share rss forum feed

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

1 recommendation

Firefox is really great

Even though I'm a web developer, and I test my company's sites in Firefox every day, I've been in a rut where I've only been using Chrome for everything else for quite a while. Over the weekend I (again) had to reinstall Windows on the old box we have for that cause things were bogging down. After setting things up, I did some surfing using FF. Wow! What fun! I mean the thing has gotten blazingly fast!

So I went to my FreeBSD box which is a far more powerful machine and Pow!! Firefox knocked me for a loop! Oh how I missed it so. I spent the whole weekend using just FF and it was pure joy.

And that's all I have to say about that.

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21
I Totally Agree!! Its a Joy to surf with

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:5
said by hayc59:

I Totally Agree!! Its a Joy to surf with

And there's a free toy in each package!

Kidding! I like it a lot.
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to howardfine
I've been using konqueror lately.

Well, actually, I mostly use firefox. But konqueror is well integrated with akregator, so I have been using konqueror in association with the feeds (mostly blogs) that follow with akregator.

People keep telling me that firefox is fast. I have never noticed that. However, konqueror is blazingly slow. It takes forever to load some pages.

So I guess firefox really is fast.

I also have opera and chromium installed, and I occasionally try them. You are right - firefox is the best by far.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 16.0.2

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to howardfine
Love my Firefox!

Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2
reply to howardfine
I can't agree more. Firefox puts all other browsers to shame.

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to howardfine
I'm basically using Internet Explorer 10 because it came included with Windows 8. Besides why would I want two separate web browsers on my computer when all I need is just one to surf the web with. Internet Explorer 10 is just as good as any old Firefox.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
reply to howardfine
Yes. Yes it is.

Tim

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

Internet Explorer 10 is just as good as any old Firefox.

Because, technically, IE10 is the worst browser on the planet and all versions of IE have always been the worst. Unfortunately users don't notice this because developers find and write workarounds for the missing properties any other browser has but is lacking in IE.

There are far too many problems with IE10 to list here. One of the many places to run a test is here which tests each browser for the presence of current, standard, modern properties: »html5test.com/compare/browser/ie ··· f16.html

Another indication of how good a browser is, technical publications frequently list their browser visitor's statistics. ArsTechnica is popular among techies and hobbiests alike and, there, IE usage is less than 15%. This is true of any web developer forum.

So the people who know best how the web and web browsers work don't use IE. You should take that into consideration.

IE10 is a horrible browser. Do not use it.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to howardfine
As good as Fx is, Pale Moon is better.
Expand your moderator at work

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to Anon

Re: Firefox is really great

quote:
I can't wait for Microsoft to release Internet Explorer v11. I'll download and install it the day it comes out.
What a pity you lead such a sheltered life.

FF rules. lol
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to Anon
Then you didn't bother to look at or understand what I linked to but I understand because it's filled with developer info a user wouldn't understand. However, the score shows IE10 is an inferior browser.

While I have always said browser choice nowadays is just personal preference, choosing IE is never one to make. It holds back the web by forcing developers to avoid or workaround modern technology available on any other browser.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
You should just ignore those IE pest. They are only here to stir the pot with pointless drivel.

Firefox is indeed great! It's the best in my opinion.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to howardfine

I've been using FF for a very long time. I just looked through my archives, and the oldest install I have is Firefox 1.01. I did use IE for awhile before that, and the old Netscape through version 4 or so.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to Anon
When I say the same thing about FF on the Microsoft board, the post gets deleted.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:4
reply to Anon
Welcome to the Mozilla forum, I'm sure you can find the door to take your trolling elsewhere.

It's all you've ever used, and you're biased. Try using another operating system, and realize you can't get IE on any other operating system, along with realize that just about every other browser out there is better than IE after you use them.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to Anon
said by floydb1982:

Internet Explorer has always been the best web browser ever in my opinion.

Can you explain better, as in tell us why you think IE is better? Just saying "IE has always been the best web browser...." doesn't really say anything.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Somebody had to be really obsessed with firefox hatred to come up with that web page.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 16.0.2

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

1 recommendation

He's referring to a page that hasn't been updated since 2007 and contains its own lies and myths. It's well known among web developers for that.

Here's a more truthful page that no one can deny: »people.mozilla.com/~prouget/ie9/

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

Somebody had to be really obsessed with firefox hatred to come up with that web page.

It's old and outdated. I chose one add on that was listed as a security risk (Greasemonkey) and it was from years ago, long since fixed with a patch.

Not currently reliable information IMO.

Anyway, still love Firefox!
--
The Alien in the White House

19,694 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2
reply to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

I'm basically using Internet Explorer 10 because it came included with Windows 8. Besides why would I want two separate web browsers on my computer when all I need is just one to surf the web with. Internet Explorer 10 is just as good as any old Firefox.

Why Firefox over IE?
Security, speed, extensions.

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable
reply to floydb1982
quote:
I'm basically using Internet Explorer 10 because it came included with Windows 8
Usually the answer I get when I ask users why they stick with IE. That and they do not have the time or patience to learn how to use something else or simply were unaware of other web browsers.

quote:
Besides why would I want two separate web browsers on my computer when all I need is just one to surf the web with.
Do you have third party programs installed for say media, burning, ripping, word processing, email? After all MS includes enough to get
things done on basic levels.

quote:
Internet Explorer 10 is just as good as any old Firefox.
Your opinion but how do you know if you stick with IE and explore nothing else or only use a different browser for a short period of time never learning just how powerful other browsers like Fx or Opera to name two can be?
--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

capdjq
Oh Did I Offend You
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to La Luna
Personally, IMO, I think Browsers are a personal preference. The majority of people don't really care about a Browser being "blazingly fast". So, your Browser of choice opens 1/2 sec faster, Big Deal.
Sometime its difficult to explain why one becomes "attached" to a Browser even though others may hate it.
I, personally, like FireFox because of my familiarity with it and the Add Ons which I am used to.
If I use Chrome and/or IE I feel uncomfortable. Everything, I'm familiar with is, in the wrong place. But, maybe, if I was using IE, on a consistent basis I would feel the same way.
--
Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
said by capdjq:

Personally, IMO, I think Browsers are a personal preference.

I've been preaching that for years.
quote:
The majority of people don't really care about a Browser being "blazingly fast". So, your Browser of choice opens 1/2 sec faster, Big Deal.
It's amazing how many people claim that's their sole purpose in using any one browser. I think it's cause they need something to say to look like they know something.

OverBurn

join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to howardfine
I love Firefox. I use the ESR version.