how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AndyD2k

join:2003-01-10
New York, NY

Thinking of getting my own cable tuner & router - questions

I want to cut down on my bill so I was thinking of getting rid of the three boxes I have now and use a tuner instead. My questions...

1) How would the set up work if I use my own router? Do I just connect the coax to the tuner (it will be a silicondust homerun) and connect the tuner to the network?

2) I will be able to use Wake on Wan since the Actiontec won't be used besides for cable?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

1) If your Actiontec WAN is currently provisioned over coax, you will need to get that changed to cat5 from the ONT.
Yes, simply connect your tuner to the coax.

2) That's up your router whether it forwards Wake on Wan packets. If you use your own router, you have no need for the Actiontec.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

AnnaS8

join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to AndyD2k

Keep in mind I think you also lose Pay per view and Video on demand if I am not mistaken.

AndyD2k

New York, NY
reply to AndyD2k

Ok cool. Anna, thanks for the heads up. I don't use those services so I'm ok with that

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to AndyD2k

said by AndyD2k:

I want to cut down on my bill so I was thinking of getting rid of the three boxes I have now and use a tuner instead.

Just curious. How will one SDHR replace 3 boxes? Will it support multiple simultaneous streams?

AndyD2k

New York, NY
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

1) If your Actiontec WAN is currently provisioned over coax, you will need to get that changed to cat5 from the ONT.
Yes, simply connect your tuner to the coax.

2) That's up your router whether it forwards Wake on Wan packets. If you use your own router, you have no need for the Actiontec.

I really don't need the Actiontec at all in my network then?

Also what about moca adapters? If I switch to ethernet, will I still be able to use a moca adapter? I have one that I use in one of my bedrooms but I can switch to wireless if necessary

AndyD2k

New York, NY
reply to birdfeedr

said by birdfeedr:

said by AndyD2k:

I want to cut down on my bill so I was thinking of getting rid of the three boxes I have now and use a tuner instead.

Just curious. How will one SDHR replace 3 boxes? Will it support multiple simultaneous streams?

I'm still working through the set up but from what I understand you can use InfiniTV and Windows Media Center to share tuners over the network

For example...

»hd.engadget.com/2011/05/09/shari···rd-away/

Cogdis

join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY

Yes the HDHR Prime can stream to multiple PC's simultaneously out of the box. The InfiniTV can do it as well if the host PC is powered on and configured correctly (It must also be running windows 7 as tuner sharing is not yet compatible with windows 8).

I would suggest using a wired gigabit network so that your streams don't affect speeds for the rest of your network. An HD channel can use 20 Mbps (a drop in the bucket when you have 1000, but if you're streaming multiple HD channels on a 100 Mbps network you may not have much bandwidth left for other uses).

If you're getting rid of your Verizon boxes you don't need the actiontec to provide guide data anymore so it can be replaced with any router you choose. If you still want to use your moca adapter I would suggest setting up the actiontec router in bridge mode (see the FAQ at the top of the Fios forum).

billdacat26

@lmco.com

I have a SD-HDHR3 Tuner on my home network...I love it. $3.99 for cable card rental. I also run a Hauppaug 2250 tuner for OTA; this gives me five streams of HD TV. (+1) if you watch a previously recorded program.

Now the bad news;...(it's really not so bad). All my machines now have SSD's for the OS, and the network is on a gigibit switch. I still have the router between my LAN and WAN. The SSD's improved stability in the whole system beyond exptectations; reboots are now once a month as needed for upgrades.

ENJOY....

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to AndyD2k

said by AndyD2k:

I really don't need the Actiontec at all in my network then?

Also what about moca adapters? If I switch to ethernet, will I still be able to use a moca adapter? I have one that I use in one of my bedrooms but I can switch to wireless if necessary

If you're using a MOCA adapter, you will need either:
•Another MOCA adapter to get from your router onto the MOCA LAN, or,
•Keep the Actiontec as a MOCA bridge behind your router.

The switch from MOCA WAN to cat5 affects only the WAN connection from the ONT to your router. Your MOCA LAN connection is separate.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

AndyD2k

New York, NY
reply to AndyD2k

I think I'll just sell the moca adapter nistead of trying to incorporate

AndyD2k

New York, NY
reply to billdacat26

said by billdacat26 :

I have a SD-HDHR3 Tuner on my home network...I love it. $3.99 for cable card rental. I also run a Hauppaug 2250 tuner for OTA; this gives me five streams of HD TV. (+1) if you watch a previously recorded program.

Now the bad news;...(it's really not so bad). All my machines now have SSD's for the OS, and the network is on a gigibit switch. I still have the router between my LAN and WAN. The SSD's improved stability in the whole system beyond exptectations; reboots are now once a month as needed for upgrades.

ENJOY....

Why bad news? Doesn't sound like there is anything bad?

AndyD2k

New York, NY
reply to Cogdis

said by Cogdis:

Yes the HDHR Prime can stream to multiple PC's simultaneously out of the box. The InfiniTV can do it as well if the host PC is powered on and configured correctly (It must also be running windows 7 as tuner sharing is not yet compatible with windows 8).

The HDHR Prime doesn't have the same issue as the InfiniTV with Windows 8 right? Or does it?

I'm thinking of upgrading my WHS 2011 NAS to Windows 8 as I think the start screen will be a good launcher on a big screen

Cogdis

join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY

The HDHR is good to go with windows 8.

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX

I've looked at using windows media center 8, but am unsure that I'd be able to live with the user interface for TV.. It just doesn't feel like a normal DVR or TIVO.

What are other folks opinions? Did you acclimate to it quickly? Do you like it more?

billdacat26

@lmco.com

The HTPC (W7) has my "Wife's seal of approval". Before installing SSD's, the HTPC user interface (WMC) was a little slow and clunky; maybe it was bloat-ware.

My main HTPC is a quad core AMD w/8GB; my secondary machines are Pentinums e5800's; all have 1TB HD's and 128GB SSD's. The WMC user interface is fast and responsive. Mixing OS and recording TV on an HD chews into user interface performance.