join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to dennismurphy

Re: OWC Mercury Electra 3G

I was going to get the OWC Electra, but Fry's had a smoking deal on the Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD. Between that, and 16GB's of RAM my Mac Mini just flys through everything I throw at it! I now wonder if I stick a regular HD back in as well Mountain Lion will treat it like a fusion drive?
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by not quite right:

I was going to get the OWC Electra, but Fry's had a smoking deal on the Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD. Between that, and 16GB's of RAM my Mac Mini just flys through everything I throw at it! I now wonder if I stick a regular HD back in as well Mountain Lion will treat it like a fusion drive?

There is some voodoo you can do to make a Fusion drive, but I think I'm going to go the traditional route (2 separate disks)....managing it isn't a concern for me.

I'm a huge fan of OWC and even if it's a few dollars more, I'd rather support them. Where else will you find an SSD that says "Made in the USA" on it?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by dennismurphy:

Where else will you find an SSD that says "Made in the USA" on it?

Is it really? Maybe "Assembled" into the casing, packaged, etc, but the PCB and its components are made in asia.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by HiVolt:

said by dennismurphy:

Where else will you find an SSD that says "Made in the USA" on it?

Is it really? Maybe "Assembled" into the casing, packaged, etc, but the PCB and its components are made in asia.

Of course, it says it contains domestic and foreign parts. You and I both know that there's no memory plants here in the USA, of course.

But it is assembled here, and that's a huge step. If they could source memory from the USA, I'd be willing to bet they would.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Micron has a plant in Virginia and there are plenty of PCB manufacturers in CA alone, so it's possible most of it is from the US.

Even Hynix has an Oregon Fab. Not sure what parts they make there, though.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_se···n_plants
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

happy4ya
Premium
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to not quite right

said by not quite right:

Which Mini do you have? Same deal here, have a mid 2011 I5 Mini, picked up the same SSD as you and upped the Ram from 8 to 16GB and this thing flies. Everything happens about as fast as I click the mouse button.

The Mini was very sluggish with the stock 5400rpm drive in it. I never realized how bad it was until I bought a 2006 iMac on here for my son with a C2D in it and it seemed to run circles around my Mini.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by happy4ya:

The Mini was very sluggish with the stock 5400rpm drive in it. I never realized how bad it was until I bought a 2006 iMac on here for my son with a C2D in it and it seemed to run circles around my Mini.

Yeah it's a shame that they still sell machines with 5400 rpm drives... Whats the point of having a decent cpu & memory when the disk is such a bottleneck...

Maybe this Fusion Drive thing will catch on and will get a lot less expensive in the future...
--

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to happy4ya

Sounds like the same Mini. It baffles me that 5,400rpm drives are still made, let alone put in a modern computer.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

said by not quite right:

Sounds like the same Mini. It baffles me that 5,400rpm drives are still made, let alone put in a modern computer.

I am sure on the laptop front they will still cite power consumption.

Anything like a mini or bigger though they have no excuse, anything not a tablet or laptop is running off AC power so there is no battery life worries.

for full sized 3.5" HDD I am kind of surprised no other company has pushed into the 10k RPM market. Seems only Western Digital with their gamer angled Raptor drives is above 7200 for non-SCSI/SAS
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports