Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mario44222

join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ
reply to mario44222

Re: Business Quantum Speeds!!!

Got conflicting info again.. Hopefully they can get me at 75/35.

yurimaster

join:2009-09-28
Alexandria, VA
reply to yurimaster

I call Verizon this morning and ask him if he can bump me to 75/35. He said it will go in to effect his evening. Now I get home and run the verizon speedtest but only getting 57.77 megs down. The upload speeds are normal.

yurimaster

Alexandria, VA
reply to McBane

Turns out they made a mistake, they increase my speeds to 50/35
I have to call the billing department when they open at 8:30 dammit...

mario44222

Cliffside Park, NJ

My upgrade apparently never happened yet...

mario44222

Cliffside Park, NJ

Ugh.. so another rep says its not available and its only 50/25, 150/65, 300/65. The price jump from 35M/35M is an additional 139/mo .. so no way.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

So 75/35 isn't even on the business website as an option?

I'd demand a supervisor, most of the sales people have no idea what they're talking about, they just put in orders. Sounds like the system might be broke for your area and it's confusing them.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
reply to mario44222

If you are on a Motorola BPON ONT, you can't get anything faster than 50/25 unless you get a new GPON ONT installed.

mario44222

Cliffside Park, NJ

Thats fine if they want to replace the ONT, but then why not upgrade to 75/35 instead of forcing me to go to 150/65 and then paying an additional 100$

McBane

Plano, TX

I'm willing to bet you just had a stupid sales rep, if you talk them into upgrading to GPON (Even if that means ordering 150/65 for a day just to lower it back to 75/35 after they install the new ONT) you may have to explain the thinking behind that part to them.

That's why I usually just ask for a super when they tell me something I know isn't true. Thee supers sometimes have somewhat better critical thinking skills than your regular sales drone, sometimes...

Verizon's customer service is a PITA, all the money goes to the network. Always has, always will.

mario44222

Cliffside Park, NJ
reply to nycdave

Would it be an issue with the 61 IPs I currently have assigned to me?

mario44222

Cliffside Park, NJ

Well apparently after my 3rd call they do have a trouble ticket out I guess to their internal group so they are working on getting the upgrade done, so at least im not in the dark and got the rep's email which they will reach back to me.

McBane

Plano, TX

Curious, how much do you pay for that IP block? I have 16 (well 13 usable) and I'm paying $30 I think. For a /27 I think it's $50 but if its not much more for a /26 I may go for that.

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6
reply to McBane

You are being forced to 150 most likely because the figures work in benefit of dollars to the company. Your trouble ticket will most likely result in the same experience as before. Its gpon 150+ or bpon 50 and below

mario44222

Cliffside Park, NJ
reply to McBane

The 61 (/26) IP block is $120/mo

McBane

Plano, TX
reply to Onedollar

Oh damn they more than double down on you for a /26 then, that sucks...

Onedollar, I'm on GPON with business 75/35. If they tell you they can't do that it's BS. They probably are trying to get the 150 sale, but lying to do it isn't the way to go, but doesn't surprise me in the least for a verizon sales rep to pull something like that. Sometimes the trick is to just ask for a super or just keep calling back till you get someone with half a brain. Most of the time when I got a ticket open for something they resolved it properly since it's actual engineers working on the issue and not some sales or tech support drone, the tickets just takes some time to get completed.

The old motorola or Tellabs BPON, I forget the exact one but it's the first fios ONT that came out, does have issues going over 35Mbps though (But that doesn't explain why 50/20 is an option)

yurimaster

Alexandria, VA
reply to McBane

I called VZ sales and I was able to get 75/35 for the same price of 35/35, ran speedtest and getting 86/38. I'm really happy now. I still pay the same price but got more than 100% increase for download, this is a steal
»www.speedtest.net/result/2322884366.png

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6
reply to McBane

Mcbane, were you on Telllabs bpon or Moto? Thats the difference

said by McBane:

Oh damn they more than double down on you for a /26 then, that sucks...

Onedollar, I'm on GPON with business 75/35. If they tell you they can't do that it's BS. They probably are trying to get the 150 sale, but lying to do it isn't the way to go, but doesn't surprise me in the least for a verizon sales rep to pull something like that. Sometimes the trick is to just ask for a super or just keep calling back till you get someone with half a brain. Most of the time when I got a ticket open for something they resolved it properly since it's actual engineers working on the issue and not some sales or tech support drone, the tickets just takes some time to get completed.

The old motorola or Tellabs BPON, I forget the exact one but it's the first fios ONT that came out, does have issues going over 35Mbps though (But that doesn't explain why 50/20 is an option)

mario44222

Cliffside Park, NJ
reply to McBane

I have to check the ONT.. but you might be right being a BPON motorola.. but when I asked verizon about a tech being dispatched to to upgrade the ONT they said it was not required...

McBane

Plano, TX

1 edit

I was originally on a Tellabs 611 when I ordered FiOS back in 2007, then when I moved apartments to a bigger unit I upgraded to a 612. Luckily I never had that crappy unit. Both of those units had no issue going over 35Mbps from what I understand, but I only had 25/25 (originally) which became 35/35. Looking at the FAQ it looks like that crappy ONT I'm thinking of was the Tellabs 610, the upload was limited to 29Mbps. Unfortunately I can't find a good pic of one.

I'm on a Motorola 1000GT4 now.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to McBane

Wow, you people forget how much T1, T3's cost . Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa LOL

Oh, and ordering a residential account into an obvious business location? See how well you fare when a technician arrives in your office. Better do some renovations first.

McBane

Plano, TX

T1s and T3s are things of the past. I feel for anyone who is still on such antiquated technology.

I have a business account at my house. They don't ask you for your business permit or anything, everyone has the option for either one. The business accounts just come with static IPs, and the option to order subnets. My company does pay for the internet portion of mine, though since I work from home.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

3 edits

said by McBane:

T1s and T3s are things of the past.

Well.... yes and no. Remember these ordinary broadband connections are "best effort" with no SLA. If something breaks on a Saturday evening, you might not see a truck roll until Monday. The SLA on our T-1 is 2 hours, 24x7x365. Doesn't matter if it's Christmas eve. If the T-1 goes down, it gets immediate attention.

said by McBane:

I feel for anyone who is still on such antiquated technology.

Yeah, I just turned up a new T-1 at a location that is JUST over the line between Verizon and AT&T territory. Just 3 miles south is a location currently on FIOS, and eligible to upgrade to Quantum speeds.

But the new location can't even get DSL, so we had to go T-1 for the bargain price of $350/mo. Welcome back to 20th century speeds.

McBane

Plano, TX

Ya, I'm very well aware of the SLAs on T1s and T3s since I used to install them in the late 90s and early 2000s. The SLAs probably won't last much longer either since Telcos seem content on letting their copper die off now.

You really think all those people in NYC got their SLA when Verizon's cable vault was flooded out? You think a majority of those are up now weeks after the storm? And the real kicker, do you really think all of those T1s and T3s are going to be replaced?

Take a look at the NYC flood sticky on here and the pic of the chainsawed off copper conduits just sitting there ready to be ripped out and replaced with fiber.

Copper is dead, it's only a matter of time till the copper death comes to you:

»/r0/download/2···erge.jpg

rebus9

Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

1 edit

said by McBane:

You really think all those people in NYC got their SLA when Verizon's cable vault was flooded out? You think a majority of those are up now weeks after the storm? And the real kicker, do you really think all of those T1s and T3s are going to be replaced?

That will depend on whether (a) Verizon does the "right" thing, (b) regulations force them to honor their open access agreements for some period of time, or (c) converting to fiber means all previous agreements are rendered null & void.

I have a couple of locations (medical) on enterprise fiber for data. They also have T-1s for voice (full-spread PRIs). Rather than run copper AND fiber, the carrier chose to deliver the PRIs over the same fiber used to deliver the data circuit.

At the customer end, a media converter turns the fiber into copper Ethernet, handed to another router which takes Ethernet as input, and outputs into a T1 signal the PBX needs.

In other words, a T-1 can (quite easily) be delivered to the premises via fiber and converted on-site back into copper. No problem.

So it's not that Verizon CAN'T honor their committments to the CLECs. It will be interesting to see if they DO, or if they use this as the golden opportunity they've been waiting for to get the CLECs off their network.

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to McBane

We used to have T3's in the '00s... replaced with two active and 6 dark OC3s... SLAs have been met every time - including 20 second downtime during Sandy... it's a question of how much you are willing to pay for redundancy... You can still get 99.999% overall connectivity without any issue...

FIOS is best effort - billed as such and services as such... If you run a business and rely on internet and only have FIOS don't complain when you are down... Maybe your CFO did the math and figured out it's cheaper to be down 1 day a year in average vs. paying for true redundancy...

McBane

Plano, TX

SONET circuits don't use the copper infrastructure, though. That's why I don't understand the need or use for older DS1s/DS3s unless it's something very rural (And even those will eventually go to fiber)

rebus9

Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

said by McBane:

SONET circuits don't use the copper infrastructure, though. That's why I don't understand the need or use for older DS1s/DS3s unless it's something very rural (And even those will eventually go to fiber)

Because it's simple and cheap to install a T-1. Copper is everywhere and fiber is not (yet). SONET terminating equipment is far more expensive, while a T-1 smartjack and CSU/DSU are dirt cheap.

It's a matter of economics and simplicity.

Also, SONET is more appropriate for long-haul, metro, and deep-pockets enterprise applications. Fiber in the form of B/G/X/PON is more cost effective for mass deployments to customers.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to McBane

Well I've done the switch back to residential from business. When I put the order in for residential 300/65, the tech told me I would need a new ONT for the higher speeds. Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't the 1500GT support 300mb/s also? A new ONT was put in model Motorola 1000-GTJ4, much smaller than the 1500GT! Maybe it was due to going from business to residential?

Speeds looking great:

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by serge87:

Well I've done the switch back to residential from business. When I put the order in for residential 300/65, the tech told me I would need a new ONT for the higher speeds. Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't the 1500GT support 300mb/s also? A new ONT was put in model Motorola 1000-GTJ4, much smaller than the 1500GT! Maybe it was due to going from business to residential?

Speeds looking great:

[att=1]

\

Serge were they able to switch your connection with little downtime or did it require a complete disconnect/reconnect order? I need to do this too because there is just no way that business is worth twice the cost of the residential package.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to McBane

My switch from res-to-business took less than 1 hour. However, the switch from business-to-residential took longer due to the ONT confusion. I was down for 24 hours until a tech could come out and swap the ONT. I'm not sure why that was necessary, as the person who took my residential order confirmed I had a GEN3 router and a GPON ONT and assured me I would be back up in less than 2-3 hours.

If you do decide to place the order, I would do it 8am sharp(or whatever the time is for you) when the call center opens so after the order is placed they may be able to get a tech in by the end of the day and downtime would be minimal.