to know, I will buy some more rocket M9's for testing.
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

I ordered another rock to swap out a loco as well.